Fiat JTD Engines - Mr Moo
Hello All,

I've recently posted an item under the 'Discussion' section but, on reflection, wondered whether it might be more appropriate under this section. I'm looking at the possibility of buying a Fiat Marea Weekend JTD 130 (5 cylinder 2.4 common rail diesel). These appear to be a bit like hens teeth but c. £3k would get me a 99 T reg. For similar money, I would only be able to afford the indirect injection XUD TD engines in the likes of 306/405, Xsara etc and I quite fancy the 5 pot common rail unit in the Fiat. Does anybody have any experience of these engines and their general reliability? I haven't really read any regular horror storiess and the Car-by-car breakdown doesn't appear to highlight any problems. Strikes me as a very cost effective way of getting a reasonably up to date diesel engine. Does anybody else know different??!
Fiat JTD Engines - tr7v8
Mine in a 156 did a Turbo at 40K miles, replacement wasn't a fortune, around £700 all in, spoke to Turbo Technics who said it needs more frequent oil changes, IE 12K miles is too many, should be 6K max. Otherwise (touching wood) no probs.
Goes like hell, relatively quiet for a diesel and average 40MPG which improves hugely if I slow down, which I don't. Mine is an early 140BHP JTD. Highly recommended.
And now Vauxhall will be putting it in the grey porridge they sell, though how their chassis will respond to the extra power will be interesting!

Jim
Fiat JTD Engines - Roly93
I believe also that these engines will be used in the SAAB 93 Sport saoon later this year.