Vauxhall Zafira - bikemade3

Just bought today from local VX dealer new Zafira 2.0 DT Energy. Special edition model( 2k cheaper than Elegence or Design) metallic paint,alloys with 205/55 R16, ABS,Traction control,CD player, Tinted windows, EW F+ R, Heated mirrors, for £13995. tried the 1.6 found it to be a bit underpowered ( £13055)and a 1.8, but the 1.8 was not available as this special edition.
Apart from some people having issues with excessive oil consumption any other niggly faults that owners would like to report.
I intend to keep untill 70/80K about 10 years so depreciation not a factor. Anybody know if it's a belt or Chain driven cam shaft.

Vauxhall Zafira - Altea Ego
We have several on our company fleet, apart from the oil consumption on the diesel, which you know about and may be fixed now anyway, the only other major problem doing the rounds is theft of the spare wheel from the carrier underneath.
The reported oil consumption problem was the primary reason for a 1.8, however i am sure that it has now been addressed VX must sell 1000's of these engines and not all use oil. Any idea if it's a cam chain i have heard that the 2.0 DTI engine had a chain.
Vauxhall Zafira - Dynamic Dave
Car By Car breakdown suggests it's got a chain.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m

Dave
Thanks for that called in the dealer yesterday, as they had called no "Energy Blue" with Charcoal trim available in UK.Might be ab able to get a blue trim. Anyway confirmed that it is indeed a camchain and not belt. Phone call today no Blue ( of 2 different shade) or red 2,0 TD Zafiras available in UK ( Allegedly. Option offered by dealer have a silver we've got load of them.Dealer advised get a "Energy Blue" as ordered with either charcoal or blue interior or deal's off and i want my deposit(£250) back.
Phone call 10 mins later exact car will be available Mid to end July as required at same price as the deals have proved to be so good that they are going to rerun it but possibly jack the prices. Result SWMBO happy albeit she's still driving the ZX for another month.
Vauxhall Zafira - machika
I assume you have gone off the idea of another Citroen then?
Not at all the only reason to buy the Zafira is i need a bigger car. You cannot very well fit a growing family of a 4 year old and a 12 month old in the back of SWMBO ZX.I know cause i caught the smallest head trying to get her in on Saturday ( she's fine). If it wasn,t for that i,ld keep the ZX and run it into the ground. The Zafira will be the family car and my Mondeo will be used for the daily 25 mile commute.
Well, one could say it is arguable whether a ZX is big enough for a mother and two young children. They are, after all, designed to seat four adults. I had one myself (five door), for three years, and often carried four adults. They are no less roomy than a lot of cars of that class that around today, like the Focus and Astra. I also had Peugeot 309s for seven years, in which I often carried four adults.

However, ignoring that viewpoint (with which you obviously don't agree), I was thinking of the Picasso, which you seem to have discounted. It is much cheaper than the Zafira, with a choice of very good diesel engines, which are much more frugal than the 2.0 DTI in the Vauxhall. The Picasso 1.6 HDI is about 10mpg better than the Vauxhall, across all types of motoring conditions.
Had not thought of the Picasso as the requirement will arise in a few years to carry the childrens friends.So the requirement for a 7 seater albeit with the seats down when not in use wa a factor. Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra to pricey thought about a 307SW £1500 more expensive.
As it,s being paid for with my hard earned cash VFM no1 priority.
We have an interesting scenario here. Is there now to be a social requirement for all families to have vehicles that will provide transport for the childrens' friends? Do you expect the parents of your childrens' friends to do the same?

Could it be that 4/5 seat cars are now redundant as family transport?
Vauxhall Zafira - drof
Before you drive your new car away, insist that the dealer fits a lock on the spare wheel - otherwise you may not have one after a few hours of parking on the road. We have just found that ours has gone, and searching the net in Google under Zafira spare wheel will give you more stories. Be warned!!