What should I buy....help! - Carmad 10000
Hi everyone,

Things are going well at Honda and I have now got myself a very nice Civic as my company car. So to cut a long story short, I sold my Mini last week and am in need of a car to have some fun with as obviously, the Civic is nice, but I cant do anything to it!

I cant see the point of buying a Honda - as i drive them every day and I fancy something different as a consiquence.

As far as i see it i have 2 choices:

1. Get something fun, raw and wild - for weekends etc..
2. Get a medium exec car like a 3 series coupe, lexus IS200

My criteria is:

MUST seat at least 2 people - preferably 4 sometimes
MUST do 0-60mph in under 10 seconds
MUST be respectable to drive
MUST be under £12.5k
MUST be insurable! - i am 19 and my mum will be using the car most of the time, so i will be a named driver - she has 2 years NCB, no convictions, no accidents, driving 33 years

I have soo far thought about a VW Lupo GTI, Hyundai Coupe 2.0, BMW 318ci, Lexus IS200.

I dont get much time off of work anymore so I plan to look at the best car and tuesday and make a commitment this week. Can anyone put forward their thoughts?

cheers,

Chris
What should I buy....help! - malteser
Skoda Fabia VR6. 130 BHP, 6 speed box & Deisel.- Pocket Rocket,

Surprise your pals!
Roger in Spain
What should I buy....help! - Turbodog
Mazda mx-5; seats 2, 0-60 8.4 secs, you'll get a really nice one for 12K, Ins Gp 12A, and the BEST fun to drive. In fact I'm going out in mine now; best time of day with the sun going down and the wind in your hair, heated seats on & Hendrix on the CD....
What should I buy....help! - Middle Earth
What is wrong with you man lol, get an S2000.
What should I buy....help! - Turbodog
What is wrong with you man lol, get an S2000.

Under £12.5K ?
Insured for a 19 yr old?
What should I buy....help! - Citroënian {P}
What do you mean, sold the MINI? ;-)

Go buy another!

I'd find an Avantime, the V6 3.0 is awesome and a search on Renault UK shows some under £12k. As for the insurance though....ouch!

Why not get an MX-5 and when you need four seats, hire something or get someone else to drive (plus, you could then drink yourself!)

Best of luck,
Lee.

PS - you're still nuts to have sold the MINI...
--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
What should I buy....help! - Wilco {P}
Glad to hear things are good at Honda.

Go test drive an Ibiza TDi Sport.
What should I buy....help! - Hawesy1982
Or the FR version - same as the Sport but better handling.

Just group 7/8 insurance too, best 0-60 time for the insurance rating that you'll find anywhere

Just two years till i finish uni and can afford one...
What should I buy....help! - paulb {P}
Or the FR version - same as the Sport but better
handling.
Just group 7/8 insurance too, best 0-60 time for the insurance
rating that you'll find anywhere
Just two years till i finish uni and can afford one...

The 0-60, although pretty impressive, isn't the half of it - the in-gear acceleration is ferocious. In third gear it is possible to severely embarrass your average Cooper S away from roundabouts.

Extremely good fuel economy, too - very long top gear (38 mph/1,000 rpm) means that the engine is barely turning over at motorway speeds and you'll get 55 mpg on a run without difficulty.

Handling is not a strength, though - very nose-heavy thanks to 1.9-litre cast-iron lump over front wheels and can understeer very badly (I found this out the hard way, believe me). I understand that the dealer-fit strut brace improves matters.