Tyre Speed and Load spec - Durelli
Hi,

I'm not sure if this as been asked before, but a site search didn't find anything.

My car came with 225/45 R17 91 Y tyres. It's a diesal estate.

Apparently the high speed rating is there because of the load the tyre can come under, but 91 is the load rating saying the tyre can withstand 615Kg.

I got some new tyres at the weekend, Kumho were cheap tyres with a good name so I went for them, I was offered a choice of the standard tyre or reinforced tyre, but told I didn't need the reinforced tyre.

When I got home I found the tyre was 91 W rated.

If the car came with 91 Y's, should it remain on 91 Y's? Why would it need Y rating?

cheers

Durelli - son of a famous Italian tyre maker
Tyre Speed and Load spec - Civic8
www.tyresave.co.uk/tyrspeed.html

Hope it helps
Tyre Speed and Load spec - Durelli
So I've gone from

ZR+ Speed Symbol "Y" Tyres marked with both designations for vehicles with speed capability over 240 Km/h but not exceeding 300 Km/h

to

ZR+ Speed Symbol "W" Tyres marked with both designations for vehicles with speed capability over 240 Km/h but not exceeding 270 Km/h

However, I doubt my car can get anywhere near these speeds. This also doesn't mention load on the Tyre.

I found the goodyear website was useful for info on Tyres.

cheers

Durelli - son of a famous Italian tyre maker
Tyre Speed and Load spec - Stuartli
As 100kph is 62.5mph all you appear to have done is switch to tyres intended for vehicles not able to exceed about 170mph rather than about 187mph.

Unless you've going down a very, very long steep hill with a following hurricane, I don't think you need to worry too much...:-)

Tyre Speed and Load spec - OldPeculiar
Don't forget that you'll need a sail (flag) to help you attain that speed as well!
Tyre Speed and Load spec - Sooty Tailpipes
The Owner's manual should tell you the speed rating letter, or maybe a sticker with tyre pressures will too. IMHO there is nothing to be gained by having a higher than specified speed rating, other than a stiffer ride.
Tyre Speed and Load spec - Civic8
Sorry gave you the wrong site.

www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/care/mar...p