Help! Honda binding brake caliper - Mikey Jay
Nearside rear brake caliper is overheating. Checked that handbrake mechanism is releasing properly. Took out pads which were binding and cleaned etc. The caliper is a single piston type and one that you turn clockwise to retract. Can a blocked hose cause the caliper to stay on? I am now about to order a reputable reconditioned unit. Should I check for anything else first? Can a binding brake cause a fire? The brakes were originally fitted with backing shims but my local supplier told me that they don't bother to fit these nowadays. Many thanks Mikey.
Help! Honda binding brake caliper - Civic8
Its unlikely a blocked hose will cause it.usually the bolts that hold inner/outer sections together will have a sliding sleeve so the outer section of caliper can slide easily.if the sleeves get dust/dirt in them they stick.causing the pad to stick.can be cured by taking apart and cleaning them up then apply smear of coppergrease/copperslip.I do mean a smear.If you do replace would suggest both calipers are not just one as imbalance in braking can occur
Help! Honda binding brake caliper - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Agree with mech1, clean the rust and scale off the pad carrier so the pads are free to move then a smear of copper grease. While you have the caliper off make sure the sliders on the caliper carrier move in and out easily and the rubber bellows are sound. As mech1 rightly says, replace one-replace BOTH.
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Help! Honda binding brake caliper - Mikey Jay
Thanks Andrew and Mech1. Have cleaned the sliders and put silicon grease on them as recommended by manual. I expect the cylinder is corroded. Thanks for both replies. Will use new washers on end of brake hoses.All the best Mike.