new car for just over 3 grand! - barney100
Found an article relating to a Renault shortly I believe to be sold to eastern europe from Renault for just about £3200. Very little in the way of creature comforts of course but if you only need a car that gets you from a to b this seems a brilliant concept. Just think what can't go wrong....electric windows and sunroof,air con,power steering, etc etc. Of course it is not to be sold here as the Twingo wasn't, what a shame: Iwould have my name on the list presto.
new car for just over 3 grand! - frostbite
"Found an article relating to a Renault shortly"

Sounds like a good name for it.
new car for just over 3 grand! - carl_a
It?s made by Dacia a Romanian company owned by Renault, cars are sold around this price in Eastern Europe, Russia, India etc. They sell something that competes with Dacia here in the UK its called a City Rover, but MG-Rover think its worth £6500.

People in this country would rather buy something second hand for £3000 than buy a new basic car.
new car for just over 3 grand! - BazzaBear {P}
They sell something that competes with Dacia here in the UK
its called a City Rover, but MG-Rover think its worth £6500.
People in this country would rather buy something second hand for
£3000 than buy a new basic car.

Personally, I'd rather buy something second-hand for £6500 than buy a new basic car.
For that matter, until I can honestly afford to spend £30k+ on a car, I think I'll always be attracted to the second-hand market.
If you say that an averagely decent brand new car is maybe £15k, and then look on the second hand market at exactly how much car you can get for that price, I really don't see the point in spending the money on a lesser car, which will lose more money as you drive it out of the showroom than the second hand one does in it's first two years.
new car for just over 3 grand! - malteser
My goodness - the Dacia - now there's a blast from the past!
They used to make a version of the old Renault 12 and some brave soul imported the vile things into the UK. They were, without a doubt the worst built heap of old iron ever to cross the channel!
Much, much worse than the Polski Fiat, Yugo or Ladas. They could be relied upon to lose gearbox oil with regularity and their electrics were on a par with the worst Iron Curtain country products. In fact IIRC the Romanians supplied electrics to the Lada factory, which probably is the reason we were always replacing the darned fuse boxes and alternators!
I had a pal who foolishly took an agency and at one time he had five brand new ones in his in his yard all with problems which made them unsaleable!
Roger in Spain
new car for just over 3 grand! - Kuang
Blast from the past indeed - I remember living a few doors down from the (proud?) owner of a Dacia Duster. What a horrible little flimsy box, that was - I'd hate to see what would have happened if it had actually come into contact with anything bumpier than a gravel driveway..

I wonder if he's better now? ;)
new car for just over 3 grand! - spikeyhead {p}
I'd be quite happy to shell out £3k for a new car, free from all the trimmings so there is much less to go wrong.

Stick a cmall turbo diesel engine in a light medium sized car to give 50+ mpg and it would sell very well, even at $4k.

It narks me that the only things that are going wrong with my old Cavalier are annoying electric things. I'm quite happy to wind a handle to open a window etc.

If I can do more of the maintenance myself then I'll be even happier.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
new car for just over 3 grand! - Hugo {P}
The last time someone tried to market a no frills car, we ended up with the Lada - beware we may just get what we ask for!

Joking aside, I think that a basic car of this nature would be a good move for the british market. It would take a brave manufacturer to pedal one though.

I think the problem is that Western Europe is seen as being sufficiently affluent to afford paying top dollar for reasonably well specced motors. Having said that there were those CKD Maestros.....

The other option is for a canny importer to get them here. He would have no competition, only he would need to convert them to Right Hand Drive...

Hugo
Oy - the Lada wasn't a BAD car . The Riva range, whilst not the most advanced car in the world would, if looked after keep going for years!
The plot was lost a bit wth the Samara which really wasn't up to competing with the modern hatches of its day. In spite of that it drove pretty well and it was cheap! The finish was awful and the standard seats diabolically uncomfortable until the importers spent time sorting the seating before releasing the cars to thier dealers.The 1500 cc went pretty well too!
Roger in Spain
Even with one finger typing my typos glare at one - sorry!
Roger in Spain
new car for just over 3 grand! - trancer
I would rather have a used car with all the toys than a brand new stripped one. I enjoy driving and don't view it as an undesirable task therefore I buy cars that are enjoyable to drive even if they are 10 years older and the same price as a brand new one.