Lunatics at large - Alvin Booth
Have you all heard the reports regarding the incidents happening around Ashbourne in Derbyshire which is fairly local to me.
There has been over 40 incidents in the last few weeks where objects have been flung through windscreens of moving vehicles.
The most tragic was an Ambulanceman who was seriously injured and has lost one eye. My daughter went to school with this young man.
The Police who have been on local radio frequently seem to have no leads as to exactly how it is happening. It seems to occur after dark and they are assuming I think that these objects (including an iron bar) are being thrown from another moving vehicle, and have set up patrols in the Ashbourne area and appealed to the public for help. Many people understandably are afraid to travel around Ashbourne after dark whilst these people are at large.
It is hard to imagine the depths of wickedness of these criminals and even more to understand the leniency with which they will receive when hopefully they are apprehended. Darcy will probably know the latest on these incidents as I believe he also lives locally.
Alvin
Re: Lunatics at large - ladas are cool
close to where i live, a bridge over the A1 is often in the papers, because loads of people are injured when little sods (i was going to say something else, but i wont) throw stuff off the bridge. last week a lorry driver was badly injured when a piece of brick came through his window, also the lorry went across two lanes and hit a car, the motorway was closed for 3 hours. i think the culprits should be put in a cell and they should throw away the key.
Re: Lunatics at large - THe Growler
Of course, when/if they're caught, the preachers and nannies will recommend counselling for these poor disturbed creatures.
Re: Lunatics at large - me
a friend of mine who is a teacher knows about this one

i) group of school kids (lads about 15) throwing bricks at passing cars
ii) hit a car that just happens to be full of big blokes
iii) to the shock of the kids the car stops
iv) blokes get out
v) blokes grab hold of kids and take them down the local police station

parents are down the nick the same night screaming "abduction" "unlawful arrest" etc etc, never once told the kids off

(it was actually a pretty clear cut legal citizens arrest situation)

er the coppers gave them a talking to, and let them straight back out

parents still furious the next day and happily tell the school about the outrageous abduction...
Re: Lunatics at large - Growlette
QED, alas
Re: Lunatics at large - Tomo
But then, any time a Tory called for effective action he was assailed by the massed do-gooders howling abuse - like "fascist"!
Re: Lunatics at large - New Labour New Crime
This Government appeases criminals, and to hell with the decent majority.

Sadly the Tories were crap too.

Though I think Islam is a nasty religion, perhapps the implementation of sharia law for crime would be acceptable.
Re: Lunatics at large - The Growler
Alas while Sharia Law is rigorously applied in Saudi Arabia, it doesn't do anything to improve the driving there! If you have ever seen a Cadillac Eldorado broken in half, yes in half, like the one which used to adorn the roadside leading to Riyadh Airport's General Aviation terminal, you'd get the idea. But I do like the idea of chopping off hands for nicking things. Done in public at noon on Fridays.
Re: Lunatics at large - Stuart B
I mentioned this in an earlier thread.

Status is still the same with police stepping up patrols. I understand the roads it has been happening on are the A52, A515 and the A517 which is basically all the A roads through Ashbourne.

Not sure how easy it will be to catch whoever is doing this unless the police stop and search every vehicle at intervals. No doubt then we would have the civil liberties mob squeaking. Bit of a breach of one's liberty to have a lump of concrete or iron bar taking your eye out. Not good, Ashbourne is off my patch now fortunately.
Re: Lunatics at large - Darcy Kitchin
Alvin,
Must be thinking of someone else, I live in North Yorkshire.