Citroen Xsara Hdi automatic nightmare - wurly
I have a Citroen Xsara estate Hdi 110bhp 2.0 automatic, which has given me no end of grief from the moment I bought it. The gears 'slip' when acelerating through 2nd + 3rd on a cold start. They also change at random, and have a reluctance to change down when they should, forcing the engine to labour and shake under the strain.

I have pursued 9 months (£3000 worth!) of warranty repairs with my Citroen dealer, who after software upgrades, replacement electro valve, hydraulic block and a new gearbox have declared that they themselves and the Citroen UK technical department don't know how to fix it. (Great help!) I am now with a car that is dangerous to drive, and effectively a heap of junk!!!

I am currently trying to negotiate a refund through the dealer/Citroen UK... but we all know that won't be easy...

There is another guy I know through the same dealer that has the same car with the same problem and he can't get his fixed either. Has anyone else out there had a similar problem with their hdi auto???

Citroen Xsara Hdi automatic nightmare - MW
If this was purchased from an official Citroen dealer, and they cannot fix it, you have a product 'Not fit for the purpose'. It can do anything, except go, progress, and stop properly, rather a key feature in a motor vehicle. Only a full (or milage adjusted') refund will do. Inform the dealer and Citroen HQ this is your course of action, as Citreon have admitted they cannot fix a Citroen car. Add if you are forced to take legal action, you will make a full claim for all additional costs and expenses. I would think this is the clearest case a small claims court could adjudicate on.
Let us know how it goes.
Citroen Xsara Hdi automatic nightmare - Altea Ego
It would be good at this stage to get a statement (in writing if possible) from the garage to the effect that

1/ They admit there is a problem with this car
2/ They have no cure.
Citroen Xsara Hdi automatic nightmare - wurly
I have written to the dealer informing them that I am rejecting the car on the basis that it is not fit for the purpose intended, and insisting on a mileage adjusted refund from the dealer. we are in negotiations at the moment...

thanks for your advice.

Anyone out there had this problem with their hdi auto??
Citroen Xsara Hdi automatic nightmare - Ben79
There have been a lot of 2.0 HDI auto problems discussed on autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/c5-l/ . It seems some dealers are now able to perform a software update that substantially improves matters.