Steering Hiss - Mazda 323 - Mazda Owner
Any other owner of a Mazda 323 (model year 2001) experience a hiss from the steering when turning the wheel a few degrees once the car has warmed through?

Mazda UK has already replaced the steering rack and the power steering pump but the problem is still apparent.

Mazda UK now expresses it will not invesitgate the matter any further despite the car still being under the manaufacturer\'s warranty. Evidently, they claim, it is a characteristic of the 323\'s steering.
Steering Hiss - Mazda 323 - Altea Ego
Not uncommon for some power steering set ups to make a noise like this.
Steering Hiss - Mazda 323 - Altea Ego
I meant to add - its not a problem.
Steering Hiss - Mazda 323 - MW
If they have replaced the rack and pump, there is not much more left to do. My old SAAB 900 classic was a big hisser, especially when cold. It was never a problem.
Steering Hiss - Mazda 323 - kithmo
Could be something as simple as the drive belt.
Steering Hiss - Mazda 323 - Civic8
I doubt as RF said is a problem.many cars do it not just yours unless you have any steering problems would just accept it as others do.it does happen on other cars.
Steering Hiss - Mazda 323 - Mazda Owner
Thank you all for your responses. I'm of the opinion that this isn't necessarily the power steering components. When the engine is hot as well, and without turning the steering wheel, revving the engine will also create the noise.... mmmm...any opinions welcome. Thanks!