timing belt change on Golf TDI \'96 - Dante24
Hi, I was wondering how crucial it is to have the belt changed on time. Mine is due on 80,000, it\'s on 78,000 now should I do it now (I\'m planning a long weekend journey around 600 miles) or should I have it done now. Also is there anything else I neeed to know about having a timing belt changed on this model? Thanks
timing belt change on Golf TDI '96 - Malcolm_L
I'd definitely do it - if only for peace of mind.
The fact that you've posted would suggest you're concerned about it, do it and enjoy the drive rather than worry about it.

Not aware of anything unusual about changing the belt on
Golf TDI's
timing belt change on Golf TDI '96 - Dante24
Cheers, you're right I will have it done, I've ordered the parts and booked in for this Friday before we leave. Rang VW dealer for a quote; £320 aprox !!!, rang a local garage got a quote for £80-100.
timing belt change on Golf TDI '96 - Hawesy1982
It's recommended that you have the tensioner changed at the same time on most cars, have you ordered that too?

It's not crucial, just good practice
timing belt change on Golf TDI '96 - Dante24
Yes thank you, I asked a mechanic if there was anything else I would need to for a timnig belt change and he mentioned the tensioner. Any idea how long the intervals are between the changes?
timing belt change on Golf TDI '96 - Aprilia
I just ordered the parts to do a colleagues '99 Passat TDI this weekend before we go to Germany next week (some consultancy work for a well know 'prestige manufacturer', LOL!).

Anyway, I ordered from ECP to be delivered Friday, parts are (rough prices):

Belt £12
Tensioner £25
Idle pulley £20

+VAT I think. I also asked for the two auxiallary drive belts to do that at the same time (about £15), and antifreeze too. My guess is that for £80-100 they are only doing the belt and not the tensioner.
timing belt change on Golf TDI '96 - Dazz
Autodata recomend replacement every 60,000 miles,
timing belt change on Golf TDI '96 - DL
A Quinton Hazel kit which contains belt, tensioner and guidewheel is about £38+VAT

How they can do them for that money is beyond me.

The kit for my AFN 1.9TDi Audi A4 was only £44+VAT
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link