Running diesels on vegetable oil - Singer-G
I've heard that it is possible to run diesel engines on vegetable oil, but that additives are required.

What are the additives?
Does it affect the engine life?
Is the fuel economy as good as it would be on diesel?

This is for a Kubota lawn mower.
Running diesels on vegetable oil - billy25
hi singer-g
if you do a forum search for biodiesel, there are loads of postings on this subject, which will probably be of interest to you.
hope this helps

billy.
Running diesels on vegetable oil - trancer
"This is for a Kubota lawn mower."

If this wasn't added to throw off any C&E inspectors that may be lurking 8-), then why not just run it on red diesel?. Should be alot easier than trying to sort out the proper mixtures and having to worry about engine life etc. It may even be cheaper, if you planned on buying new veg oil.
Running diesels on vegetable oil - Sooty Tailpipes
The Kubotas get coked up, due to the constant and low running speed comapred to a car, if you search on google, you will find this has been the case in generators anyway.
The Kubotas get coked up, due to the constant and low
running speed comapred to a car, if you search on google,
you will find this has been the case in generators anyway.

>>

This won't be a problem. It doesn't run at low speed when the grass in the orchard is 6" high!
Its running on red diesel at the moment. My current drum is getting low, and I was considering possible alternatives. I haven't looked ito the price of the cooking oil, and I can't remember what I paid for the red diesel, so you can see I've really researched this well!

Running diesels on vegetable oil - GGH
For the last 10 years I have run my Bolens and John Deere lawn mowers with no problems on red diesel with about 5% Co-op veg. cooking oil added. The veg.oil seems to eradicate all the exhaust smoke, why it's addition eradicates smoke I don't know.
Running diesels on vegetable oil - Sooty Tailpipes
Maybe because it's an oxygenated fule, in that under the extreme heat and pressure of the cylinder it releases oxygen which makes it burn more thoroughly.

If you want to try oil, try adding it a bit at a time, to make sure it runs ok, I thin mine with 10% white spirit, but you could try 50% diesel with 50% oil to start with, maybe add a couple of percent of white spirit (to act as a atomising dispersant rather than a viscosity reducer)
Running diesels on vegetable oil - dieselhead
Also by adding veg oil you are changing the ignition quality of the fuel (reducing the cetane value). Therefore more fuel is injected prior to the start of combustion allowing more time for mixing of fuel and air. Basically fuel that's injected after combustion has started causes smoke.