Explorer still crashing on this website - Mapmaker
I daresay this will be moved to computer woes in due course, but I'm still having trouble with explorer 6.0.2800 crashing whilst using this site.

I think I read of somebody else a couple of days ago making the same complaint.

Is it just me? (It only seems to happen on this website.)
Explorer still crashing on this website - just a bloke
every now and again one of the ads that attempts to pop up will cause a debug message ( eg Do I want to run the debugger?)
I can't say which message it is tho'

I dunno if it's relevant but it seems to happen about lunchtime on most days ( for me anyway)

Cheers

JaB
Explorer still crashing on this website - Dynamic Dave
Is it just me?

No, it's also happening to me. 12 times in the last 10 minutes.

DD.
Explorer still crashing on this website - Van Driving Man
Using same version of IE, but all popups blocked and running Win98SE.

Maybe your o/s is ME or XP? And do you allow the popup ads?

Just thinking it might be a Java/ActiveX thing in the ads, rather than IE per se.

Explorer still crashing on this website - Mapmaker
o/s XP. Popups appear (and I don't imagine I should be permitted to suppress them!)
Explorer still crashing on this website - madf
xp, NAV, Norton Security.
Java VM and Sun Java all enabled.

Website has NEVER crashed for me.

Try Microsoft Windows XP help..

madf

Explorer still crashing on this website - MrWibble
Running XP - same version of explorer as OP - 2 crashes in last 1 hour. Java VM and Sun Java enabled. Other sites don't exhibit same behaviour.

No recent updates.

Hmmm .... might try it on Mozilla
Explorer still crashing on this website - Mark (RLBS)
6.0.2800, Windows 2000, all pop-ups blocked, and crashing on a regular basis - and I'm sure its pure coincidence that it started happening again after a quiet period just as the Volvo advert re-appeared.

Still, if this volvo advert didn't cause problems it wouldn't really fit in very well with any of their other ones which have messed something up to one degree or another in their turn.

The only revenge I can take is to refuse to buy their car and stuidously ignore any messages in their advert - and those two things I shall do - as well as telling all and sundry about such technical incompetence.
Explorer still crashing on this website - Algernon
I think XP could be part of the trouble. On the advice of my son-in-law, who is a computer buff both professionally and hobby wise (and runs a Hyundai Evolution coupé) I am still on 98SE (with ZoneAlarm Pro) and do not have these troubles. Alan seems to reckon that things like this happen with the likes of XP.
Explorer still crashing on this website - NARU
I go through periods of it - it seems to happen a few seconds after the page displays - almost certainly one of the adverts.
Explorer still crashing on this website - Ian D
I have logged onto this site every day or two for the last 2 years with no problems, however the last 30 minutes has seen it crash twice, nothing has changed at this end so any advice well received!!
Explorer still crashing on this website - David Horn
Running Windows XP SP2 (IE version 6.0.2900) and using Windows's own pop-up blocker. I've never had the website crash on me, either in this version of Windows or SP1.
Explorer still crashing on this website - No Do$h
XP at home and at work and PocketPC2002 on the iPAQ so I can studiously ignore my fellow commuters on SWT's 04:58 out of Poole each morning whilst reading the overnight detritus you lot post :o)

Not a single problem (apart from the iPAQ being slower than it ought to be. Must order PPC2003.....)
No Dosh
Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Explorer still crashing on this website - Mark (RLBS)
>>Must order PPC2003

haven't you got a friend who could lend you a copy ?
Explorer still crashing on this website - Dynamic Dave
>>Must order PPC2003
haven't you got a friend who could lend you a copy?

Or somewhere to download it from?

Or somewhere to download it from?

I would never condone such activities! ::: reaches for mouse and clicks on "favourites" to have a quick browse..... :::
>>Must order PPC2003
haven't you got a friend who could lend you a copy
?

Now that you mention it.....

Are you likely to be in town any time soon?
Explorer still crashing on this website - v0n
Mapmaker wrote:
I don't imagine I should be permitted to suppress them!

I can't imagine not being permitted to suppress them. The advertising industry spends big bucks to give pop-up blocking software makers something to do. You don't think they do all these adverts for us, do you? We don't watch them. When was the last time you paid attention to banner or, forgive me swearing, a pop-up? Of course it's not for us. Advertisers do it just so programmers can make their living. They need each other like flowers need bees, cars need gasoline and Norton people need Chinese virus writters. With so many people depending on you and so much money involved I feel it's my duty and obligation to make sure no browser window I spawn is used without at least two pop-up killing addons. ;D
Explorer still crashing on this website - NowWheels
It may be smart to talk about
clever ways to suppress the pop-ups and ads, but they pay
for the site so if everyone kills the pop ups and
ads there will be no site. And the first bit to
get the chop will be the bit that costs the most
and makes the least: The Backroom. Though maybe one way to
keep The Backroom funded would be to make it unaccessible except
through a guantlet of ads.

HJ, as I'm sure you know, click-through rates for advertising on websites are in long-term decline, so I'd be a little worried the long-term viability of funding the backroom in that way.

I know you've said before that you don't think subscriptions are a viable route to follow, though I still think that voluntary subs would be a good idea: pay a sub and avoid all the ads, or don't pay and don't complain about them!

Whatever about either of the above, though, how about a voluntary contribution facility, perhaps using paypal? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how much that could bring in.
Explorer still crashing on this website - malteser
I have accessed this site with Internet Explorer (latest & updated fully), Netscape, Mozilla Firefox, Avant Browser and Opera.
I run Zone Alarm pro,(pop up blocker activated), and FlashSwitch,(Flash playbck de-activated) and not only have none of these browsers crashed, but also I never get pop-ups or Flash animations!
Roger.
Explorer still crashing on this website - Peter D
Download AdAware and run this. Goto C, Documents & Settings and locate your Temporary files, Highlight all the contents ( Not the Folder ) and delete. Then go into cookies and do the same and history and do the same. That should fix it. If you have History Kill or Zone Alarm then these tools do that for you Regards Peter
Explorer still crashing on this website - harry m
i run windows xp home i find when scrolling down threads when it comes to the volvo ad it slows dramatically then speeds up when past it, it did this with the bt broadband ad that was there recently which i thought was rather ironic.forgot to mention am on broadband.
Explorer still crashing on this website - Garethj
Explorer still crashing? Could it be due to the tyres? Ta boom dsh

(Motoring related gag, but only just)

I'm running XP Pro and it's fine for me but I don't have any pop-up blocker.

Gareth
Explorer still crashing on this website - pmh
Having had some problems with crashing of IE on this machine XP Pro (but no SP) I thought I would try Mozilla. Wish I had done it years ago. Faster, pop up blocking and no crashes to date I just hope Microsoft dont buy them out and spoil good software!

pmh (was peter)
Explorer still crashing on this website - Pugugly {P}
Windows XP Home. Zone Alarm Pro installed of late crashing no longer an issue. By the way I run the BT/Yahoo browser as well as IE. Does not affect the BT product.
Explorer still crashing on this website - Welliesorter
By the way I run the BT/Yahoo browser
as well as IE. Does not affect the BT product.

As far as I know the BT Yahoo! browser is a heavily customised version of IE.
I just hope Microsoft
dont buy them out and spoil good software!

They can't. Mozilla is open source. Are you using Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox? The latter is faster and a better choice if you don't need the built in mail/news and web page composer.
Explorer still crashing on this website - Colin M
I switched to Mozilla primarily prompted by the pop ups here. Occasionally I have to use IE when travelling and the annoying ads appear again. I really don't think this form of advertising is the way to go and send a copy of a weekend broadsheet article on the topic to Dave asking him to forward it to HJ. Did you get that?

Explorer still crashing on this website - pmh
I have briefly tried Firefox and can see no immediate advantages. It does not seem any faster (altho initial load time maybe better) running on a 1000Mhz machine. Is it really worth the hassle of transferring all links and resetting up passwords etc? I am surprised that it imports settings (links) from IE when Mozilla exists on machine already. Maybe I have missed something, can I import cookie set up etc.

pmh (was peter)
Explorer still crashing on this website - Phil G
HJ, you have often said that the backroom costs the most to run and you need the ad revenue to keep it going. I wonder why these costs are so high. Although quite big, bandwidth to service a forum of this size can be had very cheaply from the US. Is this forum inherently inefficient with its bandwidth use? How much transfer per month does it use? For example, I have a dedicated server in the US with 1000Gb transfer a month which could easily service the BR (I think) which costs me $79/month.
Explorer still crashing on this website - L'escargot
The only time my computer crashes is when I read this thread!
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Is it
really worth the hassle of transferring all links and resetting up
passwords etc?

If you're happy with Mozilla proper, probably not. I find the load speed (933 Mhz so only marginally slower than yours) to be the main obstacle to adopting full Mozilla. If Firefox didn't exist, I'd be almost as vocal an advocate of full Mozilla.

I have found that certain configuration files (eg cookies.txt which contains cookies) are interchangeable between the two, making migration easier.
HJ, do you lease your server in the UK or abroad? You might find you're paying nearly twice as much as you should be.

I currently pay $149 per month for a dedicated server in America, which I switched to when I realised that I was paying £149 in the UK for less power and less bandwidth.

Ads are a part of the internet, as they are of television. However, I make a point on my site of never, ever, using pop-up ads and I find that visitors are the happier for it.

What I would suggest is introducing a subscriber version of the site - we pay £x per month to see the site without pop-ups and other ads, while Joe "Normal Visitor" Bloggs gets the ads, which he can chose to turn off if he subscribes. You structure the price so we pay enough to justify the cost of removing the ads for us. I'd be more than happy to cough up, I read the backroom every day and recommend people who are looking for a new car to your site.
Err, just missed your reply to John's post. www.2checkout.com and PayPal will automagically bill someone's credit card on a monthly basis and send you a cheque every month. It's American, but the cheques work fine here. You do pay a commision charge though.

I know what you mean, though, getting advertisers to cough up is a nightmare.
Explorer still crashing on this website - harry m
ref the crashing i have just remembered i had a problem a few weeks ago got a box saying there was a problem and should send an error message to microsoft then it would discon from the site,this only happened on this site.mentioned to my friend who came to see me last week and also mentioned it said it was something to do with macromedia flash he went on ther site and i think he downloaded the latest drivers have had no more problems,hope this might be of use to someone.
Explorer still crashing on this website - Doc
If you want a bit of light relief, try this link for a serious case of site crashing!

Don't be alarmed-it's only pretend.

www.absurd.org/((((((/coremelt/index.html

Explorer still crashing on this website - Phil G
HJ - You'd have to give us an idea of the actual traffic of the site megabytes/day or gigabytes/month (whoever administers the site should know this) and then I could give you an idea of the price for hosting the forum on a US based server.
My $149 per month gets me:

2GHz Celeron
1GB RAM
160GB hard disk space
1300GB (1.3TB) monthly transfer

I'm getting on average 250,000 hits per pay and use 1 tenth of that bandwidth. It's useful to know that the extra ooomph is there though, we got slashdotted yesterday.

Explorer still crashing on this website - Dalglish
phil g: i think you may need to contact stephen khoo at khoosys to get these details and he may give them to you if the site investors agree to divulge that commercial info to you.

as i undertand the subtext of hj's messaages so far, his main cost is the legacy of debt from over 3 years of lossmaking ad-free operations.

the implied message from hj (and one of the mod's post) is that the current revenue just pays for current costs.
kB F per month - Phil G
Ok HJ, that's 64Gb a month. If you check out www.servermatrix.com all the servers come with 1200Gb a month! One of the SuperServer 2.8s would be fine for the BR for $199 setup and $109/month. I have my server with them and I have had excellent support and uptime.