Rover 214Si Coolant - Peter
K reg 107K miles. I am going to change the coolant soon. I am led to believe that these engines are rather sensitive to coolant or lack of it.

The Haynes manual graphically describes how to replace the coolant but my car does not have a bottom drain plug on the radiator nor does it have the vertical filling point on the top hose.

I assume to drain the engine all I need do is remove the bottom hose and let it run free, I am more concerned about correctly refilling and avoiding airlocks. Should I buy the special to type top hose or is there another hose I can free to fill the engine and also bleed the air out.

What is the normal servicing periodicity for this car, oil will be changed at 6K and cam belt mileage/time?

TIA

Peter
Rover 214Si Coolant - Civic8
They are if anti freeze not changed for a long time.anti corrosion properties wear off with time.Thing to watch out for is the small expansion pipe from top left of rad to expansion tank it also has a T on it connecting to the inlet manifold make sure these pipes are clear.
I would suggest a good flush through of both engine and rad just to clear any carp that has built up(normaly on xpansion pipe exit of rad)
removing bottom hose should do the trick.when refilling and by the way on draining put heater control to hot.
should do oil and filter on this car.I think 30k for safety with cam belt.if you fill coolant up slowly you should get away without an air lock although it is rare to.but you may be lucky:)
Rover 214Si Coolant - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Try and get the front right wheel a few inches in the air while filling to persuade the air up to the expansion bottle. The little pipe coming out of the head by the inlet manifold going to the expansion tank will probably need clearing with a piece of wire until the coolant runs clear from it but dont ram anything down it as it has a ball bearing acting as a jiggle at the bottom end.
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!