fiesta 84 a reg popular 1.1 - pienmash
just inherited this old motor 53 k on the clock and the head gasket has gone,is this easy to do ?
i know this sounds silly ,what petrol should i use init
fiesta 84 a reg popular 1.1 - Civic8
what makes you think H/gasket gone.if you see mayo in the breather pipes on these it is common and good clean out is required.if it has gone they arent difficult being OHV but tappets will need re`adjusting once put back together.petrol unless head has been modified will be LRP.lead free I think can be used but ign timing needs retarding 2 degrees.and LRP used as fill up once in three.ie 2 fill ups with unleaded 1 LRP.I may be wrong on last bit.but expect others to correct.?
fiesta 84 a reg popular 1.1 - Ford Dagenham
Hi

If the headgasket has gone the car wont move

The car just needs to be driven the mayo is there from lack of use.

Give it a treat get its oil changed and maybe a set of spark plugs.

Look after it and it will look after you
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
fiesta 84 a reg popular 1.1 - MarkSmith
Hi,

I've certainly known of (lots of) cars which will move with a blown head gasket! :-)

Cheers,
Mark
fiesta 84 a reg popular 1.1 - Claude
When I had one of these cars I understood that it could not run on straight unleaded so I used Miller additive with unleaded which was cheaer than using LRP.
fiesta 84 a reg popular 1.1 - Drew20
cylinder head is quite an easy job on the 1100, I did it on my 112k fiesta.
seperate the carb from fuel, electrics and throttle, choke cables etc. disconnect the exhaust (can be tough so much wd40 required).
unbolt cylinder head and unless it comes off in your hands try putting the engine in gear and rocking the car back and forth abit and the compression should pop the seal.
lift off with manifolds attached and keep the pushrods in place as they need to go back in the same hole

and I think thats it

what makes you think the h-gaskets gone? mayo might just mean that its only done short cold journeys in the past. try changing the oil and giving a good blast down the m-way and see if any mayo turns up then

whats the bodaywork like? its rust that kills olf fiestas
fiesta 84 a reg popular 1.1 - Ford Dagenham
Hi

It just needs a good blast trust me

--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
fiesta 84 a reg popular 1.1 - Kingpin
I owned four of these, various 950cc and 1.1 models. I think yours is an earlier model that cannot use unleaded due to the valve seat design. In 1986 from about C/D reg the engines became unleaded compatible, this happended when the points ignition changed over to transistorised electronic.
If you think the head gasket has gone it may just be gunged up top end, I bet if you undo the 10mm bolts and take off the rocker cover it is full of black sludge underneath. These engines need regular oil changes or else they die of black gunge and residue in the top of the engine. They are very easy to work on though, a cylinder head removal job is quite easy.
If you do decide to strip it down then why not visit a breakers yard and get a cylinder head from a 1986 D reg onwards that will have hardened valve seats? Take out the valves, grind them back in and clean the head up, put it all back together and you should be fine. The tappets are those self locking 11mm types which are done cold, with the engine being 1243 firing order there is a set sequence of adjusting them as described in the Haynes book. Also watch out for the small taper seat spark plugs welding themselves into the head through rusting - they have fine vulnerable threads. Once all are free I recommend using coppergrease on the threads and not overtightening, only about 13lbs on a torque wrench I think it was.
You may have the famous Ford Variable Venturi carburettor, a strange device with a sliding metal flap on the top of the air intake. It can play up but best left alone, usually such things as spark plugs, valve clearances and sludge cause problems rather than idle mixture.
Good luck - there are not many left these days. Rust is a problem, especially in the sills. Check all along and particularly in front of the rear wheels - where the suspension trailing arm attaches to the body in front of the back wheel on each side you can put your hand up and feel a flat triangle of metal that forms the back end of the sill. If this crumbles with rust you have a problem. Boot floors can also let in water, check under the boards in the boot below the spare wheel. I could go on for ages but won't...
fiesta 84 a reg popular 1.1 - Altea Ego
Oh yes, Nicolle had a b reg 950 pop plus. That needed leaded petrol. This is also the beast that I snapped off a spark plug in, (so heed the advice about copper grease). It died of tin worm around the rear trailing arm mounting. Acantus is dead on the money.
done 100 miles on motorway today at 70 mph,chucks stuff out(exhaust) 65mph,also pick up is so slow,i do hope my 405td can be sorted quicktime,if i get the nod from the monster in law(gona give her the car after ive finished with it),ill buy new leads,plugs,oil change,and a full ford service,theres quite abit of rust due to being in herne bay since new.....53k on the clock....like new interior and engine bay... such a shame about the bodywork.....ive fell in love with it already,forgot fiesta were fun.......fink ill get a xr2 to muck around with and do the shopping in.......many thanks people...how come you cant get ford new parts over the net?????weird.
thanks for the tips,id copper grease the mrs if she let me lol,goodstuff isnt it been using it for years. nice motor tho,really enjoyable to drive,my old fiesta sport was top matks for driveabilty(good old cvh)as well,shame they cant take roundabouts well.
p.s. put unleaded init,works well,no power in the old girl,but i think that because i normally drive turbo diesals for last few years
fiesta 84 a reg popular 1.1 - Civic8
As I recall from a certain date parts would be unavailable after 7 years may be wrong?.Ps 1.1 will be slow after pug.What do you expect.?