I didn't deserve this, did I? - clariman
I always get people blocking my driveway and it is getting annoying really.

Anyway, a visitor next door parked over my driveway again today. No need for it as there was plenty of room in the road.

After 5 minutes I knocked and, very politely, asked them to move as I was going out shopping.

The visitors said OK as they were leaving anyway.

I went back indoors to get my coat and wallet.

Couldn't find my wallet, so wasted a bit of time finding it. Which I did after about 5, maybe 10, minutes.

Then there was a knock on the door. It was next door effing and blinding that I asked their visitor to move when I wasn't going out straight away. Couldn't get a word in edgeways. His wife joins in the abuse.

Anyway, he gets more abusive and threatens to damage our (new)block paving.

My wife blames me for going next door and asking them to move. We have been in this house 7 years, these people moved next door last year.

I really fear for our safety and wife is saying I brought it on us. We are expecting a baby too.

What would you do about this?

I was very polite and reasonable, certainly did not deserve this.
I didn't deserve this, did I? - Ivor E Tower
Unfortunately, from experience, I would say that moving house is the only solution. Some people are just so unreasonable and they cannot see things from anyone else's point of view. Maybe worth having a word with the local police (if there are any) and explaining what has happened, telling them that you don't want anything done now, but what should you do next time - I mean, suppose your wife went into labour and you could not get your car out to go to the hospital?
I didn't deserve this, did I? - Civic8
I may be wrong in saying this.But as far as I`m aware it isn`t illegal parking over a drive if the drive is not in use at the time.it is if you wish to drive off the driveway or on.asking them to move the motor shouldnt be a prob.I think most would agree.I dont know the full ins and outs but gather if you have probs refer to police.I would like to hear anyones opinion on this as I know someone else in the same boat.?
I may be wrong in saying this.But as far as I`m
aware it isn`t illegal parking over a drive if the drive
is not in use at the time.it is if you wish
to drive off the driveway or on.asking them to move the
motor shouldnt be a prob.I think most would agree.I dont know
the full ins and outs but gather if you have probs
refer to police.I would like to hear anyones opinion on this
as I know someone else in the same boat.?

That's the point - my car on drive and me wanting to go shopping.

And I end up getting threats of criminal damage and my wife says my own fault. Very supportive. Not.

Should I speak to policeman opposite that I am on reasonably friendly terms with. If I did, my wife would probably blow her top.
I didn't deserve this, did I? - spinner
Speak to the policeman opposite for some informal advice - perhaps he could have a quiet word. But avoid conflict if at all possible with your neighbours - sounds like they're a bit unfriendly.
I wouldn't expect them to be reasonable based on what you've pointed out so far. Also check on you local council rules with respect to parking.
I didn\'t deserve this, did I? - VTiredeyes
wot a nightmare.
my m8 has the same problem, well he did, until he told me what was happening. i had a company mondy then. i used to park outside his house, and bumped (very gently) into his vectra. did this a few times, and he got the message.
have you any friends with a company car who wouldnt mind touching bumpers with whoever parks outside your house?
or maybe just get some friendly large gentlemen to pay him a visit. he sounds like a complete pink fluffy dice. i live with a shared driveway up 2 our garages in back garden, we sometimes park inbetween houses, and my next door neighbours do the same. it just gives us a chance to have a chinwag, when we want to move or get mower out to front of house. i guess your only option is to go around and have a chat with them and clear the air. or failing that, get sum heavies in!
I would be very carefull how you approach this.Do have a word with policeman opposite.as he is more able to advise than anyone else.But would also suggest if your neighbour is offhanded about it.have a word with them.Just say to them all you wanted to do was go shopping.If threats persist just carry on reporting to police.easy to say I know had a similar prob
I didn't deserve this, did I? - Big John
Be careful what you put on record (ie reporting to Police) as if you decide to move you will have to declare the neigbour problems during the house selling process!!
As a matter of interest is the house nextdoor private or rented?
As a matter of interest is the house nextdoor private or
rented?

Unfortunately both private.
>> As a matter of interest is the house nextdoor private
or
>> rented?
>>
Unfortunately both private.

ie ours and theirs.

Semi detached, adjacent driveways, but their semi not stuck to our semi. IYSWIM.
That means shared driveway.think you will find their rights as yours.would speak to someone that knows.but don`t stirr it up with neighbours be calm and speak to them.unless reasonable go to solicitor whom looked into selling it to you in the first place.answers will lie there.could be wrong but first place I would go
I didn't deserve this, did I? - Halmer
If it happens frequently because of the positioning of your drive/house you will have to:-

1. Move house or
2. Learn to live with it

Regardless of advice regarding the police, council etc etc it wont improve unless your local circumstances charge.

I know from experience because I lived in my last home for ten years and continually had to put up with this.

I knew that it was time to move when I lost my temper one evening and caved someones rear light in with my foot. I've also beem threatened with violence for asking a thug to move his car so that I could exit my drive. It isn't worth the hassle.
I didn't deserve this, did I? - teabelly
Those new ASBOs and ABC (acceptable behaviour contracts) could also be used I suppose.

I don't see why decent people have to put up with selfish meat heads that threaten violence, they want some manners walloping into them with a heavy blunt instrument. People just can't go around beating each other up over parking spaces :-)
teabelly
That means shared driveway.think you will find their rights as yours.would
speak to someone that knows.but don`t stirr it up with neighbours
be calm and speak to them.unless reasonable go to solicitor whom
looked into selling it to you in the first place.answers will
lie there.could be wrong but first place I would go

www.highwaycode.gov.uk/22.shtml

And I quote:-

217 DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example, do not stop
near a school entrance
........ etc
in front of an entrance to a property
on a bend.

The last two items cover my property.
I didn't deserve this, did I? - teabelly
You could try asking the council for some white lines to be painted that discourage people from leaving their vehicles in such a place that they are blocking you in? The council refused me mine to begin with but for some strange reason a line appeared a few weeks later, along with a couple more for next door neighbours!

Try talking to them again and say you understand him being angry as he must not have realised that you are the type of person that would only ask someone to move if they genuinely needed to go out. Some banal comment about how neighbours should get along might also be worth a punt.

teabelly
I didn't deserve this, did I? - kennybase
I know how annoying this is - experienced it before myself. Best thing I can recommend - go round and have a chat - just to explain and to see their reaction this time. You may have just caught them on a bad day - not your problem but sometimes that's the way it is.

If it still seems to be a problem, then use the bottle under their tyres!!! :-p
I didn't deserve this, did I? - DavidHM
Whatever you think about the situation (and your neighbour seems to me to have overreacted) you have nothing to gain by dwelling on the issue and thinking of all the nasty ASBOs and boundary disputes you can unleash.

Whatever they cost him, he'll get back in a feeling of moral superiority, and you'll pay through stress, fear and anger.
I didn't deserve this, did I? - Mark (RLBS)
Not an easy situation, and I have sympathy.

However, not really motoring related beyond the fact that it was caused by a car blocking a drive.

I'll let it run for now, but try and keep a motoring focus.

I didn't deserve this, did I? - Andrew-T
A terrible nightmare situation, and it sounds like some pondlife have arrived next door. But the hassle of moving to escape it is too much like admitting defeat.

But I suppose the root problem may be that, as in so many other places, people own more cars than space to put them on. Better move somewhere with more space!
I didn't deserve this, did I? - smokie
I think regular anger management courses for all would be far more helpful than compulsory retests, as advocated in another thread.

Mind you, I have no idea whether these courses work!
I didn't deserve this, did I? - Miller
How would he react if you were blocking his drive? Sounds like he would be around banging on your door in no time!

Nasty people like this cannot be reasoned IMHO. Just let it lie for now.
I didn't deserve this, did I? - BazzaBear {P}
I think HJ has got it spot on. The man was totally unreasonable, and obviously you're never going to be best friends with him, but you don't want to be living under the shadow of what he might do, so go round with a cheery smile on your face, have a chat, explain that your leaving the house got delayed and that you don't see the point of animosoty between neighbours so you wanted to clear the air.
I didn't deserve this, did I? - Nsar
The big smile approach is the winner - your mouth is saying "sorry mate" but the subtitles are saying "I won't be intimidated by you"
I didn't deserve this, did I? - trancer
I am afraid I just don't understand this. Neighbour's friend blocks your drive, you ask him to move his car, you get threatened and he gets rewarded for his boorish behaviour with a bottle of his choice and a cheery apology from you. No wonder thats his chosen approach.

Next time park your car on the street in front of your drive so no-one can block you in. I assume there are no laws against parking on the street if you have a drive available to you.
I didn't deserve this, did I? - Andrew-T
I don't think laws come into this. It's just a question of being reasonable and courteous rather than selfish and offensive. Difficulty is that the latter are not often converted to the former, especially if that is how they begin a relationship.
I didn't deserve this, did I? - hxj

Perverse really, I had an almost identical thing happen to me!

Friends who hadn't see us since we moved into the area popped around to see us. 30 seconds later the pompous bloke next door charged round and demanded that they moved their car as he was going out immediately. Strange bloke really his friends always block us in, but I never mention it, maybe I should?

Anyway, my friends kindly moved their car but guess what half an hour later as they left my neighbours car was still there.

So I went and knocked on his door and asked if there was a problem as I distinct remembered him saying he had to go out immediately. Poor bloke needs anger managemnt courses, apparently he has lived here seven years and has clearly learnt to rant in that period. My wife is a bit concerned as she feels cut off by all the new neighbours, she feels that she is considered to be not good enough to live in the area, and was hoping that the woman next door would be a good friend.

Maybe we need to talk quietly to the nice policeman across the road.

I think that we should also talk to our solicitor as I am sure that the arrogant bloke next door would have caused problems for the previous owner, but they didn't mention it on the disclosure forms wfrom our solicitor.

Any one have any advice?
I didn't deserve this, did I? - NowWheels

[snip]
Any one have any advice?

I dunno whether you are clariman's neighbour or if this is just tongue-in-cheek, but I can offer two suggestions:

* follow HJ's advice of sitting down together with a bottle of something nice

or

* Stay clear and leave it to the women to talk to each other and sort it out. That's how I have resolved problems with my neighbours -- avoid the bloke, talk to the woman of the house
I didn't deserve this, did I? - hxj

It was meant t-i-c.

Just pointing out how slightly different views can lead to a completely different stance.

Friends have had rows with every single one of their neighbours, none have been their fault!

A really unpleasant and unnecessary position to get yourself into.
Friends who hadn't see us since we moved into the area
popped around to see us. 30 seconds later the pompous
bloke next door charged round and demanded that they moved their
car as he was going out immediately. Strange bloke really
his friends always block us in, but I never mention it,
maybe I should?

TEN MINUTES
Anyway, my friends kindly moved their car but guess what half
an hour later as they left my neighbours car was still
there.

FIVE MINUTES
So I went and knocked on his door and asked if
there was a problem as I distinct remembered him saying he
had to go out immediately. Poor bloke needs anger managemnt
courses, apparently he has lived here seven years and has clearly
learnt to rant in that period. My wife is a bit
concerned as she feels cut off by all the new neighbours,
she feels that she is considered to be not good enough
to live in the area, and was hoping that the woman
next door would be a good friend.

YOU WERE THE RANTER, I WAS POLITE UNTIL YOU STARTED TO GET ABUSIVE
Maybe we need to talk quietly to the nice policeman across
the road.

I HAVE DONE. HE SAID WAIT UNTIL THEY DO THE CRIMINAL DAMAGE BEFORE REPORTING TO THEM.
I think that we should also talk to our solicitor as
I am sure that the arrogant bloke next door would have
caused problems for the previous owner, but they didn't mention it
on the disclosure forms wfrom our solicitor.

THE NEIGHBOURS THAT LEFT WERE FINE. A BIT ODD / FORGETFUL, BUT HARMLESS.
Any one have any advice?

WHY DON'T YOUY MOVE? YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE WITH THAT ATTITUDE.

c.
This has become extraordinary. Bizarre in the extreme. And should be
preserved for posterity. But Mark please lock the thread as soon
as you can. (Assuming I haven't been able to.)
HJ

As the original poster, I quite agree!
I didn't deserve this, did I? - Dynamic Dave
But Mark please lock the thread as soon as you can.

Mark's busy warming up his Land Bruiser to go around Clariman's house to tow away any further offending vehicles. Once he's finished having a smoke, he'll be on his way. In his absence, I have locked the thread.

DD.