96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - dodo
My mums ancient - but utterly reliable Fiesta Classic Quartz has developed a fault whereby the key unlocks the door it wont turn the ignition on. Gradually it has got worse so the steering wheel has to be turned to allow the key to turn but now it wont do anything! Any ideas?? Thanks
96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - mfarrow
Hi

Do you mean you have to turn the wheel when the steering column lock has been engaged? If so this could be what's causing the problem, ie it's locking every time the ignition is taken out. AFAIK these can be replaced but it requires drilling out the old one.

Someone who isn't guessing will be around shortly, I'm sure :-)
96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - Dynamic Dave

Try giving the ignition lock a squirt of WD-40, and also apply some to the key and work in / out a few times.

96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The barrel is worn out. You have got one shot at fixing it as you have left it so late. Take off the column surrounds and with patience work away at the key gently trying to get the key to turn to position 1 (accessory). If you can, look around the outside of the ignition for a little metal button about 2mm diameter and with a little screwdriver press it in whilst pulling outwards on the key which should then pull the barrel out. Take the keys to Ford and ask them to build you a new ignition barrel to fit the key. Refitting it is the reverse.
If you cannot get it to turn you will effectively have to break up the barrel in situ with a screwdriver and just work at it until you have removed enough of it to depress the button and pull out the barrel. Once it is out turn the switch at the bottom of the barrel hole to position 1 with the screwdriver before sliding in the new switch.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - Chuffer Dandridge
The same happened on our Montego, either the key or the lock is worn out, and sods law says its more likely to be the lock. As the key is the cheaper option its probably worth having a new key cut to see if it works. On the Montego we ended up having garage fit a new lock. We then had separate keys for the doors and the ignition, which wasn't really a problem.
96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - smokie
Tried the spare key?
96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - Drivethru
dodo, this happened to me a couple of years ago on my '95 Fiesta. The barrel has collapsed, first, the spare key should work if it's new(ish) as it will fit the barrel better, however, as I found out this won't last for long. I got well stuck in a supermarket car park and called the RAC out, he took the steering column cover off and got me away, I had to leave the key in the 1 position so I could start the car until the garage made up a new barrel (as the key was coded), this cost £45.
96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - Waino
Apparently it's a common problem - the same happened on my wife's '95 Classic Quartz. WD40 etc only helped for a short while and in the end we had to have the barrel replaced. This cost about £70 with labour and we didn't have to have a separate key. As the lock gets stiffer, it's tempting to put off doing something about it - then you get stranded!
96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - dodo
Well, not easy but got all fixed. Many thanks for all your help and advice which led to replacement barrel being fitted. Biggest surprise was that the key had a transponder in it.
96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - Danielsmith

Yeah!!!you have to visit BOLINGBROOK LOCKSMITH,they are best option for 96 fiesta keys replacements.They are affordable and are potential in their in their work.

96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - elekie&a/c doctor

Wow,a reply to a post that is 12 years old!! is this a record?Are there any 96 Fiestas left?

96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - galileo

Wow,a reply to a post that is 12 years old!! is this a record?Are there any 96 Fiestas left?

Not everyone is as good at reading dates as your good self, doc!

96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - FP

"They are affordable and are potential in their in their work."

Why is it that spammers are frequently borderline-illiterate?

Discuss.

On second thoughts, don't bother.

96 Fiesta Key wont turn in ignition! - focussed

"They are affordable and are potential in their in their work."

Why is it that spammers are frequently borderline-illiterate?

Discuss.

On second thoughts, don't bother.

I had to have a little chuckle about the aforementioned locksmith.

They are a company in Illinois USA!