Mondeo TDCi ECU updates / warming up - cheddar
There have been a number of posts on this forum relating to Mondeo TDCi 130 ECU issues and also slow warming up.
My May 02 Ghia X (72k) did not previously suffer from any of these issues however recently I experinced a sudden loss of power and the glowplug light started to flash. The car was still drivable so I took it to the Ford dealer who re programmed the ECU and updated the software, the technicians comment was that it will probably be have a smoother responce and the refinement will improve.
However the opposite is true, while it still performs well it now exhibits a typical diesel rattle at light throttle openings, particularly when cold, it uses more fuel to the tune of 3-4 mpg and takes a lot longer to warm up.
I had come to the view that it was approx end 2002 to end 2003 models that were worst effected by the ECU issues, and that earlier and later cars were OK. I wonder if I should ask the dealer to reinstall the earlier ECU software?

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Regards.
Mondeo TDCi ECU updates / warming up - ARC42

My Mondeo is an 04 130 bhp, when the warming up problem first began I did the normal thing and changed the thermostat - no different but eventually found in some blog that there is a second thermostat fitted to the oil cooler. Cost about £20 from Ford, plus fitting, job done heater now works super.