Mondeo 1.8TD oil pressure problem - frustratedmondeo
My parents have a 1997 (R reg) 1.8TD Mondeo, 60,000 miles which is serviced regularly. After its service last year, they noticed that the oil pressure light came on (flickering) when the car was sitting in traffic (especially when towing a small caravan). They took it back to the garage who added some sort of viscosity improver to the oil (???) and all was fine afterwards. They have just got the car back from this years service (same garage) and it is doing the same thing (but more regularly). The garage have changed the oil pressure switch (no difference) and are having the car back on Monday to drop the sump & clean out the gauze in the sump (presumably around the oil pick up).

The car doesn't burn any oil and this didn't start happening until the car was serviced in 2003. Anyone got any ideas (I am not familiar with this engine). I wondered whether the garage had perhaps forgotten to refil the car with oil first time round and started the engine before they realised (maybe damaging the oil pump?). My parents don't want to be throwing money at it replacing components on the off chance it might be that which is at fault. Personnally I would go straight and replace the oil pump. Is it a big (ie. engine out) job on the 1.8 TD Mondeo??

Thanks.
Mondeo 1.8TD oil pressure problem - bikemade3
This is a known problem for which Ford issued a technical bulletin.Rectification action involves replacing the oil pump and using a thinner lower viscosity oil.Pump change is not an engine out job, yet involves afair deal of work as you have to drop the belts( replace at the same time )If the oil light is coming on when the engine is hot aand sat at idle (800-900 rpm) and extinguishes when revved deffinately the pump.