Citroen Xantia servicing - kevthedog
As per my previous topic. I serviced my car about 2 months ago (oil filter,plugs etc.) and tried to get a manual to assist, but could not. Therefore, I had a problem 2 days ago where the rear suspension would not rise. Taken to a local dealer who had to replace the rear susp control valve at a cost of £185 !!!. Apparently they go quite regularly as he had the item in stock, and said I could have avoided the problem if I had greased the valve during my service. Does anbody know if there are any other items that need checking during service on the Xantia, other than the obvious ie. oil, coolant etc.
Citroen Xantia servicing - RichardW
Kev,

Only extras are greasing those height correctors, and checking the LHM level. LHM should be renewed at 36k intervals, but this is often neglected. Best to exercise the suspension ever couple of weeks by going from normal - max - low - normal a couple of times. This helps to stop the correctors seizing up. Important to change the coolant regularly and carefully bleed the air out, as Xantias seem to like blowing heater matrices (dash out job to replace...). If you don't carry much weight, the rear brakes don't do much work and can get lazy so keep an eye on them - also early cars suffer from corrosion between the trailing arm and rear calipers which causes the caliper to twist - althought I understand this may have been resolved on the later cars.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Citroen Xantia servicing - CG
Kev, I don't know which part of the country you are in but down here in Sussex we have an excellent 'Citroen-only' outfit run by 2 enterprising guys who know exactly what they are doing and won't take you for a ride. They have carried out some of the more awkward, non-routine jobs on my elderly BX 19 Diesel for some years now and the cost has been appreciably lower than the usual franchise operation - and, more importantly, I can trust them. Can we post recommendations on this site??

CG
Citroen Xantia servicing - Dynamic Dave
Can we post recommendations on this site??

By all means. Also email them to HJ for inclusion in the "good Garages" guide.

Citroen Xantia servicing - CG
OK, the firm is:

K&M Citroen
Unit 4, 5 Sybron Way
Millbrook Industrial Estate,
Jarvis Brook
Crowborough
East Sussex TN6 3DZ

01892 653131

I have been using them for about 8-9 years, and have always found their work thorough and sensibly priced - and you can trust them which, for me, is the most important part. I think they probably know all there is to know about Citroens. As an example of their customer service - a small hose on my elderly BX 19 Diesel started weeping a couple of weeks back. Went in for a replacement, together with two new Jubilee clips. Handed me the items, told me to try the hose and if it fitted OK to settle up afterwards. Went back the day after fitting, but payment was refused - suggested I should remind them to add it to the bill when I next have to visit them. Can't say fairer than that!!

I have no connection with them, apart from being a very satisfied customer of course.

CG