Winter tyres - Peter Morrison
Does anyone have any recommendations for winter (snow) tyres. It can get pretty bad up here in the frozen north (Aberdeenshire).
Re: Winter tyres - Alastair
Try a site called tyres-online.co.uk. A great source of info, tests etc. on all things rubber!
Re: Winter tyres - David W
Peter,

If you need winter tyres don't you need a FWD. Extra ground clearance, large rolling radius and all wheel drive is a huge part of the equation.

David
Re: Winter tyres - Kev
Surely that should be 4WD? Have you thought about getting something like a Subaru, or Audi or likewise?
Kev
Re: Winter tyres - David W
Kev,

Yes I did mean 4WD. Been really busy of late and posting between other tasks. Accuracy has suffered.

Best 2WD car I've ever driven in snow was a Citroen GS. Very narrow tyres and the ability to lift it out of deep snow with the suspension. In the worse snow we've experienced here (20+yrs ago?) I was driving it into areas with dozens of stuck cars where roads had just become impassable, trying and failing to help them, doing a three point turn and driving away...to much amazement.

Worse ever was a Triumph 2000 Mk.I. On some really polished town roads it wouldn't start off on the flat, someone had to get out and push it all the time.

Best 4WD was an old Series IIA Land Rover. Sensible width M&S tyres (ie. not too wide) and much more light/nimble than large modern 4WDs.

Did fit winter M&S tyres to a FWD Citroen C15 van once. They really helped on slippery grass or mud. In snow the thing was too low to the ground and traction was lost as it surfed up on the snow underneath.

David
Re: Winter tyres - Dan J
I never knew Marks & Spencers made tyres...
M&S Winter tyres - David W
I'm sure if they did they would be constructed to the highest standards, last for years, a 1960s design, available in blue/grey/white and no-one would buy them.

;-)

David