cars up north. - ladas are cool
i think everyone should know how cheap cars are up north, in the paper you can buy a 1989 renault 5, with FSH, 54000 miles, tax and test, all for £200. what about the 1986 bmw 525i, that went at the local auction, FSH, 85000 miles, tax and test, it went for only £80. a 55000 mile pug 205, from 1987, with FSH, went for £70.
Re: cars up north. - Pete
Tell us something we don't know!
Re: cars up north. - Alwyn
Someone suggested a business oppportunity would be to buy northern cars and sell them in the south.
Re: cars up north. - Matt Kelly
I know someone who during the miners' strike of the 1980s would drive up to a mining town on Friday night with about 3 mates in one car, buy 3 cars at the miners' social club 'cos they needed the money, drive back down and flog them the following week trousering a tidy profit.
Entrepreneurs or exploitative scum ? You decide.
Re: cars up north. - Dan J
You can buy cars like an 89 Renault 5 down South for that money+thousands of Fords. Different climate though - there are many similarly priced cars like that in the South West of the country. I don't personally think cars are significantly dearer down South but when you live in or around London and you need to be earning enough to part with £300k for a 3 bedroomed house, you're not going to be driving round in a 200 quid banger. Rose tinted glasses view perhaps - Still, plenty of them around and the local cheap motor rags they give out free in supermarkets had several dealers and hundreds of cars for little money in South West London.

As I said on another thread, I know of several dealers in the Stoke (and up in the Lake District now I think about it) area who sell Mondeos, Volvo S40s, Vectras, Pug 406s etc for very cheap prices, but that is compared to franchise dealers anywhere in the country. The cars are in generally poor condition and have obviously had a few hard years early on in life but there is a market for them there that perhaps doesn't exist as much down South. I have it on good authority that as opposed to buying cars up North and taking them down South, many franchise garages etc actually do exactly the opposite (perhaps HJ would care to comment?) as some of the harder worn 120k milers are difficult to shift but people are prepared to buy them up North.
Re: cars up north. - Tony
I live in the south and i am constantly amazed at the number and sometimes young age of cars that are dumped at the roadside.Not to many years ago many of these vehicles would have been quite saleable,not anymore,not enough people want to drive bangers,and finance is much easier to get for people that,perhaps would have had to drive bangers previously.
Re: cars up north. - Andrew Barnes
Why are people "up north" more likely to buy high mileage cars than those "down south", are you saying we are poorer?

Andrew
It is a fact of life in this country that there is a North/South divide. I live up North myself and certainly was not intending to offend anybody by what I said - But if I drive through Stoke/areas of Manchester/Liverpool I see many more car sales places that are selling vaguely recent cars for very cheap money with high mileages/wear, also places that are selling cars for 500 pounds or so. I can only recall one dealer I ever saw in all of Surrey selling cars under a grand. It is very easy to find car sales places (if you pick up Auto Exchange in Stoke-on-Trent and pick up one for SW London/Surrey you'll see very different garages advertising very different cars). It is very dependant upon the actual area.

I was not offering opinion, just pointing out observations. Re the comment about higher mileage cars - the Vauxhall garage which used to service my car in London said they always sold their very high mileage direct to several garages in the North East as they could never sell them in London.
Re: cars up north. - Jon
There is a north south divide, and it isn't much to do with money.

You can visit as many "rich" places in the north as the south. Equally there are areas of deprivation in both. Take Glasgow for example. The gorbals and govan are not exactly the most desirable places, but a few miles away you have bearsden, milngavie and others which are among the richest suburbs of the country. Equally in Manchester, Longsight and moss side are areas of deprivation (although there is an excess of BMW and Mercedes in these areas, I wonder why?), and 10 miles away you have wilmslow and alderley edge, hardly a poverty stricken area.

I would argue that car sales are representative of the local area, not the region.

Jon
Agree completely - should have elaborated more on 'It is very dependant upon the actual area'
Re: cars up north. - Alwyn
Dan,

You live in Stoke?

What happened to the BRS car auction at Vernon Road, by the roundabout? I used to buy all my cars there (ex-fleet ) but last time I tried to call they had disappeared.

Cheers
Alwyn,

I live about 20 miles North of Stoke. I know BRS auctions, I went there a couple of times a few years back for the experience, they seemed to just disappear one day and I don't remember reading any news articles related to it. I think the company itself is still at Vernon Road but they do something like employment services(?!) now.

Is this place of any interest?

North Staffs Car Auctions - Sunderland Rd, Longton. Tel (01782) 332719

Cheers
Dan
Re: cars up north. - Dwight Van-Driver
Ard kars divvent gan very far so in N'castle they live in them as whoses.
Then they gan hoot and kick the a bawl against the waharl.
Re: cars up north. - Tomo
I like an occasional Newcastle brown ale, though I suspect the best is on draught, not in a bottle. But is it any good going to Newcastle for one if you
don't speak the language?
Re: cars up north. - ladas are cool
what are you talking about dwight, i live in north shields, tyne and wear, but i have never heard anybody talking like you???. where about do you live as i dont think you live up here.
Re: cars up north. - ChrisR
1. Dog only comes in bottles, not on draught.

2. North/South divide: having lived in many places around the country I can confirm that there are poor areas in the South. But, the overall level of wealth is higher. For example, the unemployment rate for Liverpool has been over 10% since the early 1980s. That's for Merseyside as a whole, not just the poor bits. In London (as a whole, not just the wealthy bits) it's now around 3%. I'd rather be unemployed in the South, because it's easier to find a job (of some kind) near where you live. If you live in Bootle, Merseyside, you're stuffed if you don't want to move.

3. As for cars: they last longer in the South, because it's warmer and (generally) drier. Booze cruise springs are a problem, though ;-)

Chris
Re: cars up north. - John Kenyon
ChrisR wrote:
>
> 1. Dog only comes in bottles, not on draught.
>

You can get it on draught - if you go abroad.

Last time I spotted it, I was in Genoa.