Which new Primera? - peterb
My dad has been offered a good deal to upgrade his two year old Primera to a brand new one.

His current car is the 2.0 petrol, but he now has a choice between the 1.8 petrol and 2.2 diesel.

The published figures and HJ's roadtest imply the diesel is the one to pick, and I suspect it might suit his low revs driving style. However Nissan diesels were, pre-Renault, rather naff.

Any views gratefully received.

Thanks

Peter
Which new Primera? - Cardew
There was a thread on exactly this last month by 'dodo'. For some reason I can't copy the link - do a search. Most liked the diesel.
Which new Primera? - DavidHM
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20990

I can. I guess the thread shows that, if this is the deal that's being offered, there's at least another £1k of discount in that, either from list price of the car or on the trade in value.
Which new Primera? - Altea Ego
I suspect (can anyone confirm) that the 2.2 oil burner is the renault 2.2 150hp dci . If so its a nice engine.
Which new Primera? - Wales Forester
It is RF but downrated to 136ps.

PP
Make that 138ps, it was originally in a 126ps incarnation.

PP
Why I continue to trust what dealership staff tell me I don't know.
I asked the exact same question at a Nissan dealer, is it the same engine as the Renault, and the sales manager replied that it was the same unit just downrated.

What a bunch of liars.

PP
Which new Primera? - NowWheels
Would I be right in thinking that the diesel-engined car would retain its value much better than the petrol-engined one?
Which new Primera? - Aprilia
Why I continue to trust what dealership staff tell me I
don't know.
I asked the exact same question at a Nissan dealer, is
it the same engine as the Renault, and the sales manager
replied that it was the same unit just downrated.
What a bunch of liars.
PP

Probably not lying - just ignorant. A lot of dealership staff are technically illiterate, especially the younger ones.
Which new Primera? - Greg R
I went to a citroen dealership and I asked for an honest answer to this question. 'Do you know of any failures on the C5, and will it be as reliable as a Toyota car'. Answer. 'The C5 never goes wrong and are more reliable than Toyota's. Toyota's are actually very unreilable cars compared to Citroens.'

Very misleading answer. The member of staff dealing with me seemed to think that the BMW Mini petrol cars use BMW engines. When I said they don't and use Chrysler engines, he disbelieved me. Quite arrogant.

Why should I be dealt with salemen who lacks any knowledge? Why are they there in the first place? Training should be a priority. Even the honda garage selling cars and bikes did not know the service intervals on his bikes?
Which new Primera? - Aprilia
They are there to sell cars, not be experts in automotive technology. If they were that bright they wouldn't be car salesmen.
You wouldn't go into PC World and expect the salespeople to know anything about computers now would you? LOL!
Which new Primera? - dodo
Well back to the subject in hand. I bought a new Primera 2.2 DCi SE exactly a month ago and I am delighted with it. The engine is Nissan's own and the car is very well built, economical and a good handling. I have covered 2350 miles in the month and mpg is now about 43.8 mpg. The car is very well equipped and has a surprising turn of speed if you use the six speed gearbox right. To be honest for the money I wasn't expecting it to be as good- certainly better than a previous Golf Mk4 GT Tdi (150 bhp)which gave a lot of problems. The Nissan Primera 1.8 is supposed to be smooth but quite thirsty. Try the diesel - I'm glad I did!
Thanks everyone. He's done the deal and will shortly be taking delivery of a Primera 2.2 TD SE+. I hope he likes it as much as dodo!

This'll be his third Nissan in a row. He first tried them after I raved about my brief but enjoyable experiences of the old shape Primera 2.0e GT and 1.6 Si. I imagine you could get one of those for buttons now.
Which new Primera? - dodo
Thats good. Mine's an SE+ too. Its worth getting the right phone kit that links in to the dash/monitor. Also make sure to get mud flaps as the car is easily dirtied. The silver looks good too!
Thanks. He's got the mudflaps. However the day my dad gets a mobile phone is the day hell freezes over.......
Which new Primera? - jlo
I am sure you will be pleased with your new Primera.

I have the 2.2 SVE with leather and have covered 17500 miles since November 2003 (yes I am a rep!!) but these have been 17500 trouble free miles. had an Alfa 156 before that never broke down but had plenty of visits to the dealer for minor things.

My Dad also has a Nissan Primera SE 2.2 but the 126ps engine. He likes it but you notice the extra tourqe of the 138ps engine.

Its not a prestige car and my colleuges often opt out for BMW's and Mercs but none of them have leather seats or Sat Nav :)

Enjoy

James