Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - carl_a
According to the initial quality study from JD power, Hyundai & Honda are now graded joint second and Toyota are top.

The study doesn't show such great results for VW, Nissan or Kia however.

Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - tunacat
Is this the survey in the USA, measured in faults per 100 vehicles on new vehicles?

Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - peterb
" Hyundai makes the second best cars"

No it doesn't
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - carl_a
Its on the www.jdpower.com web site, I was watching CNN and it came up on the scroller.

I just did a search and \'Consumer reports\'( www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-03-11-cr-picks_x...m )
also says Hyundai is number 2, the article also has someone from JD power saying they didn\'t think Hyundai was anywhere near there(this was last year), seems they agree now.
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - Altea Ego
On the whole they make crap cars. What makes it appear 2nd is the the drivers and owners dont know any better.
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - No Do$h
What makes it appear
2nd is the the drivers and owners dont know any better.

Well we are dealing with Americans here. They thought the Pontiac Firebird was \"purdy neat, boy\" and not an execrable bucket of bolts built loosely around what could be laughingly referred to as the transmission.

And they bought us the Probe for goodness sake. And the Crossfire. When will they ever learn?
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - Mark (RLBS)
Oi ! I had a Firebird, albeit upgraded to a Firehawk, and pretty damned neat is about what it was.

And coming from a tractor driver..............
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - No Do$h
Oi ! I had a Firebird, albeit upgraded to a Firehawk,
and pretty damned neat is about what it was.
And coming from a tractor driver..............

Italian Sports Tractor if you don't mind.

Anyway you drive a toyota landcruiser. What do you know about motoring? Sailing maybe, but motoring?
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - Cardew
Well we are dealing with Americans here. They thought the
Pontiac Firebird was \"purdy neat, boy\" and not an execrable bucket
of bolts built loosely around what could be laughingly referred to
as the transmission.
And they bought us the Probe for goodness sake. And
the Crossfire. When will they ever learn?

Knocking USA motorists on their past reputation of their cars is ironic from someone who champions the reliability of an Alfa Romeo!!

In the past some pretty awful cars were produced in the USA and a gullible public bought them as there was little foreign competition for large cars - Mercs were astronomically expensive and Jaguar's quality problems were legendary.

Gradually smaller cars became acceptable and Japan, and lately Korea, have begun to dominate the market. The average USA motorist drives in a leisurely fashion on undemanding roads and is not enthusiastic about motoring in the same way as many Europeans. What they do demand is reliability and value for money.

It is also pertinent to point out that this foreign competition has brought about a huge improvement in the standard of the cars produced by domestic manufacturers.

Which brings us to Hyundai which is the best selling car in the part of USA I frequent. All Hyundai have a 10 year 100k powertrain warranty(engine, gearbox, transmission) 5 year 60k 'bumper to bumper' warranty(just about everything else)
5 year unlimited roadside breakdown etc etc. In addition the dealers throw in incentives like 5 years free servicing.

My fishing pal has just bought a new Santa Fe with 3.5V6 with all the bells and whistles, Leather, Alloys, Auto, Climate etc for under £12K

Clearly most Hyundai would not be the choice of those who frequent the BR, but IMO it is perfectly understandable why they are popular in the USA and other countries.

Horses for Courses!
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - NowWheels
Well we are dealing with Americans here. They thought the
Pontiac Firebird was \"purdy neat, boy\" and not an execrable bucket
of bolts built loosely around what could be laughingly referred to
as the transmission.

Aaarrgh! I hope it is no relation to the Pontiac Sunbird which I drove on hire ten years ago.

The car appeared to be based on a previous version of a Vauxhall Cavalier, but the gearbox was 3speed (all difft varieties of mush). The engine was supposed to be two litres, but it had less oomf than an old Mini.

Mind you, when (out of curiosity) I checked the retail price, I forgave it. Merkin cars may be crude, but they are very easy on the purse.

Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - THe Growler
Living as I do in Asia I must differ.

The Hyundai Starex van for example beats the pants off anything else in the same bracket.
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - tunacat
"On the whole they make crap cars. What makes it appear 2nd is the the drivers and owners dont know any better."

(-I thought that word wasn't allowed?)

Similar things used to be said about Toyotas and Datsuns when they first started coming to the UK.

It's probably only a matter of time before Hyundai are no joke either. They did pretty well in the latest UK JD Power survey too - 'much improved', or something, IIRC.

Meanwhile, in survey after survey, Renault don't rate very well. Maybe their owners are hyper-critical? I loved Renaults in the 70's. We've had a 16, a 12 and a 5 in our family, and they were great. But nowadays I feel to keep seeing too many things about them that cause me to worry too much about gambling on purchasing one myself.
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - daveyK_UK
See!

My hyundai accent, while costing less than £2000 3 years old is a bargian. You can mock the image, you can skit the driving position but you will see my driving past you when your crying down the phone to the bank manager outside a garage with your renault MOT failure victim.

Hyundai's are very basic mechanics, but its all established - so easy to understand, fix and maintain.
Shame about the quality of paint work!
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - daveyK_UK
One quick question.

If kia and hyundai share similar powertrains and similar cars, how come Kia did so bad?
DaveyK,
"If kia and hyundai share similar powertrains and similar cars, how come Kia did so bad?"

Presumably the reason is that the rating(IQS) covers a number of factors not just powertrains, viz

"IQS measures a broad range of quality problems, heavily weighted toward defects and malfunctions, quality of workmanship, drivability, human factors in engineering (i.e. ease of use) and safety-related problems."

C
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - Altea Ego
I forgot! sorry! suprised it got past the filter, I take it all back anyway. They are guano.
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - T Lucas
I guess Hyundai outsell Renault throughout the world and their product will get better and better in the way that Asian manufacturers always seem to.
Anyway Mr R.F.,when did you last own/drive a Hyundai?
Best yet,you even get to see Hyundai on the roads in France,something not too many years ago the average Frenchman would never contemplate.
Kia and Hyundai may not be at the front of motoring innovation right now,but they will be challenging for that position.
The Euro manufacturers dismiss them at their peril,look at Nokias position now in comparison to Samsung.Scarey if you are a Nokia shareholder/worker.
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - THe Growler
I am old enough to remember when Pride and Clarke brought the first shovel-front Toyota Coronas into England in 1966, had radios, tool kits, all things which were then optional extras on the best of British -- Hillman Minx, Sunbeam Rapiers, Austin Cambridges and other examples of the complacency of the era.

Goodness me I'd never buy one of those! They make 'em on a bowl of rice a day! They're made of monkey metal anyway! What about spares?

And so history is made.

You don't see many Renault in the USA or any French cars for that matter. As I said in an earlier post the average American motorists demands reliablity.
Hyundai makes the second best cars ! - Dalglish
" According to the initial quality study from JD power, Hyundai & Honda are now graded joint second and Toyota are top.

The study doesn't show such great results for VW, Nissan or Kia however. "

nissan now owned by renault!
kia made in malaysia, labour quality on par with india.
vw - we all know why they are in trouble.

miitsubishi - also in trouble, being abandoned to bankruptcy/administration by part owner benz-chrysler.

mazda - now part of ford.

that leaves just honda and toyota as mainstream japanese maunfacturers.

hyundai and bmw - who knows if their success will continue longterm but they have my support more than any of the british/french/italian makes.