Almera 1.8SE Fuel Gauge, 00MY - A Dent{P}
Hello peeps, I have a little motoring problem.
My fuel gauge has become inaccurate. When I bought the car (19K miles) and filled the tank the needle didn?t quite reach the full mark, but it was close enough to not worry about. The empty light would come on 400 miles later and it would take 56 litres (60 litre tank IIRC).
A couple of weeks ago I filled it and the needle held off the full mark by about 1/8th of a tank full, and stayed there for a least 50 miles (about right) before it would start to drop. Now the empty light comes on at 350 miles (I know historically I will get 400 miles) and it?s bugging me. Is the sender up the creak? If so any ideas how much? Or could it be a bad connection?
It's still only done 23K mile BTW, and my warrantee won't cover it , at least I think so but I have not checked.
Thoughts and suggestions welcome, Thanks.
Almera 1.8SE Fuel Gauge, 00MY - Dynamic Dave
It's still only done 23K mile BTW, and my warrantee won't
cover it , at least I think so but I have
not checked.

Ring them and ask. When the sender unit played up on my old Cavalier, the Network Q warranty covered it.

Almera 1.8SE Fuel Gauge, 00MY - Aprilia
Curiously I've noted on Primeras and Almeras that the needle stops just before the 'full' mark, even though the tank is full.

Notwithstanding that, I would suspect that there is a little bit of excess resistance in your circuit somewhere.
Grounding the sender wire at the tank should send the needle to 'full scale' - increasing resistance takes the needle toward the 'empty' end of the scale.
I would check the connections in the circuit, specifically at the tank sender.
Its also possible that the sender unit is is a little 'sticky' and not quite making it to full scale.
Thanks DD, and Aprilla.
I will check out the warrantee, but I suspect I will need to buy a CD from EBAY, (no Haynes manual for these) but anyway I will chase the connections from the tank this weekend.
If anyone has knowledge of where to access the connector I'd be grateful.
Thanks again.
OK, I removed the access panel to the top of the tank and found a 5 pin connector, and without a circuit diagram showing the wire colours I can?t check the gauge for FSD.
The arrangement is a combined fuel pump/ sender unit, and Nissan quote £180 inc VAT for it, a non-starter from my pocket.
My warrantee will only cover items that are not working (assuming I tell them it?s just inaccurate-have not contacted them yet) so I could be stuck with it.
If I remove the offending pump / sender unit is it likely to be repairable or have removable items that can be fettled back to life? Could visit the breakers I suppose!.
Must say I?m miffed at having to do this on a just - 4 year old car. Grumble, mumble, moan.
Almera 1.8SE Fuel Gauge, 00MY - Aprilia
I think you need to start by getting the colour code for the wires. If its any help, the pump supply is likely to be heavier gauge wire.