disconnected speedo - mark495
A freind of mine has decided to disconnect his speedo in an attempt to avoid being caught speeding,
Is this illegal? im sure it is
disconnected speedo - Mark (RLBS)
How is that going to stop him getting caught speeding ? I would have thought it would have made it more likely ?

The reality is though, if you're speeding then you're speeding. A non-working speedo is your responsibility and not a defence to anything.
disconnected speedo - DavidHM
Thank you, Mark495, and your "friend" for giving me a laugh this morning.
i think its so he has an excuse!
but i tried tellingnhim it wouldnt stand
disconnected speedo - Altea Ego
what a brill idea. I have now drained the brake fluid from my car - this should ensure I dont get nicked for speeding.
disconnected speedo - Dynamic Dave
And there was me thinking April fools day was 26 days ago.

guys, im not saying to do this or saying its the right thing to do,
theres a chap at work who has come in this morning saying him and a few mates have all done it and i agree its stupid.
I am just wondering if anybody knew what a police man would say to 'my speedo isnt working' or if there is a law against it
disconnected speedo - DavidHM
Once he'd stopped laughing, you mean?

He'd carry on booking you for speeding and when he'd finished, he'd book you for having an unroadworthy vehicle as well.

No doubt "Dwight Van Driver" will give the precise provision under the Construction & Use Regulations, but it is in there.

Even if it was likely to work as an excuse with a police officer, you'd still have to get round the fact that you're much more likely to be flashed by a camera, and would be going through the camera without actually knowing how fast you were going.
thanks, im trying to prove a point to him here.
tho he seems insistant if he was to get an NIp hecould just write back speedo not working and the have to let him off
disconnected speedo - Mark (RLBS)
Of course it will work.

In fact, he doesn\'t really need to disconnect the speedo at all. He could wait until he gets the NIP and simply write back and tell them the speedo wasn\'t working at the time, but it has been fixed since. Further, if he got a broken speedo from a breakers he could just keep that as proof.

I\'m sure that they will just think \"oh well, never mind\" and stop any penalty or prosecution immediately.

I see no flaws in this reasoning at all. Now, on to the tooth fairy and santa claus......
disconnected speedo - Andrew-T
mark495 - are you sure these mates aren't just doing it to enhance the resale value of their motors?
disconnected speedo - Nsar
OK guys, I think he's probably got the message! Let's give Mark495 some credit for seeking the advice others to reinforce his own counsel rather than shrugging his shoulders and saying "Dunno mate, try and it and see what happens"
disconnected speedo - borasport20
but it is the funniest thing I've read in ages

I think we should open a book on what sort of car Marks mate drives - Saxo VTR or Nova with a spoiler the size of a house door ? ;-)

--
just 'cos I know what I'm saying doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about

its somesort of rover 200 i think
-boy racer, not a chance
disconnected speedo - Mapmaker
Unless I'm much mistaken, my W123 had separate inputs for the speedometer, and mileometer. So you could disconnect one but not the other. So you could avoid speeding fines, yet not be in trouble for 'clocking'.

disconnected speedo - Dwight Van Driver
There is no defence to a charge of speeding other than administrative (Defect in NOIP, Act and Section etc)for the general public.

As to speedo ah brings back old memories of sheeting delivery/collection drivers in the old days having collected a vehicle from darn sarf and driving oop north with speedo disconnected so that delivery mileage zero at point of sale. As big a laugh for the new owner to carefully run their prized new possession in not knowing the hammer some of these new vehicles were subject to on those journeys.

Reg 36 MV Con and Use 86

If fitted in compliance with the Regs then to be kept free from obstruction preventing it being easily read and shall at all "material times" be maintained in good working order.

"Material times" means when the vehicle is used on a road except:
When speedo becomes defective during a current journey, 0r
Defect present and steps have been taken to have speedo replaced/repaired with reasonable expedition.

DVD

disconnected speedo - GrumpyOldGit
"Material times" means when the vehicle is used on a road
except:
When speedo becomes defective during a current journey, 0r
Defect present and steps have been taken to have speedo replaced/repaired with reasonable expedition.
DVD

So would 'Sorry officer, it was working when I started out.' work?
disconnected speedo - Pugugly {P}
Why should Britain tremble.....