Ford Theft Deterrent surely not? - Adam {P}
Last week my Cd player got stolen out of my car (there is a previous posting by me lurking somewhere) so I have put the original Ford Stereo. The car is a mark 4 fiesta and the stereo a 5000 rds so the big breezeblock sized thing. Anyway - these Ford radios have the feature of being able to remove the radio preset buttons 2 - 5 revealing a flashing LED as a theft deterrent and thus rendering the radio inoperable. Because I've become the new security conscious person in the house I've started removing the buttons from my car and my dad's Focus which is when I discovering this problem. When I was moving my Dad's car I put one set of the keys for the radio into his CD player (a 6000 rds) and backed the car out of the drive. However, when I was getting out, I noticed that I have put MY buttons onto his cd player.

THe problem, as you may have guessed by now is that the radio worked with my buttons. So I tried the Focus buttons in my car and yep - they worked. The buttons from a 2000 Focus with a completely different cd player worked with a '96 Fiesta and vice versa. To me, this sounds crazy as only the opportunist thief would be deterred. I know that if someone wants the radio they will have it no matter what you do but the fact that these buttons can be used on any Ford stereo seems pointless.

Any thoughts?

Adam
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
Ford Theft Deterrent surely not? - Civic8
I think you will find if the power supply to the radio is cut off ie its stolen it will have to be recoded.the same as you would if you removed/installed. buttons wont make any difference then as the code is still needed
Ford Theft Deterrent surely not? - Dynamic Dave

I would imagine the only place to buy a replacement panel would be from Ford, and you'd need proof that you own the car beforehand, as well as something like a utility bill as proof of address.

However, what you're saying is that a thief would only have to break into another Ford for the panel. He could nick a high spec stereo from one car with the panel missing, and then break into another car for the panel from a low spec stereo, and vola, he has a high spec working stereo.

There lies the weakness in the security of the Ford stereo, it's only any good if every owner removes the security panel.

I assume the Ford stereo also has a code back up should the power be interupted?

Digressing slightly, if you fit a different panel on a Vauxhall stereo you need to put the security code in before it will work. Nicking one from one car, and one from another car won't work unless you have the code.

>>>However, what you're saying is that a thief would only have to break into another Ford for the panel. He could nick a high spec stereo from one car with the panel missing, and then break into another car for the panel from a low spec stereo, and vola, he has a high spec working stereo. <<<

When you put it like that, it seems a bit long winded Dave! But as always you are correct - when the power is removed the keycode is needed but I was under the impression these were easy to bypass using a freezer. Thanks for the replies

Adam

--
Ford Theft Deterrent surely not? - Dynamic Dave
I was under the impression these were easy to bypass using a freezer.

I'm afraid that's an old wifes tale.
Don't be afraid. I have no intention of needing to call upon it. That is of course unless I see a nice stereo in a car which doesn't happen to be mine ;-)
--
Ford Theft Deterrent surely not? - Civic8
under the impression these were easy to bypass using a freezer

I havent heard of it actually working.the freezing process cracks the chips making radio useless.