Regulations for Driving on the Continent - Damp Squib
I got my Britannia Rescue renewal today and included a leaflet with some quirky continental regulations for drivers. The didn't mention the usual stuff about red triangles, spare bulbs and first aid kits but the following might be of interest.

1. In Spain, if you need spectacles for driving, you must carry a spare pair with you.

2. In France it is illegal to contact the emergency services by mobile phone - only the roadside emergency phones will do. I don't think this would stop mt ringing 112 or whatever for an ambulance or from a crash scene. I hope they just mean if your car breaks down you musn't use a mobile.
Regulations for Driving on the Continent - patently
The Spanish one seems sensible - I have kept an old pair in the glovebox ever since I managed to break a pair and realised just how fragile they can be. My uncorrected eyesight is simply not good enough to get me home.

The French rule might flow from the fact that the roadside phones can be located instantly, so they know where the accident is. Some people might know where they are of course - does this say something about French nvigational abilities?
Regulations for Driving on the Continent - colinh
Also in Spain (and Italy, I think) - a high visibility vest is required if walking to an emergency telephone on a motorway, or changing a wheel.
Came into force this year - all local supermarkets here have plentiful supplies.
Regulations for Driving on the Continent - Chuffer Dandridge
Rule 1 would be a good idea in the UK

Working in an Eye Hospital Casualty Dept, it never ceased to amaze me when contact lens wearers came in with eye infections, & when told they shouldn't wear their lenses for a few days suddenly realised they didn't have any spectacles to wear for driving.
Regulations for Driving on the Continent - malteser
Most important regulation - DRIVE ON THE RIGHT !
Roger.
Regulations for Driving on the Continent - henry k
Try
www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas/compulsory_equ...l

Regulations for Driving on the Continent - henry k
And
www.rac.co.uk/travelservices/european_advisor/gene...t