Pedestrians in Car Parks - Mr Tickle
Is anyone aware of any rules about the right of way in a car park? I am frequently amazed at the way some people park and then walk off, apparently oblivious to other motorists manoeuvring and careless of their own safety. A car park is surely not the same as a pedestrian crossing with the the green man illuminated, but who should give way?
Pedestrians in Car Parks - pienmash
i think pedestrians have right away in car parks mate and in general...
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Doc
Pedestrians tend to be softer than cars, so any encounter is unequal.

Pedestrians in Car Parks - Civic8
Pedestrians always have right of way.no matter of where it is.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - HF
I'd say it doesn't really matter what the rules are. If you're manoevring in a car park then surely you've just got to take that bit of extra care, knowing, as you do, that there might be wayward pedestrians crossing your path.
HF
Pedestrians in Car Parks - trancer
Moving to the UK from a country where no-one stops for pedestrians on a crosswalk unless there is a traffic signal instructing cars to do so, I am amazed by pedestrians who just walk into the road when at a crosswalk as if somehow the painted white lines will automatically apply the brakes of approaching cars. When I made a comment about how dangerous that was, I was promptly told, "well, they have the right of way". That right of way won't soften the landing any when they are flying through the air!!!.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Cliff Pope
There is an old bit of nautical doggerel:

Here lies the body of Michael O'Shea,
Who died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as he sailed along.
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - patently
And how about the parents who poke the pushchair out into the road while looking for a gap to cross?
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Bromptonaut
On a car park always drive on the basis that a mother, sole support of six unruly kids, will emerge from behind any vehicle. Why is it necessary or desirable to go any faster?
Same goes for most places. That bend ahead might hide a tractor coming the other way at 5 mph in the middle of the road pulling a hay-laden tailer that is only 6" narrower than the road.... and so on.

Hang on - I'm on Oxfordshire at the moment - the bend probably IS hiding a tractor with......
Should have explained - that's just the A34. Wait til you try the country lanes.... ;-)
Pedestrians in Car Parks - No Do$h
Just exactly how fast do you need to drive in Tescbury's carpark? Surely the layout, presence of lots of trolleys, reversing cars and pedestrians, often with small family members in tow, dictates that this is one place where any speed in double figures is too high?

Regardless of who has "Right" (a much used and abused word) of way, how will you feel if you clonk a kid at 10mph and fracture their skull? Will you remonstrate with the parent before you issue court proceedings to have the matted blood and hair removed from your bonnet? This is a matter of responsibility. You are in a congested commercial area, driving a tonne of steel around. You have a responsibility to be aware of the risks that this entails in such surroundings.

Good grief....

ND
I don't think its a matter of how fast one should or shouldn't drive in a car park, hitting someone at single digits speeds can still cause serious injury, but more of people who feel that because they are in a carpark (or at a crosswalk, school zone etc) car drivers should be more mindful of pedestrians therefore they do not need to be mindful of cars. Pedestrians also have a [I can't do that bold thingy]responsibility[/I can't do that bold thingy] to keep themselves out of harm's way and aware of moving cars, however many don't.
Bold thingy.

If I use the actual commands you won't be able to see them so replace ] with > and [ with <

bold: [b]
bold off: [/b]

italic: [i]
italic off: [/i]

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
ND - keep going ... I need the bit about how to edit people\'s posts....

Like this.

Keep it on topic please folks. Please don\'t use this as an excuse to try your expertise at html in the forum as we will jump on it from a great height.

There, I feel better for that :o)

ND
Thanks, I could have sworn I read in another thread that deviations from standard fonts were not enabled for non-Mod backroomers. Thats why I didn't even attempt the bold tags.
Bold and italic are ok for emphasis. All other font deviation has been locked out for our use only to prevent this turning into a

cicrus
Pedestrians in Car Parks - OldPeculiar
No to font deviants! No to font deviants! (sorry)

I think people have jumped a little to heavily on the car driver here - there is a valid point about how some peds treat car parks like a pavement. How many times have you been reversing out of a space to find someone with a trolley walk straight behind you? Yes a driver has a responsibility to be careful and not hit the soft people but it would help if pedestrians paid a little more attention to what's going on around them.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - runboy
It is a 50/50 thing. Car drivers must be aware that shoppers may step in front of them, but also shoppers must be aware that there isn't always clear walk ways, kerbs to mark pavements etc

Many shoppers I have seen will walk straight out of the shop and treat the car park as a giant foyer, oblivious to moving vehicles.

On the other hand I have had drivers reverse out of spaces with blinkers on, unaware of people in the car behind standing at their boot with a trolley.
And I bet the pedestrians who walk straight out into the car park without a care in the world are often the same ones who expect everyone to scatter while they are reversing!
Pedestrians in Car Parks - volvoman
Yeah and I bet they're the one who then get into their cars and drive off in the same careless manner.

There is a lot of truth in the post (author forgotten I'm afraid) pointing out how differently people behave when they're behind the wheel as opposed to when their pedestrians. Judging by the way in which some drivers 'love' their precious cars I think fear of getting them damaged is a factor in this - let's face it you don't get a nasty dent in your bodywork if you just bump into someone as you're walking to the shops.

Having said all that I try to make the same allowances for pedestrians as I would do for my family. When that careless little boy steps out in front of my car I imagine it being my little boy somewhere else in front of someone else. What would I want the driver to do ? Knock him up in the air, frighten him to death, deliberately exacerbate his carelessness by speeding up so he has to jump out of the way? The same applies to all pedestrians - what's wrong with being courteous? Why are some people so unforgiving?

I recall an incindent in which a little old lady was fined for driving at 50? in the outisde lane of a motorway. I must admit I didn't have much sympathy until I heard her side of the story and how she'd lost her bearings and was trying to get back into lane one but all the other drivers were undertaking were preventing her from so doing. Yes, hers were the original mistakes but the selfish and stupid actions of numerous others drivers served simply to compound the original problem. Having suffered a similar experience (for different reasons I must add) on the M2 some years ago I know exactly how she felt! How many accidents are caused in that way.

All that's required is some common sense and good manners.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Andrew-T
The best events in car-parks don't involve pedestrians, but cars reversing simultaneously from back-to-back spaces.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Malcolm_L
Agreed, people seem to change as much getting out of cars as they do once behind the wheel.

I once knocked down a neighbour who walked out behind my car whilst I was reversing, she thought I was reversing into a space whilst I knew I was reversing down the road!

Whilst I was in the right, this didn't make me feel any better as she was very badly bruised. You'll never miss the extra minute it takes so you just have to be pragmatic about it and
smile sweetly.

People's personality changes the moment they get in a car. I often used to notice how people walking across our office carpark would smile, wait, apologise for baulking each other, generally behave as humans. But once in their cars they would run each other down without a care - people on foot simply do not exist to those in the car. It might be different if all cars were open top, or even just had their windows open.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - matt35 {P}
Cliff,

"It might be different if all cars were open top, or even just had their windows open."

Maybe DVD remembers the Police advice - 'When in town,windows down"?

We have 5 senses - it is good to use all of them when we are driving a ton of metal and plastic.

Matt35.

PS - just noticed, it's 'drink o clock' - logging off.
Cliff - you have just touched on a point which frustrates me repeatedly. Why do so many car designers start or follow trends which clearly ruin rearward visibility? It can't be just for reasons of body rigidity or something else mechanical.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - anon52
I do not think that they should or even do have right of way. If I am ever caught up in a car park or made to stop because of careless people walking out or those anoying skateboarders I sound the horn. Car parks are dangerous places, not places to mess around or be slow.

Last week I snapped a boarders board in two! Him and his mates thought it was a great idea to roll them in front of cars to make them stop - well as you can guess - I didn't! They wern't very pleased.
I should imagine they weren't. I take it you made a quick getaway before they threw the broken halves through your windscreen?
Highway code states that cars must give way to pedestrians when turning left/right.

In other words if the careless pedestrian doesn't look before crossing the road - the car driver should stop, personally I normally give a short blast if they're not looking and I'm turning.

Pedestrians in Car Parks - Perturbed
My goodness, so much aggression. Chill out people and remember that we are all pedestrians as well as drivers. Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself!
If I walked out across a road without looking, I\'d be grateful for a short toot rather than be knocked down.
Not looking before crossing roads is a very finite habit which needs breaking fast!
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Perturbed
Agree short "toot" is fine to draw attention if pedestrian is going to endanger themselves. Short "blast" sounds a bit more "in your face"
Pedestrians in Car Parks - BazzaBear {P}
I do not think that they should or even do have
right of way. If I am ever caught up in
a car park or made to stop because of careless people
walking out or those anoying skateboarders I sound the horn.
Car parks are dangerous places, not places to mess around or
be slow.
Last week I snapped a boarders board in two! Him
and his mates thought it was a great idea to roll
them in front of cars to make them stop - well
as you can guess - I didn't! They wern't very
pleased.

Congratulations. I bet you felt like a true hero after breaking a youngsters toy. Yes they're annoying, and yes 'juvenile delinquent' might accurately describe some of them, but with your impressive tales of impatient, impolite horn use, and destroying people's property, perhaps it's not far off being a description of you too.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - frostbite
If I misbehaved and used my toys as weapons, they were taken away from me *and* I got a thick ear.
Never did me any harm.
Hmmm. Troll?
Pedestrians in Car Parks - frostbite
Moi?
Sorry Frostbite. Was referring to Bazza's post about Anon52.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Robbie
"Last week I snapped a boarders board in two! Him and his mates thought it was a great idea to roll them in front of cars to make them stop - well as you can guess - I didn't! They wern't very please"

I found that quite funny, and rather churlish of Bazza to make his comments.
Simple lesson in life, I'd say. You roll precious skateboard in front of oncoming car ... skateboard is destroyed, fault is yours, no point crying.

OK its not nice, its not polite, but if they are taking advantage of other's politeness by doing it repeatedly, rather than once by accident, then I don't have a problem.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - BazzaBear {P}
Perhaps I overreacted, but the description of how he deals with those pesky pedestrians who dare to get in his way led me away from agreeing with the second part of the post.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - SjB {P}
... And how about the parents who poke the pushchair out into the road while looking for a gap to cross? ...

Exactly that happened to a friend of mine last week, whose previously pristine Triumph motorcycle now has a very damaged right hand side, and he had a trip to casualty.

A young mother was stood motionless at the side of the road, push chair in front, whereupon she simultaneously looked the 'wrong' way to see oncoming traffic on her side of the road, and stepped off the kerb. On a bend exiting a roundbout in a continuous rush hour flow of traffic, matey missed the push chair by a gnats, but lost the front end as he tried to stand the bike up and brake from what was estimated as about 20MPH.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Roger Jones
I am reminded of being rear-ended when I had to do an emergency stop to avoid hitting a pedestrian in Camden, who ran -- ran, not walked -- onto a zebra crossing without looking either way. Mr Van Man who shunted me said "That was a bit sudden, mate". I said "What did you expect me to do -- run over him?" Pedestrian disappeared, oblivious. Not the only instance of reckless pedestrian behaviour, of course, but, as we know all too well, motorists are always to blame.

Why isn't road sense -- general road sense for everyone -- on the curriculum in primary schools?
Why isn\'t road sense -- general road sense for everyone --
on the curriculum in primary schools?

Because it\'s the responsibility of the parent? Why is the state expected to pick up everything that ought to be instilled in a child before they even get to school? My 4 year old daughter is so switched on to road safety that she yelled at me to stop when I went to walk across our driveway as our neighbour started to reverse some 30 yards away. And yes, I stopped as to not do so would have weakened the road safety message we\'ve already managed to convey to her.

If a parent is daft enough not to teach their child road sense then it\'s darwinian selection as far as I can see. That\'s not to say that every child road death is as a result of parental failure, far from it. But surely the overal responsibility to instil this sense into children lies with the parent?
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Roger Jones
ND, I couldn't agree more with you, but I refrained from making that point, partly because I am not a parent and partly because -- if we do want to improve matters -- the schools surely have to be the channel for such basic safety education while it is self-evident that all too many parents neglect it.
[TIC mode on]I refer the learned gentleman to my comment on Darwinian selection.

If the parents are too stupid to drum this into little John and Jane, then the reduction in their progeny will hardly be a loss to the gene pool.[TIC mode off]

School kids aren\'t pedestrians (least around my neck of the woods).

I work with someone who drives her kids 300 yards to school regardless of the weather.

At least they might pick up some aspects of road safety from being driven to school!
Ideally, both the school and the parent would have a hand in educating the little ones.

A close relative of mine teaches at primary level ad the tales she can tell of the quality of some parenting is truly depressing.

I still remember when my own primary school (1970's) set up a road safety fortnight - every corridor was marked out as a road, you walked on the left, there were roundabouts and traffic lights, speed limits, box junctions, the lot. We were enlisted as monitors to watch for infringements and issue tickets*. The amount we learnt about road behaviour and how to read what was going on was tremenduous. Only a school could do that, I think - no space and not enough people at home.

*The only snag was that several little dears managed to grow little toothbrush moustaches. Sadly, I can't remember whether that included me...
When I were a lad all them moons ago we had regular visits to school from all the emergency services to teach us the dangers of roads, fire, building sites, cycling etc. I would hope that they still visit schools to give these messages IMHO it was much more effective than relying on the teachers as a lot more attention was paid to a uniformed officer.

But even so kids still ignored what was said - education and rules can only be so effective. Personal responsibility has to make up the gap. Both drivers and pedestrians must avoid the 'who is to blame' argument and try on concentrate on being as safe as possible regardless of blame.

Here endeth the sermon. We will now sing hymn number 102 "Thou art smarter than us"
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Stargazer {P}
Also back in the early 70's, the Tufty club and cycling proficiency tests in the school playground by local PC...entire playground was marked out as a road system with junctions and roundabouts.

Ian L.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - volvoman
Parents and to a lesser extent, schools have a responsibility here but the truth is that far too many adults don't set a very good example or even practice what they preach! Take for example the poor behaviour of parents driving their kids to school - you know, speeding, illegal parking/'U' turns/use of mobile phones.... the list is endless. Children tend to emulate the behaviour of those responsible for them so, coupled with the inexperience and exuberence of youth, it's no great surprise to me that so many kids grow up being oblivious to what's going on around them and the dangers they face. It's expecting quite a lot of the average child to teach his/her parents how to behave responsibly.
"Ideally, both the school and the parent would have a hand in educating the little ones."

Absolutely right, patently. The problem area is the 'family' with irresponsible parent(s) - they don't bother to teach the kids much, except perhaps that rules are to be ignored for any reason which may seem fun at the time. Not a good recipe for gaining road sense.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - anon52
I seemed to have aquired a few fans (joke). Thanks to those who are sticking up for me, and to those who don't agree - i really don't care.
I seemed to have aquired a few fans (joke). Thanks
to those who are sticking up for me, and to those
who don't agree - i really don't care.

Well it is a discussion forum. Would be really tedious if we all agreed on everything.

No Dosh
Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Rebecca {P}
While we're on the subject of road safety/children, I hope that no BRoomers EVER cross the road at lights before the 'Green Man' light tells you to do so, if there are children about.

It's soooooooo annoying when (as a halo-wearing responsible parent) you are teaching your children about road safety, you always make them wait for the Green Man...and other adults just cross the road regardless.

Then you get all the questions about why 'that man' (and it is usually men) didn't wait etc etc "Well, he is VERY silly....etc etc "

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

sorry, rant over. Feel better now.
BRoomers.

I like it. That may just stick. :o)

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Don't Vroom ... BRoom instead!
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Stargazer {P}
Rebecca,

Completely agree, when walking my 4 year old home I have to explain very carefully about crossing roads and it is beginning to sink in a little. But this can all be undone by one person crossing on the red man. Another problem is the polite driver who thinks they are helping by pulling to a stop and waving the small child across.

Unfortunately the small child then thinks it is safe and wants to cross without regard to any other cars/cycles or motorcycles that are present. In this case I politely wave the car on while holding on firmly to my daughter and explaining carefully why.

regards

Ian L.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - SpamCan61 {P}
Been there; done that....and the other challenge with my little 'uns is teaching them that just because the green man has lit up doesn't magically make it safe to cross. You still need to look both ways. How many adults bother?

Hopefully they got the point a few weeks back when we were crossing at a pelican in Swanage. Green man lights up; kids about to charge into the road; I grab them just as an ambulance comes screaming round the corner; straight across the pelican crossing at full tilt. Hopefully, just for once, they learned their lesson!
Pedestrians in Car Parks - cockle {P}
I grab them just
as an ambulance comes screaming round the corner; straight across the
pelican crossing at full tilt.

SpamCan, out of interest did the ambulance have its siren on?
The reason I ask is because I am currently awaiting a reply from the manager of our local ambulance service to a complaint I made on behalf of my mother. She doesn't see too well these days and was crossing a pelican to get to our local theatre as it conveniently still has the 'beepers' fitted to tell her when the green man is lit. Apparently she was about a third of the way across when an ambulance went through the red and across the crossing in front of her, luckily a young lad was crossing at the time, saw the ambulance coming and stopped her. It would appear from what she says that the ambulance had its blue lights on but not its siren therefore she didn't hear it coming and being partially blind didn't see the blue lights. I would have thought that an emergency vehicle should have been sounding its siren during such a manoeuvre.

Cockle
I have to disagree on the subject of children, crossings, etc.
The important thing is to teach them to watch the road and the traffic.
Innocently thinking that a little green man means it is safe to cross is as dangerous as going just because a driver beckons the child across.
Sometimes it is safe to cross when the man is red, sometimes it is still unsafe even though he is green.
Road sense means YOUR sense, not automatic devices, indicators, flashing lights, toots, waves, etc.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - JamZ
A little deviation from this but in Germany, it is illegal to cross a road where there is no crossing, or when the little green man is not illuminated. The thing is, if the police catch you doing it, you *will* get a hefty fine. When the little green man is not lit up, you find that nobody moves, even if nothing is coming. Yes, it would be annoying, but I believe it has really worked at decreasing the number of people getting run over. Maybe there should be laws (and enforcement) like that here?

Just a thought...

Ve vere only followink orders..... Can't see it catching on over here.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - SpamCan61 {P}
cockle : yes I think it did have the siren on; trouble is the pelican crossing in question is pretty much on a blind bend; and so the ambulance wasn't even visible until a second before it crossed the pelican.
It might catch on if they could enforce it with cameras! Of course all pedestrians would have to be required to walk around with a license plate strapped to their butt.

This hefty German fine, do they enforce it with children? Does little 5 year old Johnny have to cough up an 80 euro fine of 3 years pocket money?
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Nortones2
No, its worse than that. Bystanders shout at you in German and glare horribly. Social sanction as well as financial. Seemed to work, when I were a lad in BAOR land.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - GrumpyOldGit
A couple of points. I apologise if they have already been made.

The pedestrians in a car park are most likely to be drivers out of their cars. I have to admit to feeling more 'in the right' when walking in a car park. The drivers should give way to me imo. I'm not advocating leaping out in front of a moving car here, just a bit of give and take. When I'm the driver I assume that pedestrians have priority simply because they are more easily damaged.

Reversing out of a space is poor driving imo. A good driver would reverse INTO a space. The space is a controlled area where it's unlikely that there will be pedestrians or other hazards, and there is no passing traffic. This can be very annoying in the supermarket car park where the spaces really tight. They try to cram in as many cars as possible with no regard to safety or convenience, making loading the shopping into the boot a real pain if you back in.

I'd also always reverse into a garage. (Army training.) If the building catches fire and you need to move the vehicle(s) in a hurry you don't want to be reversing. Even worse at night when you don't have the headlights because you're going backwards.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Mapmaker
Grumpy: 'A good driver would reverse INTO a space.'

You are obviously a bachelor, or at any rate you have never been shopping with a member of the opposite sex! The boot is for filling full of shopping. If parked up against a wall, then it isn't possible. Many's the time I've got into trouble for backing into a space, so I always think which way in I should go. If you're lucky and your car is big enough, then you'll take up 4 spaces anyway, and will have full access from all anges, and you won't get scratched either.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Mark (RLBS)
Reversing is less easy than driving forward.

Why would I reverse from a large space (the lane) into a small space (the parking space) rather than the other way around ?

I realise one should not reverse onto a public highway, but then neither should you reverse off it.

And just how do you get to the boot if its reversed in ?
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Welliesorter
Reversing is less easy than driving forward.

Maybe, but I find turning into a space easier to do in reverse, especially when there's little room to do it.

It's also preferable to drive forward out of a space than to have to reverse out of it as you're more likely to encounter hazards when leaving the space than when entering it.

I have a hatchback but even that would have to be very close to a wall to prevent access to the boot.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Rebecca {P}
it's not just access to the boot, but getting the trolley there that's the problem!
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Mapmaker
I'd always rather reverse into a space. It's much easier I find. I have real difficulty in getting into a space in 1 go, going forward, whereas reversing it's a doddle. Maybe that's a feature of driving a bigger car, but in a carpark designed for Visas, it takes 3 or 4 goes to put a big estate car in going forward, when parked between 2 other big estate cars. Going backwards, I'll happily put it between 2 cars with a hair's breadth on either side.

Parking a Polo going in forwards works because you can get away with being parked at an angle.

Vehicles manoeuvre much better with the steering-wheels (the wheels that do the steering, not the wheel that you hold to make the wheels that steer, steer) at the back. That's why fork-lift trucks have their steering-wheels at the back. And why those irritating trolleys they have in French supermarkets with fixed back wheels are actually better driven backwards.

Pedestrians in Car Parks - John R @ Work {P}
>>I realise one should not reverse onto a public highway, but then neither should you reverse off it.<<

Mark, I beg to differ on this, the Highway Code says...

"Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can."

The only time I ever drove forward into a drive was if I wanted to work on the engine with it nearest to the garage (VW beetles and the like have no excuse!) ;-)

Carparks = Asda/Tescos, frontend in first. Others, backend in first.
John R
Several odd points to pick up on this one:

1)However easy/difficult it may be to reverse in, or not, you have to do the opposite to get out again, so what's the benefit, overall?

2) Getting the trolley round to the back is the real clincher, likewise getting the shopping out when back home.

3) Grumpy obviously doesn't have very effective reversing lights on his car, or he'd be able to see where he was going when reversing out of his garage.

4) Why on earth do they keep making trolleys with 4-wheel casters that are impossible to steer? And if they must build supermarket carparks on slopes (eg Tescos, Carmarthen) could they please fit parking brakes on the trolleys?
Pedestrians in Car Parks - BobbyG
1)However easy/difficult it may be to reverse in, or not, you have to do the opposite to get out again, so what's the benefit, overall?

I would say that it is easier to reverse out a space than into it, purely that if you are reversing into a space you are reversing into a finite space, whereas reversing out then you are only limited to the roadway space.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - HF
This is possibly one of the first times that I have agreed entirely with you, BobbyG!

I, too, am rubbish at parking, and going in backwards takes a lot more skill and confidence than I have, particularly when there is an audience of either pedestrians waiting patiently for you to manoevre or, even worse, a line of cars which you are holding up by your endeavours.

For me, taking the easy route in is best. Coming out again afterwards mightn't be so easy, but at least in that situation you might just have someone willing to wait patiently for you to vacate your space because they want it for themselves.
HF :)
Pedestrians in Car Parks - John.Davies
"Reversing into a parking space is more difficult"

On the contrary! Thanks to bilateral door mirrors, I can see both sides of my car and the sides of both adjacent cars when reversing in. Going in forwards, I can see neither, just the tops of my wings and over those something of the other cars.

But return to the parking/stopping habits of others. Today the car in front of me in a busy shopping street, one way, cars both sides, suddenly stopped to let Granny out. That there was an empty disabled space two cars on, or that Granny might need some help to get out, manipulate her sticks and bag AND shut the car door, did not occur to the driver. It took nearly five minutes.

(Anyone who wishes to accuse me of ungentlemanly conduct for not alighting and assisting the old lady, may do so)

John
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Colin M
Unfortunately a sad casualty of exactly this topic today. Surely no-one should ever drive at a speed high enough to cause injury in a car park? Incomers creep around looking for a space, but using airport car parks regularly, I see people hastily exiting without due care for pedestrians moving around.

From my own observation the worst offenders are mini cab drivers.

Boy killed in airport collision:
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/southern_count...m
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Singer-G
I am bemused that so many drivers refer to pedestrians as if they were a different species. All drivers are at some time also pedestrians (with the possible exception of some disabled drivers). This particularly applies in car parks.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Colin M
Singer, exactly my thoughts, a large percentage of drivers become detached from the real world when getting into their cars.

Put people (as pedestrians) first. I would support making any form of injury to a person in a built up area automatically the drivers fault and try to educate people to drive more considerably. I am surprised how few people are aware that a pedestrian has right of way over a side road junction if they have already started to cross.

In my job I am regularly checked every six months in a simulator and much of the training revolves around expecting the unexpected. Shame we don't have recurrent training as drivers to improve standards and educate.

Pedestrians in Car Parks - smokie
Pedestrians should have equal responsibility for their own safety. Just yesterday I was reversing out of a bay in Tesco and a lady and her (unrestrained young) child walked right across my path, effefctively from a blind spot. I was reversing appropriately slowly so no harm was done, but my glare was met with one twice as fierce.

I mean, there are even pedestrian paths between the rows of cars, why did she need to put herself and her little one at risk?
Pedestrians in Car Parks - Nortones2
Blind spot? There are no blind spots if you use your head to look.
Pedestrians in Car Parks - smokie
I always "use my head", but I don't have eyes all around it, so when looking one way I can't be looking the other too.

But OK, if that's the way you want it, let's make motorists responsible for everything and pedestrians can give up all self responsibility. Would be a good reflection on the way many people aren't prepared to take personal responsibility for anything these days.

Pedestrians in Car Parks - cockle {P}
Working on the basis that the majority of shoppers at the larger supermarkets have arrived by car I never cease to be amazed by their lack of traffic awareness. It would appear that the majority of the population is pro car when in a vehicle but pro pedestrian as soon as they get out of one!

As to reversing into spaces, I always try to, unless boot/rear door access will be restricted, simply because, regularly driving a van, I find it easier to reverse on mirrors.

My main worry when working in supermarkets is that I drive a Transit style van with no rear vision other than door mirrors and when reversing someone 'always' walks across behind me. I take great care and always reverse veeerrry slowly but that just seems to encourage them! Ultimately you can only look in one place at a time and pedestrians have a responsibility too. One guy I had nearly knocked over told me that if I was going to reverse that slowly he wasn't going to wait as he hadn't got all day, he didn't seem that pleased when I told him that if he carried on like that around vehicles he would have an eternity....

Cockle