Nova cooling fan - cliff
Any ideas anyone?
My son's H reg Nova Merit has a cooling problem.
I've flushed out the cooling system and there seems to be a good flow of fluid into the expansion tank so I think the fault lies with the fan not coming on.
The temp goes down when he drives the car.
The cooling fan doesn't come on when the gauge gets into the red.
The Haynes manual says to test the thermo-switch by connecting the two wires feeding it together, turn on the ignition and if the fan starts then replace the switch as it's knackered.
This I've done but the fan still doesn't work.
I tried the test on the new switch and it is the same result as the old one, so is this one faulty as well or has Haynes got it wrong?
Nova cooling fan - Dynamic Dave
No, the Haynes is right Cliff.

Shorting the 2 wires that go to the switch *should* make the fan work.

Silly question, but have you checked the appropriate fuse in the fuse box?
Nova cooling fan - cliff
Sorry, forgot to mention on original post, when I short the two wires together the cooling fan motor starts up ok, so I assume everything's ok on the electrical side, I also guess if the fuse had gone then the fan wouldn't work at all.
The Haynes book says if you short the two wires together and the fan starts then the thermal switch is at fault - which is why I changed it.
However the fault still exists with the new switch so is the new switch at fault? I've read elsewhere is not unheard of.
I hope all this makes clearer reading.
Cliff
Nova cooling fan - Civic8
as you said its more than possible its faulty
Nova cooling fan - Dynamic Dave
As a temp measure until you get another thermo switch, get a heavy duty switch and fit on the dash somewhere. Couple it up to the 2 wires and you can switch on the fan as and when you need to. Failing finding a man enough switch, add in a relay controlled by the switch and let the contacts of the relay take the brunt of the current drawn by the fan.

Nova cooling fan - Civic8
sounds like the fan has gone.or possible broken wire somewhere
there is a connector close to the fan it may need cleaning/ie corroded