Castrol Magnetec - GIM
My car has just had its first service (10,000 miles) at the local Toyota/Lexus dealer.The oil they have used is Castrol Magnetec. I'm just interested if anyone has any opinions (good or Bad) of this product. I was hoping they would use Mobil 1.
Castrol Magnetec - Marc
When I used to have my old MB serviced at a main dealer they used Magnatec so I presume it meets the relevant standards. I think Castrol can be trusted to know what they are doing, oil wise
Castrol Magnetec - Ian D
With the exception of some cars (eg VW PD engines etc) the majority of cars are filled with 10W40 semi-synthetic oil, and the dealers (or groups of dealers) bulk buy the oil in large drums and make vast profits selling it to us punters. Magnatec is commonly used and is as good as the other mainstream oils (Shell Helix, Esso Ultra, Texaco etc) in that they should all meet the same oil specifications and so Magnatec should be fine. Probably worth changing it every 5000 miles though.
Castrol Magnetec - paulc924
When this oil was first introduced it was being promoted as having the advantage of being able to "stick" to the surfaces in the engine. We laughed when our son suggested that this might make it hard to drain when doing an oil change!
Castrol Magnetec - Ian D
That 'stick' bit is a clever bit of Marketing by Castrol, the esters in any semi-synthetic oil will have the same effect and therefore Magnatec is not unique in having the sticking properties, but if it helps sell oils then who can blame them!