Blowing hot & cold - Lee H
Can anyone out there solve a family argument?!

I like driving the car with the windows and sunroof open and the heater on cold. SHMBO is the exact opposite, liking the heater to actually heat the car. That's all well and good until we're in the car together.

I was excited to see that the new Citroen C5 may solve our problems in that it can heat on side of the car (SHMBO) and freeze another (mine).

The argument she presents is that it can't do both at the same time.

Has anyone tried this set up, and does it work? It's only for interest as I'm not intending to buy a car at the moment, but I'd be interested to see what everyone thinks

Cheers,
Lee.
Re: Blowing hot & cold - markymarkn
bmw can. You can set both sides to different temp with aircon 5 series.

why not just have window open on you side and all heaters on pointing to the other?
Re: Blowing hot & cold - John Slaughter
Same on a climate controlled 3 -series. I've noticed 'er indoors often has her side set a degree or two above mine!

regards

john
Re: Blowing hot & cold - Dave
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to ditch the missus and find some sultry russian tottie with a fur coat???

I'll get my coat...
Re: Blowing hot & cold - John Kenyon
Lee H wrote:
>
> Can anyone out there solve a family argument?!
>
> I like driving the car with the windows and sunroof open and
> the heater on cold. SHMBO is the exact opposite, liking the
> heater to actually heat the car. That's all well and good
> until we're in the car together.
>
> I was excited to see that the new Citroen C5 may solve our
> problems in that it can heat on side of the car (SHMBO) and
> freeze another (mine).
>
> The argument she presents is that it can't do both at the
> same time.
>
> Has anyone tried this set up, and does it work? It's only for
> interest as I'm not intending to buy a car at the moment, but
> I'd be interested to see what everyone thinks

I hired a C5 over the weekend - appeared to have bog standard heater
& aircon arrangement.

The only car I've seen this arrangement on was on an Omega.
I guess it's not unusual for larger exec class cars.

BTW managed to get approx 46mpg out-of-town out of the 110BHP 2.0 HDi despite having the aircon on full time, and giving it a good thrashing up
the M40 and through the Peak District.

/john
Re: Blowing hot & cold - honest john
Windows and roof open uses far more fuel than aircon.

HJ
Blowing hot & cold - Rover 75 - David Lacey
Rover 75 (with climate control - most models) is capable of different temperatures driver/passenger.

David
Re: Blowing hot & cold - Ian Cook
No, they're all wrong Lee. Ditch the C5 and get a van. If SWMBO keeps whingeing about the temperature - then put her in the back.

Mind you, I've got a van but I'm nowhere near brave enough to try my own suggestion!

Ian
Re: Blowing hot & cold - David W
Lee,

I have the very vehicle here for your good lady. Ever seen the heater in a Series II Land Rover?

It's usually a round (flat on very latest models) Smiths heater on the dash in front of the passengers knees. There is an attempt at bleeding off some air to the screen in tubes but this doesn't work. There is no ducting at all to the driver and the volume/direction is controlled by two doors on the front of the heater.

The fan is single speed (slow) but most importantly it is a re-circulating type. The air it takes in is from about one inch away from the output. This has two effects.

One is that any moisture in the cab is re-circulated again and again to be deposited as condensation on the windows......you need a wiping rag in your hand when driving from Oct - March (could you be prosecuted for undue care and attention??...I was only wiping the screen officer!).

But from you point of view the advantage is that the warm air also re-circulates through the unit to provide "super-heating" after a few minutes. Passengers end up with burnt knees and never ever complain about a normal car again.

David
Re: Blowing hot & cold - Lee H
Excellent, sounds just the job.

Can I get a LWB version so that if the whining from the heate_d_ gets too much I can follow Ian's suggestion?

Probably a lot cheaper than a C5, and plus the 4WD would be very useful around here in winter.

You wouldn't know of anyone selling one, would you ;)

Cheers,
Lee.