D.J.Walker puffs HJ - hillman
On Radio Two business news this pm disc jockey Johnny Walker puffed HJ's column in the Telegraph. The subject was that Skoda is right at the top of the favoured second hand cars, along with Jaguar and Lexus. Then JW praised HJ's column very highly.
I didn't think that he would read the Telegraph, but there was I listening to Radio2.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - borasport20
but did he plug the backroom...... ?

didn\'t hear it myself, because i\'d loaded up the cd player - I find that when I want to wind down on the way home from work, old JW tendendcy to blather on aimlessly sometimes, particularly when talking to mystery voice contestants or Sally Boazman, is neither entertaining or relaxing

D.J.Walker puffs HJ - RB
I heard it too. No the Back Room wasn't mentioned - it was a quick comment from JW. The business correspondent admitted that he had not heard of HJ nor did he follow Telegraph Motoring. Ho hum.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - OldPeculiar
I heard that one last night. I wonder if JW frequents these boards himself. He could be listening in right now............
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - Soupytwist
If he is could he please retire gracefully so that Stuart Maconie can come back and drag the drive time show back out of the cheesy 80s DJ hell where it has been languishing since Mr Walker's return.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - A Dent{P}
If he is could he please retire gracefully so that Stuart
Maconie can come back and drag the drive time show back
out of the cheesy 80s DJ hell where it has been
languishing since Mr Walker's return.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.

Quite agree. Stuart is miles better. But please also get rid of the national traffic update. Who cares to hear 3-5 minutes of tales about other peoples queue 200 miles away.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - Billsboy
Sorry to disagree, perhaps its an age thing but I quite enjoy JW, and anyone who bolsters HJ can't be all that bad. And another thing, Sally Traffic's voice is so soothing on the long drive home. The Girl's a legend.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - bradgate
"But please also get rid of the national traffic update. Who cares to hear 3-5 minutes of tales about other peoples queue 200 miles away."

Err...Truckers??
"But please also get rid of the national traffic update. Who
cares to hear 3-5 minutes of tales about other peoples queue
200 miles away."
Err...Truckers??

Ah, R2 is a truckers station, now I understand.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - Mark (RLBS)
>>Who cares to hear 3-5 minutes of tales about other peoples queue 200 miles away."

Me;

because I or one of my colleagues may be there sometime today.

because it builds up a picture in my mind over time of places to be aware of.

because it makes me feel better when I'm also in a jam.

because it makes me feel really good about sailing along an empty road.
Okey Dokey, but it doe's nothing for me. Of a 20-50 minute journey I get a fair proportion of useless info and a few songs.
Lucky I have a 6 CD changer now.
When I hear of some horrendous tailback all I have is an image of poor souls already stuck, and another bunch of people with no choice but to join in. Maybe that's a wrong image. Most cars have RDS traffic warning radio's these days so let's use them?
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - Altea Ego
>When I hear of some horrendous tailback all I have is an image of poor souls already stuck

yes satisfying isnt it...

Nothing worse than being in a jam, having been there for half an hour, and the RDS cuts in and some woman says "There is a jam...." YES I KNOW I AM IN IT.

so for me its Radio 5 live. No RDS, Lots of news of other peoples jams, no comment on mine. Just the way I like it.

BTW, does anyone listen to Radio 1 anymore?
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - patently
Oh no - makes me feel far too old
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - PoloGirl
Not since Sarah Cox came to afternoons... I've had to switch to local radio and (shock horror) Steve Wright on Radio 2... although I'm ashamed to admit I think I'm just old enough to remember when he was on Radio 1.

Can't wait til Ms Cox and her irritating scratchy accent go on maternity leave.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - patently
When did he move - "Steve Wright in the afternoon" was compulsory listening?

"Its another true storeeeee....."
Methinks the listening figures reveiled some time ago that onbody listens to R1 anymore. The DJ are rubbish and the music is as bad. Has zero street cred.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - bradgate
The days when Radio 1 was supposed to have broad general appeal are long gone.

R1 is now firmly targeted at the under 25 age group. If you're a trendy 19year old who lives in a big city, like Hip-Hop & Dance music and is interested in tabloid 'celebrities' then R1 is for you.

I guess most of us in this forum don't fit this description. I know i don't.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - quizman
Johnnie Walker is fab. I hope he carries on for many more years.

I can remember when he was on wonderful Radio Caroline with Tony Blackburn, Simon Dee, Dave Lee Travis and loads of others.
They were wonderful days, my Vauxhall Viva was rusty before I bought it new: they don\'t make cars like that any more.
In case anybody thinks I am an old person, I have still got most of my own teeth.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - nick
"But please also get rid of the national traffic update. Who
cares to hear 3-5 minutes of tales about other peoples queue
200 miles away."
Err...Truckers??

Don't you mean lorry drivers?
No, Truckers.

"Lorry Drivers" wear poncy overalls, drive a green lorry with a silly girls name, and have to eat at the Little Chief because they are not allowed in the greasy spoon truck stop for a full set fry up.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - Wilco {P}
Radio 1 totally redundant since the demise of Mark & Lard.

Is it just me or are Five Live travel reports always 30 minutes out of date? By the time you hear about it, you're in it.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - henry k
Is it just me or are Five Live travel reports always
30 minutes out of date? By the time you hear about
it, you're in it.

>>
It does not help that they are shy about their phone number.
Recently I was not able to tell them the M3 was clear so for a hour they were spouting duff info.
I still do not know the phone no.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - Dynamic Dave
Radio 1 totally redundant since the demise of Mark & Lard.

Here, here. Gonna miss their double act. Oh to hear Lard's Animal Sanctuary, and Fat Harry White just one more time.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - Soupytwist
Their last show (bar the last few minutes) is available to listen on the Radio 1 website and if you had now of those nifty bits of software you could make a recording of it on your hard drive.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - SteveH42
Stuart Maconie?!?!? He's useless... Either give Richard Allinson the show or preferably get Noel back to radio full-time - it was superb when he was on for a short while.

Personally I like the idea of traffic reports, but I wonder if slightly more compact ones would not be better and maybe more often as well - sometimes seem to spend ages waiting for details when stuck in a queue.
no, no, no, no !
Edmonds was useless when he was on. Leave the drivetime slot to Maconie, the late night slot to Allinson, and never let Allinson go on holiday, because when he goes on holiday (as he is now ?), Matthew Wright fills in for him, and i'd rather listen to John Prescott

just 'cos I know what I'm saying doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about

D.J.Walker puffs HJ - No Do$h
For national radio I'll give Steve Wright, Mark Lamarr and Mr J "Wossie" Ross time on my radio anytime I'm in the car. When these guys aren't on the air it's R4 or one of several hundred CDs that do the rota into the car, mixed with RDS for traffic.

If I'm in the London area it's Virgin 105.8FM every time. My kind of music.
D.J.Walker puffs HJ - Mapmaker
Isn't RDS the magical thing that re-tunes your radio for you. Traffic is quite a separate thing, though similarly magical? (Discovering all these joys driving in my new Panasonic.)
RDS - Radio data System. It retunes your radio to the best signal if available, gives you the station identity name, breaks in with the local traffic news, can be set to break in with the latest news update. (It can also be used to give you scrolling information - like adverts.....)

TA - traffic announcements - i.e. you usually just get to hear the mumbling school leaver who reads the traffic news saying goodbye, then two minutes of a plug for some show on a regional station that your never going to listen to, then the radio returns to R2 just in time to hear Sally Traffic saying 'by for now'

I drive daily from Greater Manchester to Greater Manchester, and i'll get traffic announcements from leeds, stoke, even shropshire, but rarely from GMR. I think the principle of the system is sound, but the practice is lacking.

The most useful bit, if i can remember to turn it on, is the facility for the radio to record the last 4 minutes of announcements, so you can get in the car after your meeting or whatever and listen to them before you set off, so you can plan your route before it's too late

just 'cos I know what I'm saying doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about

D.J.Walker puffs HJ - hillman
One of my young friends once told me that middle age is when your narrow waist and broad mind change places. I've been there for a considerable time. RadioTwo music irritates me so much that I only tune in for the business news and then get back to Classic FM of RadioFour.

RDS is a pain because it cuts in at the wrong times e.g., when Pavirotti is singing.