renault clio1995 - no spark - mark495
Hi,
My partner had trouble starting her Renault Clio 1.4 Auto a few weeks ago So I popped to the local halfords and bought a new set of plugs and leads, which i fitted in and it then started absolutly fine till yesterday when it left her stranded in a tesco car park.
She called out the RAC who said there was no spark but managed to get it it going and suggested that the 'crank angle sensor' (which I must confess ive never heard of) may be on its way out and it would probably be a Renault dealer job to fix it.
Knowing the cost this would incur I am reluctant to give it to the dealers for this at the moment so I am trying to see about some of the cheaper things that might cause the problem.
My first thoughts are to replace the coil and run an injector cleaner incase its a blockage forming in the fuel lines.
Has anyone got any more suggestions I can try before I have to pay out?

Any tips would be appreciated
Mark
renault clio1995 - no spark - keo-the-dog
if it has no spark, injection cleaner isn't going to help. try a bit of research into this crank sensor as usually the rac man tends to have come across these things before and it's usually (not always mind - hence the research) the voice of experience .although my experience of renault electrics is limited i would look at the pick up sensor mounted on top of bell housing , triggers the ignition from the flywheel these can ,IIRC be adjusted and cleaned, i also dont remember it being that expensive to replace. but could be totally wrong as years of abuse take their toll on my memory.
cheers...keo.
renault clio1995 - no spark - Civic8
Injector cleaner isnt going to prevent a spark.coil would and can be intermittant.so I would go for that first and would have done before replacing plugs and leads.there may be nothing wrong with them.
If coil isnt the problem will need to look at crank sensor as mentioned.
renault clio1995 - no spark - Robin the Technician
Hi Mark,
This is a fairly common problem with this vehicle. My niece has the same car and her's gave trouble just like yours. Turned out to be the crank sensor. A simple job to replace and shouldn't cost the earth through a dealer.

Hope this helps

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...