Uninsured drivers - SR
I have noticed in a number of threads on this board that people would seem to be generally in favour of the view that one of the biggest problems on our roads is uninsured drivers, and that more action should be taken against them.

I totally agree, but I wonder if people would like to see the same lenient approach to them as is sometimes advocated by those who regard breaking the speed limit as acceptable.

Uninsured drivers could quite reasonably argue that not having insurance doesn't make them any more likely to have an accident - after all, what proportion of accidents have their cause attributed to "driver didn't have insurance".

Would it be acceptable for them to be allowed to be uninsured in most areas, as long as they didn't do it at defined accident blackspots? Would they be within their rights to demand that no action be taken against them except at such locations as have a record of fatal accients caused by people not having insurance (unlikely scenario)?

They could then argue that they should be given advance warning of where they might be caught, so that they can take another route. They could also claim that even if they're caught they should be given the opportunity to buy insurance on the spot, therefore avoiding prosecution, then cancel their insurance later and get their money back.

What about those who have had insurance in the past, but have only gone a couple of weeks without insurance - would this be OK? If so, would a couple of months - six months? I mean, how are the poor dears expected to look at a calendar every day to see if their policy has run out?

Finally, it would surely be only fair to impose a token penalty for the first few offences (maybe £60 and 3 penalty points) and only take severe action against them if they get caught 4 times. It would also be an option to send them on a course to teach them how to apply for insurance if they find the whole concept too difficult, and this way they could avoid penalty points.

Should they be given as many get-outs, excuses and ways of avoiding responsibility as those who break the speed limit?

If not, why not? After all, no-one ever heard of "no insurance kills"!

Uninsured drivers - patently
Depends why they are insured.

I know of a driver who moved house 7 months before renewal and set up a 6 month postal redirection. He forgot to tell the insurer about the move. No renewal reminder arrived at his new house and he let is lapse. It came to light after a minor accident and he was prosecuted. He put his hands up and explained all to the Court. He was given a small fine and (IIRC) the min no. of points. He also had to pay for the damage to the other car.

On the other hand, there is the picture painted of the driver who has no intention of insuring. He buys a banger which is unroadworthy, makes sure that DVLA cannot trace him, has no MOT tax or insurance. Find a large book and throw it at him, I say.

The difference is in the intent of the driver and the degree to which his infringement is deliberate/reckless etc. So match the penalty to the offence.

Speed enforcement should be the same, I say. The driver who drifts over the limit on a safe road should be warned, not treated as if they have just knifed someone. The driver who goes past a marked primary school at 45 is another candidate for the aforementioned book.

The issue of prior warning of cameras is a completely different one, with respect. Cameras are there to make dangerous bits of road safer. If the drivers don't know they are there, how do they know that the bit of road is dangerous? How are they made safer by a flash of bright light and a NIP after they pass the blackspot?
Uninsured drivers - Robbie
*Uninsured drivers could quite reasonably argue that not having insurance doesn't make them any more likely to have an accident - after all, what proportion of accidents have their cause attributed to "driver didn't have insurance".*

I'm not sure that's a good argument, and there is a lot of evidence to suggest that the "typical" uninsured driver has a poor driving record, and is also likely to have a criminal record.

Although it may not appear on accident statistics as caused by "not having insurance," the character and personality of such a driver is likely to influence his driving habits, and thus precipitate an accident.
Uninsured drivers - Dwight Van Driver
Conversley Robbie, the driver who knows he is uninsured takes that bit more care for he doesn't want to be caught. Bit like driving a car with duff brakes. Aren't they the better driver?

The law is explicit in both speeding and no insurance. Commit the offence and you get punished.

"Fifty lashes Mr Christian."
"But Sir, the man is dead"
"Carry out my orders."

DVD
I'm not sure I would agree with that conjecture. The uninsured driver is unlikely to have a car in reasonable condition, and couldn't care less about damaging it. If he has an accident he's likely to leg it, as the car won't be registered to him he won't get caught, unless PC Plod is at hand, which is most unlikely. Cameras are no use.
Uninsured drivers - NowWheels
I totally agree, but I wonder if people would like to
see the same lenient approach to them as is sometimes advocated
by those who regard breaking the speed limit as acceptable.

very nicely argued :)

There can be plenty of extenuating circumstances offered fir driving uninsured. One which horrified me was from someone living in an area which had a riot a few years ago, with lots of damage caused -- it seems that insurers have colluded and premiums there seem to be about twice the level of surrounding areas, so a 45yo woman with a clean licence has to pay about £2000 a year w/o NCD for third-party cover on a Micra. Basically, poor people are asked to pay much more for insurance than richer folks.

That sort of rip-off seems to me to be as good a reason for driving uninsured as many of the excuses offered for speeding.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see both strongly enforced -- but the comparison is interesting in what it reveals about people's attitudes to the enforcement of the things which affcect them v. the the things which affect others.
Uninsured drivers - legacylad
Discussion with a friend of mine recently who had the misfortune to have an uninsured driver, and untaxed vehicle, run into rear of his car whilst stopped at a zebra crossing.The driver of said vehicle got out and ran, and remains untraced.

Surely in these hitech days, a barcode, fixed to windscreen, and only valid for the chassis number so no use to opportune thieves, would allow a hand held scanner to confirm insurance.If not, a private company, tendered via the Govt, could tow away and keep the vehicle for a period of time, prior to the owner being fined, providing evidence of insurance, and paying a % of the vehicle value (Glass's price) to the towing company, before being returned.If not claimed, or owner traced, vehicle to be scrapped or auctioned.

Admittedly VERY simplistic, but the basis for reducing uninsured vehicles on our roads, and reducing our insurance payments.
Uninsured drivers - Mapmaker
don't like the idea of fines linked to vehicle value. This means that rich City workers who drive old bangers don't get fined as much as they ought to, and silly students who borrow lots of money to run much more expensive cars than they should get stuffed.

Don't they have something like this in Iceland (?) where speeding fines are related to salary?

If it's wrong, it's as wrong in a beat up 123 as in a new 5.
Uninsured drivers - Mark (RLBS)
All uninsured cars should be crushed. No exceptions. I don't care how reasonable the excuse.

It is your responsibility to make sure your car is insured, whether or nto you have moved home.

Removing the driving licence should also be done, but until that is linked to your ability to tax or insure a car that will never have the effect it should.
Uninsured drivers - Mapmaker
I am the last person to be an Eco warrior, but I am afraid, Mark, that the prospect of crushing a lovely car just because it is uninsured is just too much! Confiscated & sold to benefit the public purse (or better still the uninsured drivers' pot that our insurers maintain), but not crushed.

There is an inordinate amount of energy put into creating cars; far too much to fritter away like that!
All uninsured cars should be crushed. No exceptions. I don't care
how reasonable the excuse.
It is your responsibility to make sure your car is insured,
whether or nto you have moved home.

Harsh, but I can see your reasoning -- insurance is very important. Presumably you would also want the same punishment for speeding?
>>Presumably you would also want the same punishment for speeding?

Why ?
>>Presumably you would also want the same punishment for speeding?
Why ?

because if you have an accident while uninsured, the other person gets no compensation unless a call is made on whatever the fund is that helps in these circumstances.

If you have an accident while speeding, you greatly increase the risk of causing death or serious injury to someone (hit at 20mph, most pedestrians survive, but at 40mph few survice).

Neither is a problem unless there is accident, both cause serious problems if there is. So surely the smae penalties in each case?
Slightly ridiculous, don't you think ?

Any accident where you hit someone is going to be more serious the faster you are travelling. However, whilst that is true, speed may or may not have anything to do with the cause of the accident.

It would be equally sensible to say that if everybody drove at 5mph there would not only be virtually no deaths, I doubt if there would even be any accidents.

But, on reflection, that might be ridiculous. In which case, why don't we attack the causes of the accidents.
Don't they have something like this in Iceland (?) where speeding
fines are related to salary?

mapamker, if you recall they tried that here in the early 90s, where the fines imposed by courts were related to salary (it didn't apply to fixed penalties). It provoked howls of outrage from the middle classes, who disliked having to pay out the same proportion of their income as poorer people had to pay -- so it was rapidly abandoned.

Interesting idea, though I can't see it happening: it might make people much more interested in technological aids to stay within the speed limits.

If the person on £100,000 a year had to pay out £500 for a speeding ticket, it would make sense to spend less on a gadget to stay legal in the first place!
Uninsured drivers - Dwight Van Driver
You may be interested to know Mark that death does occur at very low speed.

The Locomotive (red Flag) Act 1865 imposed the first speed limits which were 2 mph urban and 4 mph rural. This was later amended in 1895 to 14 mph. Whilst this was in force and a speed of 40 mph a fantasy on 25th February 1899 came the first recorded fatal road accident at Harrow on the Hill.

...... there again you might not be interested.

DVD
Uninsured drivers - Chad.R
The Locomotive (red Flag) Act 1865 imposed the first speed limits which were 2 mph urban and 4 mph rural. This was later amended in 1895 to 14 mph. Whilst this was in force and a speed of 40 mph a fantasy on 25th February 1899 came the first recorded fatal road accident at Harrow on the Hill.

Were brakes only added to cars in 1900? :-)

Chad.
Uninsured drivers - Vin {P}
"It provoked howls of outrage from the middle classes, who disliked having to pay out the same proportion of their income as poorer people had to pay"

Isn't it easy to make the middle classes (majority = law abiding and intelligent) sound like rabid dogs?

By EXACTLY the same logic as income related fines: If I commit an offence whereby I am sent to jail, I could easily argue that a week in jail would have a greater effect on my life than a month to a habitual offender, so I should get a shorter jail sentence. I should stress I'm not arguing this, just pointing out the fatuousness of the original argument.

I argue that a £100 offence is a £100 offence for all. An offence meriting a week in jail is an offence meriting a week in jail for all.

V
"It provoked howls of outrage from the middle classes, who disliked
having to pay out the same proportion of their income as
poorer people had to pay"
Isn't it easy to make the middle classes (majority = law
abiding and intelligent) sound like rabid dogs?

I didn't actually advocate this idea: it was suggested by mapmaker, and I was just pointing out what happened when it was tried here.

In any case, I doubt that insulting the middle classes was the intention of the Conservative govt which introduced the system of income-related fines and then had to back down when faced with the outcry!

As I understand it, their logic was that fines are suppose to both punish and deter, and that flat-rate fines were not much of a deterrent or punishment to those who could easily afford the fine.
By EXACTLY the same logic as income related fines: If I
commit an offence whereby I am sent to jail, I could
easily argue that a week in jail would have a greater
effect on my life than a month to a habitual offender,
so I should get a shorter jail sentence. I should
stress I'm not arguing this, just pointing out the fatuousness of
the original argument.

Actually, that's pretty much what happens. First time offenders get lighter sentences, and pre-sentencing reports are prepared so that courts can consider the impact of a sentence.
Uninsured drivers - volvoman
Totally agree SR. Given all the stuff in the media and in places like this I really can't understand how serial speeders can blame anyone other than themselves when they're caught. It really isn't that difficult to observe the speed limit but if you don't like it then campaign to get it changed and let democracy do its job.
Uninsured drivers - superstyler
lets all chill! *if not insured prob have criminal record* hmmmmmmm not sure how that was worked out!.
i dont care if the next man is drunk and traveling at 100 mph in an uninsured car! . it is just another of lifes trivial problems. we must relax, as a nation.
our roads are "up tight" bad drivers come in all shapes, insured or not,
try this...... drive where your going, relax and dont let the silly people get to you. your journeys will be so much more pleasant................ relax
Uninsured drivers - matt35 {P}
The understanding of democracy or civilisation or whatever we percieve it to be, is that we must have certain standards of common behaviour?

This allows people to go through life with the minimum of worry about events which are beyond their control, such as divorce, unemployment, problems with family, bereavement, or health etc.

Law, while it often mis-interpreted - for example by the idiot magistrate in Wales who let a plonker off with a repeat fine for sitting still in a court for 30 minuteslast week - is generally the consensus of the acceptance, by the majority, of common standards of behaviour.

Our laws include taxing and insuring cars - we are a democracy...if we do not agree, we have the right to chose our representatives in Parliament and make our voices heard.

Don't want to live by democratic law? It is not only the cars that should be crushed...it is also the facility to reproduce children who might follow the same patterns.

Matt35.
Uninsured drivers - GrumpyOldGit
It is not only the cars that should be crushed...it is also the facility to reproduce children who might follow the same patterns.
Matt35.

Well said sir! Crushed nuts anyone?
lets all chill! *if not insured prob have criminal record* hmmmmmmm
not sure how that was worked out!.

Hmmmmmmm, worked out by criminal statistics.

Quote:"The system was piloted for six months in nine police forces. Following the success of the pilot, it will now be rolled out to 23 forces in England and Wales. Evidence from the ANPR trials has borne out police experience of strong links between road traffic offences and more serious crime."

www.cjsonline.org/news/2003/may/driving_crime_off_...l

Uninsured drivers - Ben79
Having been hit by an uninsured driver before, if someone was to bump into me again, I would probably insist on travelling with that person to view his documents, or involve the police.

If he was uninsured, I'd probably turn violent (which is out of character for me).
Uninsured drivers - SR
Mark,

"Slightly ridiculous, don't you think ?"

followed by....

"It would be equally sensible to say that if everybody drove at 5mph there would not only be virtually no deaths, I doubt if there would even be any accidents."

Now that IS slightly ridiculous. How about a bit of balance and perspective? You might as well say that if no-one drove anywhere they could never be hit by an uninsured driver!

When was the last time the consequences of an accident were made worse by the driver not being insured?

">>Presumably you would also want the same punishment for speeding?

Why ?"

Why not? Why trivialise speeding and demonise lack of insurance?

Patently,

"Cameras are there to make dangerous bits of road safer. If the drivers don't know they are there, how do they know that the bit of road is dangerous?"

WRONG - warning signs, road markings, surface changes, environmental indications and lowered speed limits are there to make dangerous bits of road safer. THAT's how drivers know it's dangerous. Cameras are there to deter and punish those who choose to ignore these warnings.
>"Slightly ridiculous, don't you think ?"
>followed by....
>"It would be equally sensible to say...

>>Now that IS slightly ridiculous

I think you missed the point. I said that they were equally sensible - i.e. absolutely not at all.

>>Why not? Why trivialise speeding and demonise lack of insurance?

I wasn't doing either - but they are not at the same level of magnitude. Excluding the nutter speeders, there is no way that driving at 75 in a 70, all other things being equal, is as serious as driving uninsured.
Uninsured drivers - David Horn
Today, I started looking around for insurance as mine runs out in early May, and I want to move from being a named driver on my Dad's policy to my own. My current insurance company has given me 1 year's NCB, and I'm 18, having been driving for just over a year. In that time I've never had an accident, or come close. I've never even scratched the car.

The car is an S-reg Citroen Xsara 1.9TD. I've tried 6 insurance companies so far - 2 quoted just under £3000 (slightly less than what I paid for the car) and the other 4 just said point blank that they wouldn't insure me.

Now, in my opinion this is a fairly good justification for driving around uninsured. While I know that there are some idiots around my age who can't drive and have no care over how they drive, but I'm sick of being tarred with the same brush as them.

Likewise, I detest people who drive around with no tax or MOT or insurance because they don't care and would never have had it anyway.

What about the people who just never thought that they'd be paying more than the value of their car just to insure it? Is it really surprising that lack of insurance is growing so quickly?

As it is, I'm going to be continuing on my dad's policy for some time to come. On the other hand, I'm completely in favour for the scanner and bar code. Even better, why not affix the scanner to petrol pumps so you can't fill up without scanning your car? With broadband, checking against a central database should be quick and cheap.
Uninsured drivers - Andrew-T
David - I sympathise with your position. My daughters went through the process about 15 years ago. I have to say that you are lucky to be able to spend £3K on a car (or was it someone else?). It will be cheaper to tag on to a parent's insurance for some while yet, but in the end you have to bite the bullet and go it alone, just to build up some no-claims discount for yourself. Probably wise to drive on the cheap for a few years to get through your most accident-prone period.

It may be that insurers realise that many novice drivers use their parents' coat-tails like this, and load those that don't heavily, to compensate. But you can't blame them for basing rates on accident and claim statistics. To them you are an unknown of a certain age, and it's no good saying 'I'm an unusually safe driver, please be kind to me'.
Uninsured drivers - patently
"Cameras are there to make dangerous bits of road safer. If
the drivers don't know they are there, how do they know
that the bit of road is dangerous?"
WRONG - warning signs, road markings, surface changes, environmental indications and
lowered speed limits are there to make dangerous bits of road
safer. THAT's how drivers know it's dangerous. Cameras are there
to deter and punish those who choose to ignore these warnings.

RIGHT - Cameras are part of that pattern of safety markings. They are part of the information presented to the driver to warn her/him.

Exactly how does a NIP in the post a few days later "deter" me at this bend, here, now?

Exactly how does a NIP in the post lessen the effect of an accident at this bend, here, now?

Simple - it doesn't. So if a camera is hidden then it only makes the regular users safer. They, of course, are the ones who know it is a blackspot. They are the ones who least need the warning.

The same logic that allows you to hide speed cameras allows you to withdraw bobbies from the beat, just beef up CID services to compensate. So long as the total rate of undetected muggings & rapes declines then that's ok, then? OK there were more violent incidents in total but we caught more of the offenders so that's ok? I think not.
Uninsured drivers - SR
Can't agree, patently - cameras should not be necessary with all the other warnings present. Why should taxpayers have to spend another £20,000 just because some people won't slow down.

"Exactly how does a NIP in the post a few days later "deter" me at this bend, here, now?

Exactly how does a NIP in the post lessen the effect of an accident at this bend, here, now?"

It doesn't - exactly my point. It's not a warning, it's punishment for breaking the law. But if you couldn't be so secure in the knowledge that there wasn't a camera there, you might just be tempted to slow down.

By your own arguments, someone breaking the speed limit doesn't automatically cause an accident - someone mugging someone DOES result in a mugging, so prevention is more important. The deterrent should be the knowledge that there may be cameras somewhere, just like the deterrent for muggers should be that there may be a copper round the corner.

Don't think bringing rapes into the debate adds anything.
Uninsured drivers - SR
How does going faster round that bend lessen the effect of an accident, here, now? How will higher speeds in the hands of some of the idiots on our roads make us all safer, anywhere, anytime?

And to get back to the original topic, how does a driver being uninsured make that bend more dangerous?
Uninsured drivers - OldPeculiar
And to get back to the original topic, how does a
driver being uninsured make that bend more dangerous?

Because that uninsured driver is also untaxed and unregistered ensuring that he will not recive an NIP if a camera happens to be just round said bend
Uninsured drivers - SR
.....which still doesn't make the bend any more dangerous.
Uninsured drivers - AngryJonny
Two points here I think...

Firstly, many drivers only have insurance because it's a legal requirement, and would quite happily risk it without otherwise. Drivers who still don't have insurance are unlikely to fulfill other legal requirements, such as a valid MOT - they can't get a tax disc anyway can they. I would personally rather have a well-maintained Audi come round a corner at me doing 80, than a beaten-up Pug 309 with bald tyres and defective brakes doing 60.

Secondly, accidents happen. And I want to know that the person who's going to run into the back of me while I'm waiting to turn right will have the ability to pay for the rebuild required on the back of my car.
Uninsured drivers - SR
"I would personally rather have a well-maintained Audi come round a corner at me doing 80, than a beaten-up Pug 309 with bald tyres and defective brakes doing 60"

Agreed - but I'd still rather have the Audi at 60 instead of either option, and whether the Pug is insured or not makes no difference.

And wouldn't you rather the person ran into the back of you at 40 than at 60?
Uninsured drivers - BazzaBear {P}
You don't see a benefit to the person crashing into you being insured? Like you perhaps seeing some money to repair the damage to the car and possibly yourself?
Uninsured drivers - AngryJonny
Agreed - but I'd still rather have the Audi at 60 instead
of either option, and whether the Pug is insured or not
makes no difference.

But if the Pug is insured, it's also more likely to be MOTd and roadworthy. Unless you're talking about an insured but unroadworthy Pug, in which case it makes a big difference when I'm trying to get my own car sorted out, or negotiate a claim for my injuries.
And wouldn't you rather the person ran into the back of
you at 40 than at 60?

Yes, I would. But then I'd also prefer him to concentrate on where he's going rather than looking in his rear-view to see if the last Gatso flashed at him.
Uninsured drivers - madf
Any one who has to look in a mirror to see if the last Gatso has flashed at him : should not be driving as he/she must be half blind: the flash can be easily seen...the reflection in the mirror even when you are looking straight ahead is quite bright.

Uninsured drivers? Lose their cars . full stop.
Frequent speeders - lose cars .

Some people don't want to adhere to laws. So laws must operate to ensure they have no choice in the matter..

madf

Uninsured drivers - BrianW
Maybe I am alone in not trusting Gatscos.
Even if I know that I am within the limit I tend to look back in case someone behind or going the other way has set it off in case I need to note the time, date and circumstances.
So they are distracting just by their presence.
I need a clean license and no mindless Metal Mickey is going to deprive me of that if I can help it.
Uninsured drivers - OldPeculiar
SR:

The fact that the uninsured driver will not recive an NIP means that he can speed with impunity safe in the knowledge that the only way he can be caught is if an actual policeman is around. Having shown complete disregard for one very important law of the road how much regard do you think he'll show for the others?

You seem to be suggesting that driving without insurance is a crime of the same magnitude as speeding, kind of an 'all criminals are equal' deal. Do you consider all traffic offences to be equal? Should drink driving be treated the same i.e. "Regardless of whether you speed, don't have insurance, drive whilst drunk, have a faulty brake light you're a criminal full stop"?
Uninsured drivers - SR
BazzaBear/OldP,

I am not suggesting driving without insurance is a crime of the same magnitude as speeding (don't know where you got that idea, OP, so plese don't put words into my mouth), I'm questioning why some people feel that uninsured drivers should be hammered (huge fines, cars confiscated, etc.) while those who break the speed limit should be given token penalties, if any.

I think from the viewpoint of danger caused to others that driving without insurance is not necessarily at the top of the scale, and I would have thought if anything an uninsured driver might be less likely to speed in order to avoid drawing attention to himself. It would be dangerous to assume that disregard for one law means disregard for others - after all, those who break the speed limit don't necessarily go on to drive without insurance, do they?
Uninsured drivers - Bromptonaut
Surely it's a red herring to link insurance directly with safety like speeding or Construction and USe Offences, though I accept the notion that an uninisured driver may well disregard other laws.

The point of insurance is to protect third parties in the event of the driver's stupidity or misjudgement. The real issue is personal injury, not some petty damage to a replaceable car. While the MIB provides a backstop it is a limited scheme with exclusions and my expereince with claimants was that they had a harder time than would other wise be the case.

The magnitude of sentence takes account of a failure to accept a basic responsibility to your fellow citizens. If you disagree with the principle of insurance the Motor Insurance Act already provides a get out; you lodge a security bond in court. The amount demanded will run to millions, but you will be paid the interest. Actually worthwhile for very big fleets IIRC.