NEW GTX oil ? - henry k

GTX oil for high mileage - New? - henry k Thu 1 Apr 04 20:56

"Castrol High Mileage GTX. NEW

15-40 API SL ACEA A2 / B2
For engines over 75 K miles
Contains seal conditioners to preserve the elasticity of engine seals, helping control oil leaks IN the engine. Damaged seals can cause the engine to burn more oil, increasing exhaust emissions"

Any thoughts on this version I have not seen before?

I have always used GTX, at £10, for older engines at 5K intervals in the old Sierra.

Any real advantages to using this new oil at £14
or I could use Wilko 15/40 at £7.99
Wilko also do an oil for older engines at £2.99 so I could change it even more frequently.

Apart from what I think is valve stem seals leaking again, I am inclinded to stay with the old GTX for the old wagon even though I suspect it will be be disposed of soon.

NEW GTX oil ? - Greg R
In my opinion, this is simply a gimmick. It is a lot to pay considering it does so little. It is better to have more oil changes than just to use this new oil that castrol produce.

And the claim that damaged seals can cause the engine to burn more oil isn't completely correct. Damaged seals simply leak oil, not leak oil.

Stay with the basic GTX. At the end of the day, oil is oil. As long as the specification is good, any oil would be o.k.

It is odd though that so many people use castrol oils. The branding really does make it very popular. My personal choice of oil would be comma or millers, because the specification is as good as castrol and it is cheaper than castrol or mobil oils.
NEW GTX oil ? - MarkSmith
Hi Greg,

Old hardened valve stem oil seals cause oil to leak (indeed) past them, into the combustion chambers where it gets burnt.

Cheers,
Mark