Diesel Lamborghini under development! - arnold2
www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=...9

Diesel comes of age ?!

"powered by a highly modified version of the V10 diesel used by fellow Volkswagen Group brand in the Touareg off-roader. Insiders say that the new engine has been dyno-tested to 590bhp and an incredible 960lb ft of torque, which is generated at just 1800rpm."
Diesel Lamborghini under development! - Vin {P}
And today's date is?
Diesel Lamborghini under development! - pugdriver
...and the test drivers name was

ROLF PIOLA!!!

Diesel Lamborghini under development! - A Dent{P}
01/04/04 again?
Diesel Lamborghini under development! - BazzaBear {P}
Surely Lambo use loads of diesel engines anyway, in their tractors?
:-))))
Diesel Lamborghini under development! - tunacat
Thing is, they could probably do it (aren't BMW now getting 270+ hp from the 3.0 litre TD to go in the 535 in road-tune?).

And I'd like to SEE them do it!

Diesel Lamborghini under development! - SjB {P}
A nice joke, but it does beg the question "How long before somebody really does release a supercar, in ever sense of the expression, that is diesel powered?" To have a diesel powered car that leaves most petrol engined supercars for dust could be quite a PR coup, for whoever gets there first.

When I was a kid, I'd pour scorn on anyone with a tractor engine under the bonnet, but such progress has been made that surely this isn't beyond the bounds of possibility?
Diesel Lamborghini under development! - No Do$h
I\'ll just sit here drumming my fingers and biting my tongue, shall I?

No Dosh
mailto:bloke_who_drives_a_performance_diesel@it\'s_not_a_tractor.com

ps. As it\'s past 12:00 I\'ve locked the other \"fool\" thread but this one gets a stay of execution for now.
didn't Peugeot have a concept a while back for one ?
Diesel Lamborghini under development! - madf
"When I was a kid, I'd pour scorn on anyone with a tractor engine under the bonnet, but such progress has been made that surely this isn't beyond the bounds of possibility?"

Wot about the Triumph TR2 and TR3 and TR4 all powered by Tractor engines?

:-)))

madf

Diesel Lamborghini under development! - SjB {P}
"Wot about the Triumph TR2 and TR3 and TR4 all powered by Tractor engines?"

True, and I don't like them either, madf, but as for the Hillman Imp and derivatives, powered by a Coventry Climax firepump engine, that's another story.

An uncle had the Sunbeam Stiletto two door coupe variant, which made a big impression on me as a kid. When I went to the Prescott hillclimb for the first time, and saw these things singing their hearts out to stratospheric RPM, I was smitten. Prompted by this thread, I just took a nostalgic peek at www.imps4ever.info/family/index.html. Happy memories.
Diesel Lamborghini under development! - trancer
Wouldn't that diesel powered Opel Speedster/VX 220 qualify as a diesel powered sportscar?. I know it wasn't a regular production car, being built to break some kind of distance/speed/MPG record...which it handily did.
Diesel Lamborghini under development! - trancer
I just had to go looking for it.

"During initial testing the 112 hp concept car reached a maximum speed of more than 155 mph while fuel consumption on the combined cycle was an incredible 113 mpg."

www.rsportscars.com/foto/04/ecospeedster02_01.jpg