A21 - reduced from dual to single cway - cryhavock
The A21 goes from London to Hastings and is a nice dual carriageway from the M25 to Tunbridge Wells or thereabouts, after which it has a short stretch of single, then a short stretch of dual and then it more or less becomes a cattle-track all the way to Hastings. The sad state of this road (and the not very good railway line to Hastings) are often cited as the major reasons for Hastings' state of decline, but little is being done, partly for environmental reasons no doubt.

There are some good bits, and a new bypass being built around Lamberhurst, but most of it is very bad and in addition, one of the most dangerous roads in Britain (according to the AA).

For about a mile north of a crossroads at Flimwell, the road is a dual carriageway, but it has two rather dangerous crossings where you can turn right across the other carriageway into a side road. Sadly, at least one of these crossings is badly situated, resulting in several fatal accidents, most recently one in February. It is hard to see the oncoming traffic because of the curvature and elevation of the road.

So, what do you think the solution is? The solution, according to the powers that be (look it up on the Highways Authority website), is: let's remove one of the carriageways!

Yes, you got that right: they are turning this one little stretch of relief from sitting behind a slow lorry into a single carriageway. Not realigning the junction, not banning the right turn, nothing sensible.

Now although many accidents have happened on the dual carriageway, even more accidents happen south of the crossroads, on the single carriageway. So now we will have one long frustrating single carriageway where it is very hard to overtake anywhere. How, precisely, is this going to help the accident rate? Perhaps someone can explain...
A21 - reduced from dual to single cway - Mikey Jay
I know just how you feel. I even know the route you are talking about. Don't expect any sympathetic or intelligent solutions from the authorities. They forget it is our hard earned cash they are spending and they should remember that they are public servants.They should be providing better roads for us, the systamatically swindled members of the public. Speeding is a problem at Flimwell. Closing one of the cariageways sounds completley barmy to me. What do you expect from the powers that be? It will cause even more hold ups, and tired and frustrated drivers. BTW have you noticed that electronic 30mph limit sign going the other way on the A21. Is that at Sandhurst? I've only seen one of the signs in France. I think we need to use electronic signs more. The 30mph flashing sign is a very good reminder for people to slow down.
A21 - reduced from dual to single cway - No Do$h
They forget it is our hard earned cash
they are spending and they should remember that they are public
servants.They should be providing better roads for us, the systamatically swindled
members of the public.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, neatly sums up the root of all that is wrong with motoring in this country.

Thank you MJ.

ND
A21 - reduced from dual to single cway - Civic8
I tend to agree I used it a lot a few years ago.after all the roadworks which did cause a bit of grief I tend to go towards places like herne bay and the like now far easier to get to and faster.had known it to take up to hour quarter/hour half to get to Hastings dont bother now.In good traffic can get to Herne bay in 50 mins at speed limit.