Sheared tube but what is it? Astra 1.7TD - KevDGill
Morning all.

I was having a dig in my engine last night (looking into making a modified alternator bracket) when I came across a very flexible black tube, abut 8mm diameter, which appears to have been sheared off at a sharpish angle. Tracing it back it comes from the front right hand end of the engine block (near ish to the end glow plug) and runs (I think) to a small connector on the end of the inlet manifold (kind of a T shape - comes out, has one weird nipple thing on the end and a threaded/ribbed connector pointing downwards - there was a bit of tube stuck on the downwards bit). When I rubbed my (gloved) hand on either the connector or the cut end of the tube I got oil all over my gloves, but it's far from flowing out.

My questions - first off what is this tube and how important is is? Should I worry about driving with it in this state? It must be remembered here that I don't know when this happened and the car is running fine. The haynes manual mentions a tube to a vacuum switch, but doesn't say what this switch is for or where to find it - could that be this tube?

My car often continues to run after I switch off the ignition. Usually it stops itself after a few seconds but there have been times when I've removed the key and it just wouldn't stop and I've had to stall it. I assumed my stop-solenoid was knackered, but could that symptom be anything to do with this problem?

Cheers for any help - I'm only slightly worried but it would be nice to know what the long term effects could be - if any.

-- Kev
Sheared tube but what is it? Astra 1.7TD - DL
How old is the car, Kev?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Oh yeah I knew there was something I couldn't fit in the subject that I wanted to add. It's a 1997-P reg Van (LS) with the 17DTL (Low Pressure Turbo) GM engine.

-- Kev
I would say it was *probably* something to do with the EGR system - which may well have been diconnected...those EGR valves are expensive....it's cheaper to blank them off if they give trouble.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Oh ok then. So what am I losing by having the EGR valve disconnected (if it is) and should I fix it? I should emphasise that both the end of the tube and the connector thing on the inlet manifold appear to be open i.e. not blanked off, and the EGR valve is (obviously) still in place (that's the round thing above the inlet manifold right?)

Would I get oily gunk out of a tube related to that? I spose it could be greasy exhaust residues and what have you....

-- Kev
Have you got a digital camera Kev?
--
Hehe sadly not - apart from a mickey mouse phone attachment. Every other sort of camera, just not a digital. I'll see if I can borrow one then I'll put a pic or two where you can see them.

-- Kev
Sheared tube but what is it? Astra 1.7TD - sierraman
Sounds like a breather pipe to me,if it was vacuum supply to the E.G.R.it would have to connect to the vacuum pump,also you would have no servo for the brakes if the vacuum circuit was open to atmosphere.