Annoying & disappearing ads - Mapmaker
Mini Cooper ad. This appears for a fraction of a second, and then goes away. Now I don't want one, but I probably would click on it if it ever appeared.

Landrover ad. No way of getting rid of it until it decides to go of its own accord. Very annoying indeed!
Annoying & disappearing ads - No Do$h
Agree wholeheartedly. Am typing this through the Landrover ad... Oooh, no I'm not, it's gone.

The cooper one does a vanishing act on me as well, but sits there, open on my taskbar. Very strange.

Can only suggest that everyone clicks on the LR one to have a look at what they're offering. Once enough clickthroughs have taken place, the ad should be swept from the board.

Not perfect, but in the absence of his lord and master, best I can offer for now.
Annoying & disappearing ads - terryb
Can only suggest that everyone clicks on the LR one to
have a look at what they're offering. Once enough clickthroughs
have taken place, the ad should be swept from the board.
Not perfect, but in the absence of his lord and master,
best I can offer for now.

ND

No it doesn't. I currently have 3 open windows for the ad and it still keeps coming up.

Terry

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"
Make that 4.

I'm off till it's consigned to the great "recycle bin" in the sky.
Terry

Annoying & disappearing ads - THe Growler
Drives you nuts (no pun).
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Matt
Is it just me or does anybody else find the "uncloseable" Landrover advert that pops up every minute or so extremely irritating?

I work in Paris and very much enjoy this forum as it keeps me in touch with British motoring news. I also fully understand the need for advertising and have become used to being bombarded with it on this site but I think this particular advert may be a step too far (one must wait 5-10 secs for the pop up to pop down again) and is certainly ruining my enjoyment of this excellent site.

What do others think?

Landrover Pop Up Advert - terryb
Matt

It's not just you. This is the most annoying thing I've come across recently and because it's a "flash" thing it gets round popup blockers. It makes the site unreadable while it's in yer face.

I'm, already on record as saying I'd be prepared to pay for using this site, so I'm not just a professional whinger.

Terry

Landrover Pop Up Advert - Phil G
I think there are too much, particularly the flash ads.

That's why I have Mozilla Firefox ( www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ) with the Flash-Click-To-View extension installed. I have to click on flash ads/movies for them to run or I just see a white box. No more intrusive ads.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - volvoman
See No Dosh's reply in MapMaker's annoying ad. thread.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Robbie
I'm using Avant Browser, and by clicking on an icon at the top labelled "Allow Flash Animations" I have managed to stop it.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Mark (RLBS)
The advert is ridiculous.

Install a pop-up blocker, I have.

If you want pointers/help, then let me know here.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - BrianW
Help !

(Pretty please)
Go to www.google.co.uk

Click on "more" which is just above the search box

scroll down to "Google Toolbar" and click on it.

This will install the google toolbar which is a very simple and fast thing to do.

It will then block 99% of pop-ups and give you a google search box into the bargain.

It certainly solves my problem completely.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - BrianW
I am a bit wary about that as the following came from a computer professional on another site:

GOOGLES TOOLBAR IS SPYWARE! With the advanced features enabled, Google's free toolbar for Explorer phones home with every page you surf, and yes, it reads your cookie too. Their privacy policy confesses this, but that's only because Alexa lost a class-action lawsuit when their toolbar did the same thing, and their privacy policy failed to explain this. Worse yet, Google's toolbar updates to new versions quietly, and without asking. This means that if you have the toolbar installed, Google essentially has complete access to your hard disk every time you connect to Google (which is many times a day). Most software vendors, and even Microsoft, ask if you'd like an updated version. But not Google. Any software that updates automatically presents a massive security risk.

Security Risks

The auto-update mechanism provides a new route for the introduction of malicious programs, which can be used to spy on the user. Malicious programs can download files, read the screen, monitor the keyboard, even listen through a microphone if one is connected.

Rather than a bona-fide update, the auto-update feature could be used to send programs with undesired features. The activity of these updaters would not be detected by firewall tools, as they are expected to be periodically checking for updates and downloading them. Further, the most careful reverse-engineering of the updater would not reveal anything unexpected.

A third party could intercept the requests for updates and send a malicious program instead. This can be accomplished with a DNS hack, which would cause update requests to be sent to a different server. It would have to exploit some weakness in the communications protocol used for updating. These update protocols are proprietary, and therefore not open for peer security auditing. (As an example, a third party could trick the program into installing an older update which would appear valid, yet reintroduce a security hole that could be exploited.)

The software company could send any program that they choose. We are to trust that the company would not send anything that we would object to. However, various companies have violated this trust, for example to spy on the browsing habits of the customer for marketing purposes, or to remove controversial features.

Miscellaneous Risks

Programs that download and display advertisements could be used as a point of entry by the company. The advertising program on the PC could be triggered in a pre-arranged way to download an "update" instead of an advertisement.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Baskerville
Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox browsers both do pop-up blocking. Mozilla 1.6 allows you to search Google (or any other search engine you choose) using the normal address bar, or by highlighting text on a page, rightclicking and selecting "search the web." Firefox has its own version of the Googlebar available from Mozilla, or if you just want to search Google without the extra features, its own Google search box built in. Both are far superior to IE in my experience and don't have the security issues of either IE or the Googlebar.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - NowWheels
Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox browsers both do pop-up blocking.

So does Opera -- www.opera.com

Personally, I reckon Opera is much much easier to use than Mozilla. I like Mozilla, but I find it too frustrating not to be able to open a new browser tab in the background

However, both Mozilla and Opera are miles easier to use than Internet Exploder, as well being lots faster and more secure.
>I like Mozilla, but I find it too frustrating not to be able to open a new browser tab in the background

Excuse me? Point at a link and right click to get a menu. Use the mouse to choose from: Open Link In New Window, Open Link in New Tab, or one of ten other features. Couldn't be easier, surely?
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Welliesorter
>I like Mozilla, but I find it too frustrating not to
be able to open a new browser tab in the background
Excuse me? Point at a link and right click to get
a menu. Use the mouse to choose from: Open Link In
New Window, Open Link in New Tab, or one of ten
other features. Couldn't be easier, surely?

This is actually something you set yourself. Certainly the default in Mozilla wasn't originally to load the new tab in the bacground. I can't remember whether that's changed.

In Mozilla proper, go to Edit - Preferences - Navigator - Tabbed Browsing and tick the box that says 'Load Links in the background'. In Mozilla Firefox, the option is under Tools - Options - Advanced.

In both browsers a quick way of opening a new tab is to use CTRL-T.

I'd agree with Phil G's advice to use Flash-Click-To-View in Firefox. Most of the annoying ads use Flash and only a few (mostly badly designed) web sites depend on it. You can still view these by clicking on the empty boxes that appear.
>I like Mozilla, but I find it too frustrating not to
be able to open a new browser tab in the background
Excuse me? Point at a link and right click to get
a menu. Use the mouse to choose from: Open Link In
New Window, Open Link in New Tab, or one of ten
other features. Couldn't be easier, surely?

It can be easier! Try Opera :)

Mozilla doesn't offer a choice of whether the new tab or new window comes on top, except (as Welliesorter points out) by setting a preference. In other words, it's always-on or always-off

In Opera, the popup menu offers a choice of foreground or background:

* "open" (in the current tab of the current window)
* "open in new page" (in Mozilla-speak, a tab in the current window)
* "open in background page"
* "open in new window"
* "open in background window"

The way I read the backroom is to go to index page, then open in a background tab each of the threads I want to read.

I couldn't do that in Mozilla without turning off the ability to open a freground tab in the situations where that's what I want to do.
Point taken. I use Opera too occasionally--it's a great browser--but I find I gravitate towards Mozilla Firefox out of preference. I like the simplicity of it.
Your choice.

It works for me at home and I've never had an issue. Mind you, I've never had a virus either.
Mark

My Google toolbar doesn't block the LR ad - how come your does?

Terry

dunno, but I'm certainly not suffering from it.

Have you recently installed it ?
Having said that and posted it, of course the Landrover ad immediately appeared !!

I shall change pop-up blockers or if neccessary, browser. Nobody is forcing advertising down my throat in this manner.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mark.
A month or so ago

Terry

Landrover Pop Up Advert - Clanger
Have some of mine; for some reason my orange.net mailbox is awash with mydoom and netsky variants. Fortunately the mail is web-based like hotmail so they are someone else's problem.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Humpy
Join the club, I must have had at least 50 copies of netsky.mydoom through my orange.net address. Norton Antivirus has no problem identifying them thankfully.

Incidentally, I haven't seen this LR advert oh...that must be Norton Internet Security.....expensive...but worth it for surfing pleasure I reckon.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Clanger
I think PestPatrol scoops up and destroys anything that Google may send that passes a firewall.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Landrover Pop Up Advert - keo-the-dog
this ad is a complete pain in the rectal region and has only convinced me i really dont want a landrover , if they have to stoop to this sort of intrusion, i'll keep my old isuzu it's a better 4x4 by far. landrover thanks but no thanks so please stop it's not funny.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - cockle {P}
By playing around with my browser settings (Avant) it would appear that you will need to disable both pop-ups and flash animation. Mini ad seems to be a pop-up and LR ad a flash animation. Disabling both has worked for me. I know they're there to provide revenue for the site but I really don't need for them to keep reappearing after I've visited a couple of times!

Cockle
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Altea Ego
Ok thats it, A day of this LR ad has driven me to distraction, I dont mind the advertising but this one is TOO obtrusive. I am offski till the LR Season is over.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Guru-Meditation
Load Mozilla Firefox browser with the Flash 'Click to play' plugin, the Adblock plugin and NEVER, EVER be bothered by unwanted ads or popups. I swear I've not had a SINGLE popup or floating advert etc using this. On the occasions it blocks a popup required from a friendly site etc it can quickly be configured to be allowed. I know ad revenue helps keep sites like this afloat but I don't want to see it, especially when they take such an annoying format.

I realise not everybody will want to go off and install Firefox but it is kosher and better than IE, same stability levels. Oh and tabbed browsing is a gift from the Gods.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Guru-Meditation
Oops just read rest of the thread see others have recommended Firefox already. What they said
Landrover Pop Up Advert - borasport20
the mini was bad enough, but the LR is too too much. It's now to slow to browse via dialup from home, and while I can browse freely from work, installing a pop-up killer would be a sackable offence !

Although I don't agree with pop-ups,I've never complained about ads in the past, as my own website makes me aware how difficult it is to raise revenue.

These ads are the equivalent, as the Growler pointed out over 12 motnhs ago, of somebody taking you newspaper out of your hands and turning it to their advert and that may be ok for some people, but it annoys me, so i'll be taking a holiday from hj's for a week or two
just 'cos I know what I'm saying doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about

Landrover Pop Up Advert - Andrew-T
If the LR ad doesn't go soon, I shall. May be no loss, but there it is.
I agree its a pain. I'm not defending it.

However, we're putting pressure on to get it amended. So please don't leave just yet.

Mark.
p.s. disabling Active-X seems to kill it.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - No Do$h
I echo Mark's comments there. It may take a few days to get sorted, but try and stick with it if you can.

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Landrover Pop Up Advert - MS
I used to visit this site daily (occasionaly asked a question or sent a reply) but now only drop by monthly to see if those adverts which make the site unusable have gone away.

They're even worse now! So I may not bother coming back again :-(

I manage to run a special interest travel website without the need to have any adverts spoiling it :-) downside is my website costs me my personal money to run :-( but that's the old spirit of the internet :-)
Landrover Pop Up Advert - matt35 {P}
It is a pain in the rear, but if HJ is making a few coppers to run the site from this ad?
No worse than getting a red light and a lot shorter on an ADSL line.

Matt35.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Dynamic Dave
At last the advert has a close button, however, you have to be pretty accurate with the cursor to hit it, and not launch the LR site.

In IE you can just hit F5 to refresh. That gets rid of it.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Dynamic Dave
In IE you can just hit F5 to refresh. That gets rid of it.

Hmm, that sounds familiar. Visions of Volvo appearing in the back of my mind.
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Flat in Fifth
The unfortunate thing is that it looks like a few people have had to go the same route as myself.

Adverts pay for the site and the link was sometimes but not always followed which helps pay for the site.

The increasing obtrusiveness of these things [1] finally persuaded me to install software from www.panicware.com to the detriment of popups and unfortunately HJ's income. (just my 2p)

[1] not from HJ site but elsewhere
Landrover Pop Up Advert - Andrew-T
Mark, No Dosh - LR is still coming, but at least I can close it!
We've mentioned this to HJ and suggested that the ad agency seriously reconsider their strategy. This isn't advertising, it's bullying! Dave has suggested that the ad only pop-upa couple of times per session, not every other screen.

No Dosh
We've mentioned this to HJ and suggested that the ad agency
seriously reconsider their strategy. This isn't advertising, it's bullying!
Dave has suggested that the ad only pop-upa couple of times
per session, not every other screen.

Maybe the ad agency is getting commission from Opera or the Mozilla Foundation. Popups are one of the of the more effective recruiting agents for the better browsers.
Annoying & disappearing ads - Geffers
You bet...! I wonder if the sole purpose of this nauseating little ad is to turn people off the vehicle? If so, it\'s highly successful...!
Thanks, life's much better with that close button. Mini ad has certainly been around for a week, probably two. But as I never actually see it (and it gets transformed into an AA or Free gifts (is that Mitsubishi - something Japanese anyway - shows how much effect it's had on me) it doesn't worry me.
Annoying & disappearing ads - martint123
Perhaps someone could point LR or their Ad agency to:-
www.theregister.com/content/6/35792.html
Employing pop-up ads to target punters is like playing Russian roulette with your brand, according to Web behaviour consultancy Bunnyfoot Universality.

They reckon companies that use - or host - pop-up advertising are a big turn-off, risking "suicide" for their brand. Bunnyfoot's research found that pop-ups were the "single biggest turn-off among users" with users deleting the ads on average just 2.5 seconds after they appear.
Six out of ten of those quizzed said they mistrusted brands that used pop-ups to advertise their products and services.

Said Rob Stevens, director of business behaviour at Bunnyfoot: "Brands are undoubtedly committing commercial suicide by insisting on using pop-ups. The effect of such techniques goes way beyond simply annoying the user: they frustrate, they impose and they engender mistrust. Pop-ups are therefore not just a huge waste of money, they are also extremely negative for a brand."

This month MSN said it would no longer sell pop-up and pop-under ads after its own research found that pop-ups are a "key contributor to user dissatisfaction".

Amsterdam-based WebAds Interactive Advertising last week also said it will no longer sell pop-up ads for its European clients, claiming that nine in ten of Net users dislike these intrusive ads.

Annoying & disappearing ads - patently
Some possible explanations come to mind:

1. Ad agencies don't realise how irritating pop-ups are and think they are really cool.

2. Those of us who contribute to this thread and others like it are just a vocal minority. The rest of the BR happily follow the pop-ups and make them so effective that this outweighs the irritation factor.

3. Ad agencies realise just how irritating they are and are deliberately insisting on pop-ups so that people threaten to leave the site and thus don't see the other ads put there by the competition.

Personally, I think 1 or 2 are the most likely but can't decide which. 3 has the appeal which attaches to all conspiracy theorie, though!

Where's our resident expert on the world of Marketing?

Come on Pologirl, step up to the microphone, we want to hear the inside line on pop-ups and why ad agencies use the darn things.
I have to say this.

The stance and the expression on the lady in the LR ad makes her look as if she is kneeling in anticipation of providing a very personal service to some lucky bloke.

I'm not sure that this matches LR's intended message.

And the "Get ready for it" strapline doesn't help.
Annoying & disappearing ads - Vin {P}
Mods/HJ, is there any way that the site could be set up so that people who want to subscribe (which many of us are happy with) could have a pop-up free site, while users who prefer could choose free but ad-supported?

There are plenty of sites like this; I don't know how difficult it is at your end, though.

V
I'd subscribe (literally) to that

Terry

That one is firmly in HJ's hands but I suspect is a non-starter due to the relatively small number of regulars who would consider a subscription.
Annoying & disappearing ads - PoloGirl
Thanks to whoever sorted the close button on the LR ad - you're a star! I still don't want a mini though, so no matter how many times you show it to me, I'm not going to enter the competition.

ND... I feel less and less like an expert the closer we get to the big end of degree deadlines! I think popup ads are all about raising brand recognition and I hate to point out it's got you all talking about landrover and mini again! There will always be someone who clicks on them though, more so if they're clever/properly targetted. However, there has been an element of jumping on the bandwagon, and very few agencies get it right, to the extent that people are starting to question whether popups work at all. That's about all I know - nice fluffy PR is more my thing :)

On the subject of paying... I'd pay now, because I know what lovely folk you all are, but I wouldn't have paid to post an initial query, which is how most people get "sucked in"! Maybe free access for a month, and then a one off fee after that...? Don't think its a route worth exploring personally, as would involve a lot of extra effort to look after.

As I've said before, if HJ needs help to raise the profile of the site, my freelance services are always available (plug, plug...) ;-)

(Why can I type so easily on here, and yet my dissertation still sits at 1200 words with a deadline of 3rd May??)

Annoying & disappearing ads - PoloGirl
Patently...

Either you're very short or your other half finds your knees very attractive!!

Thanks PG - LOL at last after a long day!

Annoying & disappearing ads - Colin M
At least there is an allowable discussion going on about pop ups this time. Last time I posted a complaint, my post was deleted and I received personal email from the moderators.

I almost gave up on this site simply because of the annoyance of the pop ups. No other web site I visit uses them, but I switched to Mozilla and they are no more.

Interestingly one of the weekend papers ran an article about pop up web ads and said how they were so obtrusive it had been shown they were having a negative effect on consumers.

Banners, side bars and links, no problem, I have clicked on a few. Animated gifs and pop ups. No thanks!

Hi Colin.

The pop-ups have got to the stage where it can sometimes be impossible to moderate the site. HJ is talking to the agency about this. It is, after all, a very blunt instrument and there has been no positive feedback.

Any click-throughs the agency points to will be as a result of accidents or sheer frustration. I know I've found myself on the Landrover site by accident.

Hopefully the message will get across soon. In the meantime, enjoy Mozilla.

No Dosh
Annoying & disappearing ads - Stargazer {P}
I notice from the BBC website yesterday that service pack 2 for XP will arrive in the summer....IE will get its own popup blocker which will be set to block by default.

regards

Ian L.
But no doubt there will be a way round this pop-up blocker that will be available for purchase from Microsoft, so that just 'your' ads pop up...
Subscription Based Backroom - Altea Ego
Quick peek to see if LR season is over. I see its been reduced a lot (being a LR it probably wont start) so I am back

Yes I know - sorry about that, but here I am.
land rover woman - Imagos
At least the woman in the land rover ad is pretty fit!
Subscription Based Backroom - Mapmaker
I think it would be an excellent idea. I for one would NOT pay, and might 'waste' less time.

Can I pay to be banned???
Subscription Based Backroom - No Do$h
I think it would be an excellent idea. I for
one would NOT pay, and might 'waste' less time.
Can I pay to be banned???

You certainly can, and I promise ::crosses fingers behind back:: to pass your payment on to HJ. Shall we say £20 outside the Barrow Boy and Banker at 12:30 tomorrow?
Subscription Based Backroom - NowWheels
>> Can I pay to be banned???
You certainly can, and I promise ::crosses fingers behind back:: to
pass your payment on to HJ. Shall we say £20
outside the Barrow Boy and Banker at 12:30 tomorrow?

I think you are undervaluing his time. If his time is worth only £20/hour, and you save him only 50 hours over the next year, he'd be a grand better off.

So I suggest you sting him for £500, and remind him what huge favour you're doing him ....

PS Any chance of a commission fee?

{grin}
Subscription Based Backroom - No Do$h
Ah, but like the best deals done outside pubs in "Sarf" London, I haven't told him the details. Once I'm into him for £20, I'll drop into conversation that this only buys a weekly ban....
Hartley, Tower Bridge Road, and you can look at that Forester at the same time. My commission on that...
Subscription Based Backroom - AngryJonny
I'm less sure about that now. I'd sell a kidney to get rid of that "win a Mini" ad. How annoying is it? Very.
Errrr I see it for a split second & then it disappears. More annoying if I'd paid to put it there (and not have it seen) than having it inflicted on me. It does come up rather often though.