Buying through dealers - catcher
I'm looking to replace my ageing Passat with a nearly-new mid-sized estate. I've visited one or two dealers and when I find they have nothing in stock that I want they often say 'tell us what you want and we'll find it for you'. This is fine but to me it reduces your bargaining power because they will then know what your budget is before they've located the car and of course they are likely to find one to match the budget rather than you matching your budget to a particular car. I'd welcome any comments on how best to deal with this.
Thanks
TERRIER
Buying through dealers - PR {P}
Can you not go to the makers uk website and do a used car search? I know Alfa Romeo and Audi sites have this and Im sure all others will aswell. Just type in your requirements and it will give their national stock of used cars
Buying through dealers - catcher
Thanks PR but you can only get a car from the national stock list through a dealer, can't you? I suppose you can base negotiations on the web site details before they actually get it for you.
Buying through dealers - madf
use the Autotrader search website..

www.autotrader.co.uk/

It's great for finding cars at dealers or privately.

madf

Buying through dealers - Pugugly {P}
or indeed the link that lies within a couple of mills of this very thread...so that HJ can benefit as well.
Buying through dealers - DavidHM
Also most (though I don't think all) manufacturers will tell you which dealer the car is located at and there's nothing to stop you from negotiating with the dealer there at source, completely bypassing your local dealer.
Buying through dealers - henry k
or indeed the link that lies within a couple of mills
of this very thread...so that HJ can benefit as well.

>>
I have found this search facility most useful. I found what I consider a good buy from a long established trader via AT. It enables you to compare specs and prices from a wide variety of sources. I could not believe the range of prices asked for apparently very similar spec cars. I also looked at the search facility of the "Main dealers" sites and often found an overlap on AT.
I found it was sometimes difficult to check on the colour of the car for sale. Discontinued colours or a sellers attempt at describing a colour were challenging. You may avoid this if you are after a newish car as the seller can quote from the current brochure.
Happy hunting
Buying through dealers - daveyK_UK
avoid dealers!
Buying through dealers - Mapmaker
off thread, but dealers are brilliant for 'out the back door' cars, i.e. px to clear.