New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Pugugly {P}
I collected my new five today, followed by an 86 mile round trip.

It is very tight - but its character is shining through. As expected everything is just right about it, sublime ride, handling is sharp but not explored (yet) a wonderfully logical cabin. Performance (even now) is superb. Its is ok.

The old one is still here, now standing folornaly on its allocated date related plates. It'll be sad to see it go when the leasing company pick it up next week.

Bangle did a good job on this one.
Pastime: using a 5 to straighten the bendy bits.
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - NowWheels
Bangle did a good job on this one.

heretic! {{grin}}
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Ford Dagenham
hello

Explain what a 5 is apart from a number or a robot on a film

(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Explain what a 5 is apart from a number or a
robot on a film

I know Pugugly will disagree strongly, but IMRHO here's a definition:

5 = BMW five-series, an expensive and well-enginerered car let down by overly frenetic styling
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Wilco {P}
PU

What colour? - as this seems to have an impact on how good they look.

Saw a white one the other day - hope yours isn't?!

:-)
Dark metallic silver (not the usual Titanium Silver)the colour of the demo I was loaned.

5 = BMW5 series - my shorthand sorry
There's a photo gallery of the new 5-series touring at
tinyurl.com/32c3a

I find it easier on the eye than the saloon ... though I can't help but feel that the heavily sculpted sides are a bit out of place on an estate.

Something about it reminds me of the Chrusler PT Cruiser, which was a reall head-turner when new, but is now starting to look a bit incongruous.
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Chad.R
I find it easier on the eye than the saloon ...

Yes, I'd agree. IMO the same applies to the E class* too.

To me, in the linked pics at least, the rear of the 5 touring looks very similar to the E class estate.

* substitute A6, 156 .....

Chad.
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - patently
Sniff! I still have until July to wait for mine!

[turns green]

New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Oz
Yep - it's a great car. My car is the 'old' (current) 3-Series which I'm extremely happy with, but which will eventually inherit the iDrive which is now standard in the new 5-Series.
Having looked at the latter (much simplified since the 7-Series), it is a totally logical control centre for the various functions, very straightforward.
Have just viewed the flyer for the new 1-Series which I gather is due in the UK in September, and this confirms the above as the way BMW is going.
Oz (as was)
500 miles up today, feels like as comfy as a hand in a glove, everything is so right.

I saw photos of the touring after I had ordered this and instantly regretted it. The touring is a more fluid design...

Not that it bothers me but it is a head turner.

"I Drive" is better than the first generation I sampled in a 7.

Had the typical BMW experience of the thing steaming up its windscreen for no apparant reason (from clear to not so clear in a nanosecond)...

Dealer experience very good. Delivered to my door - 15 miles distance, full tank of diesel without asking (i forgot) a 10 minute briefing from the sales guy - (gogogogogo I want to drive it !)- and a £15.00 M&S voucher for SWMBO in lieu of the usual flowers.
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Dalglish
>>>>
Had the typical BMW experience of the thing steaming up
its windscreen for no apparant reason (from clear to not so
clear in a nanosecond)...

??? in 5 years of being driven or driving in beemers, have never experienced or heard of this before. ???
I'v ehad it in the last three...dunno why.
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - patently
gogogogogo I want to drive it !

Yes, I remember the handover of my 911. Part of me wanted to savour it as it will probably never happen again. Part of me was screaming STFU I want to go now now now .....
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - NitroBurner
Re: steaming up

Had an E39 that did exactly the same......Really used to wind me up!

I think the problem stems from the fact that when the ignition is turned off, all the vents are shut & the cabin is 'sealed'.

Never experienced this problem before with cars that had manually adjusted H & V.

Give me plain air con anyday....
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Mad Maxy
Auto or manual PU? 530d?
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - BikeBoy
Surely it has to be the 530d, a fantastic motor. I've got a Touring version on order for the beginnig of jun can't wait.

BB
Manual-530d. I have a suspicionm I shoud have gone for the Touring. The old one left today, very sad, a worthy 12 month old motor for someone 26k up...a very good car that will be missed.
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Dude - {P}
If its company tin it won`t affect your pocket, but the touring versions retain their value considerably better than the saloons, have far greater practicality and luggage space, and in the case of the E60 is vastly better styled. Think you may have boobed PU.!!
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Mad Maxy
No worries, PU. The saloon and the Touring are both v tasty - though Touring has the edge.

Actually the preceding 5 saloons still look v handsome, especially in Sport guise and in the right colour. A real classic. Time will tell whether new 5 achieves the same status.

Oh, have you gone for 'active steering' and other other new-fangled stuff? The motor mags say stick with regular steering and wheels. Think I would (if I were in the position to be choosing - which I'm not...)
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Mapmaker
Antiquated technology reason for steamed up windows:

I know I usually post a response that would apply to the 20 year old version of a car... so I'll not stop this habit. Old Mercedes 123s that steam up the moment you put the fan on usually have water leaks and a fan full of water. Alternatively the aircon doesn't drain properly so blasts water straight into the car. Heaven forfend that your new 5 should leak...

New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Chad.R
far greater practicality and luggage space, and in the case of the E60 is vastly better styled.

The rear space and boot capacity in the E39 saloon was, shall we say, sometimes less than adequate. An accusation that can be equally, if not more so, made against the E34 5 series.

I doubt anyone would find the E60 saloon wanting, it certainly seems to be very spacious in both areas.

Chad.
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Bill Payer
'Scuse me asking, but is changing at 1yr old a perk of the job, or does it make sense financially to do this (rather than lease for 2/3 yrs).
No Perk. The previous one replaced a much (better) loved 330d which was three years old when it went. The company was supposed to give me a new 330d Sport. Due to a "supply problem" they didn't and I ended up with an "upgrade". The lease was due for re-negotiation this year anyway, due a number of foul ups my Company did not renew. SWMBO (bean counter) worked out I was better taking a cash deal this time around, which I did hence the early bath for the old one.

It hasn't got the active steering and the standard alloys following advice read in these columns.

By the way anyone see the drawing of the new 2 series in today's Car..tasty looking metal and an M2 version as well.

New car on a thousand miles plus. Steamed once at the weekend, going up the Llanberis pass towards Snowdon, it coincided with a 2 degree temp. drop. I don't think it leaks and the theory at being "oversealed" is the one I am pursuing. Excellent motoring roads in North Wales despite its anti-speed image, arrived there on Friday evening and enjoyed a thrash along the Capel Curig road from the A5 towards the Pass. Superb road, little traffic, near perfect weather. Posting by laptop up there ain't easy though !

Pastime: using a 5 to straighten the bendy bits.
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - Bill Payer
Thanks for reply - opting out is my route to a 5 Series too. This months (May) What Car has a letter from a guy who got a 530dA + Leather for £28K5 (and del in 2 wks). I called the dealer and they flatly denied it was true, but did promise 'a good deal' - very strange all round. They did have 2 530d's in stock, which surprised me.

Wild guesses on the misting up - does the car have auto- recirculation (if it smells something it doesn't like)? If this activated and A/C was off then the car would mist up.
Or perhaps the A/C was on and the temp drop turned it off (either because not needed or outside temp too low)?
If all the above happened at the same time the car would probably mist almost instantly!
New 5 arrives - old one here until 1/4 - No Do$h
By the way anyone see the drawing of the new 2
series in today's Car..tasty looking metal and an M2 version as
well.

Don't know how accurate these pics are, but have a look on www.streetracersonline.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?...1