vw passat pd life expectancy? - gasoil
Hi, thanks to everyone who replied to my batt question. Next is how good or bad is vw's pd tdi engines? is it likley to last or blow up? the car is well looked after and not driven hard!
vw passat pd life expectancy? - cheddar
I think the VW TDI engines have a cam belt so that needs changing on time however the unknown is the PD system which runs at much higher pressure that previous direct injection systems, that being said I have not heard of any probs.
vw passat pd life expectancy? - bertj
The cam belt should be changed at 40k (pre 2001 cars) or 60k (post 2001). It's essential that the correct oil (VW spec 505.01 or 506.01) has been used.
vw passat pd life expectancy? - bertj
Just noticed your previous battery postings. The 115pd engine should have had the cam belt etc. changed at 40k. If not, get it done as a matter of urgency. If the belt breaks the subsequent engine repairs will cost more than the car is worth!
vw passat pd life expectancy? - mark
If its any help I have a 2001 (Y) Passat TDI and its done 62K with no engine problems. The whole thing has been generally as sound as a pound as they say, though I do wake up sweating some nights about the potential wishbone/ball joint issues.

I have seen earlier ones 1998/99 with over 100k on the clock and again no perceived engine issues.

I got my belt changed at the local Seat dealer which was much cheaper than VW and as Bertj says always make sure the correct PD oil is put in.

HTH

as always

Mark
vw passat pd life expectancy? - HectorG
I had a 1998 model Golf with a 115 bhp diesel. This suffered complete failure before 40,000 miles and was replaced under warranty. It was not a PD, but my later 130 PD Golf, although not failing, became progressively rougher and prone to excessive vibration, so much so that I got rid at 47,000 miles.

I understand (from various sources) that the PD engines -particularly the 130 PD - are very fragile. From my experience of 3 VW's over the last 8 years and 160,000 miles it is not worth risking keeping one beyond the expiry date of the warranty.

I have finally gone 'Japanese' in the search for build quality and reliability. You only have to look in this week's Auto Express to have this confirmed - their annual driver survey shows the top 12 cars for reliability as Japanese. Having said that, my Honda CR-V was built in Swindon!

HectorG
vw passat pd life expectancy? - gasoil
Hi, can anybody else back up what hector is talking about? If your car was a 1998 then it would not have been a 115bhp. I know that vw have had problems with cars but they must last longer than 40,000 miles.
vw passat pd life expectancy? - HectorG
Hi gasoil

you're right I meant 110bhp. I saw your post rather late in the evening and wasn't thinking straight.

I have just worked out cost per mile figures for my 130 PD Golf over 2.5 years and 47,000 miles. I get a figure of 28p per mile which is incredible compared with the What Car figure of 39.1p.
Whilst I accept the real-life running costs are very good, I still have no regrets in getting rid before the warranty expired.If I had kept it, I would have been permanently worried by the possibility of another engine failure.

It will be interesting to see how the new 2.0 TDi engine holds up. I test drove the new Golf GT TDi 2.0 and was very impressed.However, they are at least £2000 over-priced IMHO.

HectorG

vw passat pd life expectancy? - julian_greenwood
Hi

I would be very interested to understand from HectorG why his TDI engine required replacing. I have a tdi 90 BHP which has over 160K miles on it but would ask hector G to tell me what his symptoms were so I can look out for his failure thanks>> I had a 1998 model Golf with a 115 bhp diesel.
vw passat pd life expectancy? - steve241
My VW Passat is a 2000 model and has done 45k. I have been advised by my VW dealer to have the Cambelt changed and the cost is £390. Do you think I should have to pay this or should it be free?

Steve241
vw passat pd life expectancy? - Adam {P}
Do you mean that the garage should pay for your cambelt change?
vw passat pd life expectancy? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Free cambelt change after 5 years?
Now there is a radical idea.
Free tyres as well I say!
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
vw passat pd life expectancy? - Roly93
You tend to hear more about failures of VaG PD engines simply because there are more of them out there than most other car diesel engines. They are fitted to VW,Audi,Seat,Skoda, Ford Galaxy(I think) as well as a host of light commercials.
I dont think the engine is any less robust than other 2 litre diesels, the only well-known problems are MAF failures at about 60K+ miles, which is now quick and easy to fix as a DIY job.
The only other scary thing about the PD lump is that if anything goes wrong out of warranty with the Bosch (Pumpe Duse)unitary injectors it can get real expensive, although any of the common-rail diesels are in pretty much the same boat.
We have many PD Golfs, Passats and Audi's in our company and I haven't heard of anyone with actual ENGINE problems.
As long as you use the 506 spec oil all is usually okay.
Roly93,
Can you point me at a link to the MAF DIY repair?
I am on borrowed time at 74k and beter swat up!
--
vw passat pd life expectancy? - Tim Allcott
It can creep up on you Glaikit... I understand it gradually deteriorates over time. Problem with accelarating up hills? engine hasn't got quite the "pep" it used to have? Thats the puppy! Other symptom is an IMPROVEMENT in mpg. If you're sad enough to keep a running record of your consumption, that also provides a clue. We've got the A6 tdi, bought it with 110,000 on the clock, so ours was far gone. I thought it didn't have quite the urge I expected, and, after it was changed, whoosh! Mechanic said he'd never seen one quite so far gone...
Tim{P}
Roly93,
Can you point me at a link to the MAF DIY
repair?
I am on borrowed time at 74k and beter swat up!
--

There are lots of links, to MAF issues, if you look on www.dieselcar.com forum it crops up quite a bit.

However there are plenty of eBay sellers selling these units eg :-

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-flow-meter-VW-Skoda-Audi-Seat-S...m

Alternatively have a look at Eurocarparts.co.uk they are always very good, and most times sell parts made by the same people as the official VaG part.

If you go to the VW dealer you will pay 2-3x the price for the same part. With VERY basic tools ie screwdriver etc, you can fit this in half an hour easily.
Symptoms are :- black smoke, loss of power/accelaration, unable to rev over 3000, heavier fuel consumption, maybe ECU light on.
Further to my last post, it is also possible to clean the MAF sensor itself with electrical contact cleaner spray. However to do this you need a special tamper proof torx screwdriver bit to withdraw the sensor from the plastic MAF tube assembly. This can sometimes elliminate the need for a replacement.
One of the often blamed causes for MAF failures has been the use of aftermarket 'free-flow' air filters which can sometimes cause the MAF to oil-up thus hindering their normal function. If you do choose to withdraw the MAF sensor, be very careful with it, as they are delicate.
vw passat pd life expectancy? - Sprice
There was a Passat estate on autotrader about a year ago with 330k, but I'm not sure if it was a PD.
vw passat pd life expectancy? - HarlequinVW
I have *heard* that when the injectors wear they start squirting instead of properly atomising the fuel. The squirt washes the oil off the other side of the bore from the injector and you need a new block at 130K.

Although it's not unheard of for these engine to self-destruct, i think its not common, especially compared to how many of these engines are on the road, as already mentioned.
Roly93,
Thanks for that. My car has none of the symptoms so far.
At least the MAF sensor is cheapish from ebay.

Think the injector problems does not apply to the PD engines IIRC.
--
vw passat pd life expectancy? - julian_greenwood
Hi

I would be very interested if hectorG could reply and let me know why his engine required replacing. I keep on herring on these pages that the tdi injectors wear and lead to oval bores but no one seems to give the symptoms. To cure my curiosity I contacted one company that overhauls injectors and they too had heard that honest john talks about it via there customers who often send in TDI injectors (non PD), but when they test them find nothing wrong with the spray pattern.

Pleas let me know what the failure modes are so that I can look for the symptoms before it is too late. Did Hector G?s golf fail due to the injectors or something else

I have spoken to several other TDI owners and all spoke of how reliable they were and the ranged in mileage from 120K up to 300K. The one at 300K even had the original clutch
vw passat pd life expectancy? - PhilDews
As previously stated on this forum I ran a golf gt tdi 130 PD to 125K without any problems!
vw passat pd life expectancy? - John F
Do petrols now last longer than diesels? I sold our 2.0GL Passat at 240,000 plus. No engine probs except eventually a litre of oil every 800 miles. Still had original cambelt, although I had to change the easily accessible tension pulley when it started whining.

I've always thought it odd that diesels should last longer, especially when you think of the huge internal stresses.

If it works, don't mend it.
vw passat pd life expectancy? - bell boy
they dont get petrol in the bores though so they are always running in some kind of oily stuff
vw passat pd life expectancy? - Robble
Hi,

I have a Golf Tdi with 160K mile on the clock. I've read stuff on this forum before about the injector spray pattern and oval bores, but it seems to be more of a rumour. I've not seen anyone actually complaining about the problem on here or anywhere else for that matter

The injectors on these engines don't squirt until the piston is almost at TDC. They inject into the combustion chamber and actually prodrude into the cylinder a little with the tips inside a recess in the top of the piston when they squirt. If anything were to be affected by a deffective spray pattern it would be the piston head itself surely!

vw passat pd life expectancy? - Pat L
Re the cam belt issue, I had mine replaced at 61k/5yrs on my 2000X A4 115 at the local independent garage. I made a point of having a look at the old belt etc in situ and it all looked almost brand new! Certainly very 'chumky'.

The mechanic changed the water pump as a precaution because it had a slight leak.

Big job, though, due to the front of the car being removed to gain access.

So far at 65k miles the car has performed faultlesly - I'd definely have another (prob 2.0tdi). Strong performance and 50+ mpg.
vw passat pd life expectancy? - 547HEW
Hi Pat,

Very interested in your 115PS engine going to 60+K miles on its OE cambelt.

I have been changing my (2001MY Golf)cambelt religiously at the 40K miles intervals specficied by VW. Its now at 115K and I am looking to extend this to 50K if possible, as it is a pain to do. Each time the belt and tensioner have looked good for further service. I know of one other 2000MY 115 PS's cambelt reaching 60+K miles successfully.

Furthermore, the last belt I fitted had an up-suffixed part number, co-incidental with Ford raising the change interval on their Galaxy fitted with tis engine to 50K miles.

Also, using the Formula provided by 689FBE some years ago, the durability comes out at approx 50K miles for this belt application.

What interval did Audi specify for your car?
vw passat pd life expectancy? - silverfox1957
i have a y reg 1.9tdi 130 with 94,000 miles serviced to schedule at independant garage now that 3 year warranty has expired , no issues with the engine - running really well , oil changed every 6 months as recommended by honest john
vw passat pd life expectancy? - quizman
i have a y reg 1.9tdi 130 with 94,000 miles serviced
to schedule at independant garage now that 3 year warranty has
expired , no issues with the engine - running really well
, oil changed every 6 months as recommended by honest john

Have you changed the cambelt yet? and if so, at how many miles and what cost.
vw passat pd life expectancy? - Pat L
HEW,

The handbook specifies 60k and this was confirmed a year or so ago with the supplying Audi dealer. Going by what the old belt looked like I'm happy to stick to the 60k/5 year interval, though I totally appreciate your decision to go with a 4ok interval.

Cheers

Pat
HEW,
The handbook specifies 60k and this was confirmed a year or
so ago with the supplying Audi dealer. Going by what the
old belt looked like I'm happy to stick to the 60k/5
year interval, though I totally appreciate your decision to go
with a 4ok interval.

I saw the thread regarding this on the other part of this forum, and I have to say that it looks like another excuse to go on a VaG-bashing spree which seems a popular sport!
I think you are quite right in your assumption, I will do the same myself.
Recently someone started a thread 'is this forum anti Alfa ?'
I'm thinking of starting one entitled is this forum anti VW !!
vw passat pd life expectancy? - HarlequinVW
I saw the thread regarding this on the other part of
this forum, and I have to say that it looks like
another excuse to go on a VaG-bashing spree which seems a
popular sport!
I think you are quite right in your assumption, I will
do the same myself.
Recently someone started a thread 'is this forum anti Alfa ?'
I'm thinking of starting one entitled is this forum anti VW
!!

A quick look around the internet will inform you that the problem is with common rail diesel engines in general, not VW.

I think peoples frustration is borne out of the fact that new cars have many faults, but only the safety related ones are ever admitted to by dealers, in the form of recals. All other faults are hushed up at the customers expense, the current VW plastic water pump is a classic example of this.

VW used to (in the '80's) be of higher quality than other manufacturers, but the extra cost AND lack of equipment meant that sales fell. People took the short term view, without considering the long term consequences and who can blame VW bowing to consumer demand and changing their stratergy?

What you are seeing here is the medium/long-term consequences of this stratergy. IMO the blame lies as a "chicken and egg", situation.

The best current solution is a forum that shares information about solutions to common problems. Even better would be a situation where the information is made available by dealers for problems to be rectified before they cause catastrophic results/costs. The later wouldn't work in todays society, so until YOU have a better solution, please don't knock the former...
vw passat pd life expectancy? - silverfox1957
The cambelt was replaced at just over £60,000 miles i cannot confirm the cost as this was prior to my ownership ,
The cambelt was replaced at just over £60,000 miles i cannot
confirm the cost as this was prior to my ownership ,

Yup reflects my rough costings with main dealers.
--