mk2 golf auto choke - andymk2driver
Hi,i've bought a g-reg golf driver a week ago and i'm happy with the car apart from the way it behaves in the mornings.It starts without a problem but until it warms up its very hesitant pulling away and a few days ago when it was really cold the choke seemed to kick in and reved very high for about 5 minutes and then suddenly turned itself off.
The hose from the air cleaner to the manifold is intact could it be the waxstat i've seen mentioned????or possibly a service plugs,air filter etc.
Any advice appreciated cheers........Andy
mk2 golf auto choke - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I think you have a fault with the basic operation of the choke mechanism ie incorrect setting of the waxstat plus possibly a problem with the choke pull down unit and the idle speed control unit. The very fast idle is correct in sub zero temperatures but should only last a very short while (10 secs) then drop onto the normal fast idle.
It needs attention from someone with the knowledge to set this lot up properly but I'd recommend a Weber carb conversion to be honest.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
mk2 golf auto choke - greaser pv
Almost certainly choke pull-off unit and maybe waxstat too, however check all vacuum pipes with a fine tooth comb which if holed muck up everthing.
Thanks for the advice chaps i dont really want to shell out for a weber conversion as in all honesty im only likely to own the car for a year or two so wont really be cost effective.
The problem dont seem as bad as other postings i've read regarding golf carbs so i might try the repair procedures,any chance of me (a willing but inexperianced mechanic)fixing the pull-off unit and waxstat or am i best to take it to a garage?
If possible a brief description on how these jobs are done would be much appreciated even if i do take it to the garage at least i will no what works are being carryed out...cheers guys Andy
mk2 golf auto choke - Halmer
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=20...4
mk2 golf auto choke - Peter D
Check the carb to chassis earth strap. The resistance of the hedgehog heating element in the bottom ob the inlet manafold and the heating element associated to the throttle body. Regards Peter
took car along to my local mechanic and you could actually hear that the choke pull-out unit was faulty(constant annoying noise) so hopefuly tommorow will be replaced and all will be well..
mk2 golf auto choke - Big Cat
I once had a solex carb on a golf replaced with a Weber. It wasn't a success so eventually went back to the Solex. Your golf probably has the Pierburg carb which have an unjustified bad reputation. People say they are bad carbs - they are not, they just are difficult to set up correctly and need expertise to do so.

Also remember if you change to a Weber you must inform your insurance as it will be classed as a modification.
replaced choke pull-out unit,noise it was making has stopped and now when i now start the car its starting and sort of dieing again.
I'm reving the engine to keep it running only for 5 secs or so but this wase'ent happening before.
no noticeable improvement with the choke problem and mechanic is going to replace the waxstat early next week.
Anyone want to buy a golf :/
mk2 golf auto choke - greaser pv
The problem can be that people fiddle with the basic settings to overcome a specific fault i.e. increasing fast idle speed to compensate for faulty choke pull-off unit or some other quick fix.Thus causing a different problem when the fault is fixed . Difficult to diagnose over the internet but I've seen this on several occasions .Hope the waxstat cures your fault. And NO I don't want a golf, thanks anyway !
waxstat replaced still no improvement,choke just dont seem to kick in ????????