split cv boot kit - 1992 Astra - CharlieG
Hi,

Hope someone can help. have a 1992 Astra and noticed that cv boots starting to split. Don\'t really want to go to expense of having a garage do job and recall that some time ago I read about a kit that you could fit yourself. I recall that the boots themselves were split down the middle and were glued together once fitted over the cv joint.

does anyone know about these, do they work and where can I get them? Many thanks
split cv boot kit - M.M
Charlie,

Split boots available at all Motor Factors/Parts Suppliers. Often about £10 per boot compared with £7 for a quality normal boot or £5 for a cheap one.

On most cars I do the origianl boots have lasted about 100,000mls so I replace with OE quality boots for a further 100,000mls life!

Have used the split type a few times to good effect and seen one go to over a year without problems.

You need to be very very particular about keeping everything clean. It is so easy to get grease or dirt into the glued seam.

M.M
split cv boot kit - 1992 Astra - Dynamic Dave
Personal opinion of the split/glue on boots is don\'t go there. If you\'re planning on keeping the car for any length of time, then fit the *proper* ones. IMHO, the split/glue ones are a just quick fix to sell the car and then someone else can rectify the problems later, or just to get it through one more MOT. Chances are in less than one year down the line it\'ll need replacing again.
split cv boot kit - 1992 Astra - keo-the-dog
spot on DD. dont go there not woth the bother, messy and quite often dont last a week let alone a year do it properly and you probably will never have to do it again.
cheers...keo
split cv boot kit - 1992 Astra - greaser pv
As these are one of the easiest c/v boots to replace , don't bother with the split type , I have found them more difficult to do than the pukka ones.
split cv boot kit - 1992 Astra - Spanner Jack
Did you know you can pull the driveshaft out of the cv joint in 80% of Vauxhalls... No more splitting of ball joints required...

Have a try yourself next time...
Just cut the old gaiter off, spread the circlip and pull the shaft out...

Cuts the job time down to 15 minutes and you can fit a proper gaiter instead of a waste-of-space split one.
split cv boot kit - 1992 Astra - Dynamic Dave
Did you know you can pull the driveshaft out of the
cv joint in 80% of Vauxhalls... No more splitting of ball
joints required...

And if that fails, just disconnect the bottom ball joint from the suspension arm and then pull the driveshaft from the cv joint; leaving the cv joint in the hub.