The basic position and Bora mirrors - peedub
The door mirrors on my Bora have "synchronised". This means that they adjust together when I operate the right adjuster, and the left one can still be adjusted by itself. According to the manual, I must have acheived this by having adjusted each mirror to the "basic position".

I have no idea what the basic position is - at least, not in connexion with VW door mirrors. I should like to unsynchronise the mirrors, but the manual assumes that no-one should want to do so, since it gives no clue as to how to do it.

The manual also says that "it might be necessary to return the mirrors to the basic position if the synchronised mirror adjustment function has been used regularly". (God knows how that must look in German).

Can anyone throw any light on how I can unsynchronise and on what all of this nonsense means?

The basic position and Bora mirrors - DL
Never heard of it before......but it's a damn good idea!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
The basic position and Bora mirrors - andymc {P}
My Leon has the same feature, although I find it a bonus rather than a drawback. Do the mirrors on your Bora also fold in electronically? Wonder if that might be what the "basic position" is ... When I come across my handbook I'll see if there's anything in there about it, but don't be annoyed if it takes a while, as there's work being done in the house at the mo and a lot of our stuff is in boxes.
andymc
No, my Bora's mirrors don't fold in electronically and I'd wondered whether that was the basic position too. I don't think that synchronised mirrors are a drawback at all. I'd just like to know how to reverse the process.
The basic position and Bora mirrors - bertj
There is no way you can un-synchronize the mirrors. The best way of adjusting them is as follows:
1)Place the switch in the right mirror position; adjust the right mirror to where you want it. Ignore movement of the left mirror for the moment.
2)Place the switch in the left mirror position; adjust the left mirror to where you want it. The right mirror will not move and will stay in the position you selected in 1)
3)If you now put the switch back in the right mirror position both mirrors will move together but they will stay in the correct relative positions. There is no way you can move the right mirror by itself, only the left mirror. This is probably a legacy of left hand drive design.
This is exactly how they are working at the moment. The manual has it in reverse (for lhd).

When I first had the car about six months ago, both mirrors could be adjusted separately. It's only within the last month or so that I seem to have synchronised them, presumably by finding the magical 'basic position' that the manual refers to, but doesn't define. The fact that the manual refers to the procedure suggests that they should start out unsynchronised.
I've just checked the instruction book for my Passat - no help I'm afraid. Quote:
"Both mirrors must first be moved to the basic position. To do this, first adjust the left then the right mirror (this presumably refers to lhd so opposite for rhd) as described above. Both mirrors can now be adjusted at the same time by adjusting the left (right for rhd) mirror only."
My wife's Skoda Fabia is exactly the same. We've had several VW's etc with this mirror adjustment - all were synchronised.
I think 'basic position' in the handbooks means the starting position. I honestly can't see how they could ever have worked in an un-synchronised manner.
Thanks for your efforts. Exactly what my book says word for word. Occasionally, my mirrors don't adjust at all. Do you have that problem too? Then, say, the next day, they work again.
Never had any problems with the mirrors on any of the vehicles. It might just be that you have a switch/mirror problem that prevented the mirrors synchronising originally; hence the non adjusting problem you occasionally have.