306 XTDT 1.9 turbo problems - Pugzzzooommm
Hi,

Recently my 96 model 306 Turbo diesel is having starting isssues, most days it starts first time with not effort, others it cuts out after its started and more and more its just refusing to start. I've replaced the glowplugs and not really noticed the difference. I'm not sure if its connected but I feel its lost a bit of power, the turbo seems slower to kick in. I've just had a new exhaust fitted, its fully serviced and I've even paid £200 for a new clutch(Irrelavent). Anyone any ideas ?
306 XTDT 1.9 turbo problems - mph_turbo

Could be the fuel pump. Have you tried bleeding the pump when it cuts out? In particular, does the engine surge just before it dies?
306 XTDT 1.9 turbo problems - dieselhead
agree with mph could be fuel supply problem . Have you checked the transparent fuel line to pump for air bubbles when it cuts out?
306 XTDT 1.9 turbo problems - XTDemonT

My XTDT D8A does the surging then cuts off. Also the white dial looking thing on the side of the filter housing is leaking fuel. I'm going to open the housing during sunlight tomorrow. I went and got a new filter and some different o rings. Hopefully I wont need a new housing. A week ago Changing the glow plugs I found a split end on the boost compensator hose and cut a clean end. It had heaps more boost from around 2000rpm to around 4000 when the fuel supply couldn't keep up. But now its got fuel leaks.

306 XTDT 1.9 turbo problems - autumnboy
What make of fuel system do you have Bosch or Lucas?

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? because it sounds like its starving of fuel or air locking, and have you checked to ensure that none of the hoses between the turbo and manifold have split or blown off causing a loss of boost.
306 XTDT 1.9 turbo problems - Pugzzzooommm
I don't know, I just did a full service so everything is clean and new. Could it be a faulty dash light and the plugs aren't actually heating ?
306 XTDT 1.9 turbo problems - RichardW
Probably an air leak - especially if you disturbed the diesel filter during the service. Before starting it next time try pumping the diesel primer bulb (over the driver's side engine mounting). It should be instantly firm - if not and it takes a few pumps to harden up then you have a leak. Engine should start straight away with it pumped up. Top of diesel filter is a good place to get a leak just after you have replaced the element!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....