Mondeo Cam Belt - MW
My brother has a 1999 1.8 Mondeo with 62,000 miles on it. He wants to keep it for about 4-5 years i.e. another 50,000 miles. He is keen to consider changing the cam belt, as he can get the benifit of it. Also a snapped belt is a disarster. Five Ford dealers in south Essex all quoted about £320 (incl VAT) for a new belt and pulleys. £75 for parts plus labour and VAT. One asked why change it when it is good for 100K. I know these belts are good, for 80k plus, but is it a risk to keep the old one. I suggested change it at 70k. Also it seems expensive to me. I like the idea of a Ford change because if it snaps there is some comeback, and they can tension it properly. Anyone know of a Ford dealer in the area who is cheaper?
Mondeo Cam Belt - oldtoffee
If 5 out of 5 have quoted you £320 I'd think another Ford dealer won't be far off the same. I had mine changed last year by a good independent for £180 including tensioners. HJ recommends the Mondeo Enthusiast Group website so hopefully its OK with the Mods if I post here a relevant URL which may help you.

tinyurl.com/2ahvm
Mondeo Cam Belt - henry k
If 5 out of 5 have quoted you £320 I'd think
another Ford dealer won't be far off the same.

Not sure of that.

If you have a choice of dealers then do check out Ford's wesite.
You put in your vehicle reg or VIN and then from the service page select cambelt. You can get an instant online quote.
You can then compare dealers prices.
I would suggest a call to verify the web price.
I have saved a lot but it is an easy 100mile round trip for me.
My last service online was £110 for a Focus. Dealer on arrival said £150 but when I quoted what was on the web he immediately changed it to £110 with no complaints. It costs £165 in my area.
So worth a try.
Mondeo Cam Belt - DL
Wish I could get away charging that sort of cash for a 'simple' Zetec belt change!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link