Corolla 1.6 SR 6-Speed - arnold2
Thinking of trading in my rather well-used (but reliable, apart from the gearbox whine ?bearing?) Corolla old-shape 1.4 (no air-con or other goodies) for a 1.6 old-shape at much lower mileage - mainly because I know the Corolla now, so know what to look for, and the SR sorts out all the things about my car I don't like - floppy suspension, more engine poke and 6-speed box for the motorway.

Should be able to do this for about 3K with p/x, sound a good deal ? Anyone any experience with the SR ....

I'm a bit worried about the new shape one (secondhand) - there seem to be a few posts here about reliability issues.
Corolla 1.6 SR 6-Speed - Martin Wall
The new shape Corolla is supposedly a much nicer car - never driven one but it feels nicer inside. I had an old shape Corolla to drive for a few days a couple of years ago and I hated it. Poor handling, ugly looking, noisy, etc.

As to whether your deal is any good depends upon the age, mileage and condition of the cars in question. If it was my money I'd probably look at the new shape Corolla first if that was within budget.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.