Battery warning light on MK2 Golf - ageofempires
Morning,

I hope everyone is well,

The battery warning light on my Mk2 Golf has started flashing intermittently. It happens at both low and high revs although seemingly not in the midrange. I cleaned the terminal clamps and replaced the battery with no change. When I gun the throttle the lights get brighter, would this indicate that the generator is working ok? Any ideas? I must admit that electrics are not my strong point.
Battery warning light on MK2 Golf - Peter D
Worn out brushes on replaceable regulator unit, obtain same and change soon before you damage the diode pack as well. Regards Peter
Thanks Peter, is the full name the regulator unit? Is it something that I can change myself?
Battery warning light on MK2 Golf - Dynamic Dave
I cleaned the terminal clamps and replaced the battery with no change.

Did you also clean the earthing points on the bodywork and engine?
Morning Dynamic!

No I didnt - will try that next I think...
Battery warning light on MK2 Golf - Ian D
As Peter mentioned the diode/regulator pack can be replaced. If you have Bosch alternator the diode/reg pack costs about £15 from LSUK (Lucas), German and Swedish or Euro Car Parts. Remove two flat head bolts and the the reg lifts out, insert new one and refit the 2 bolts and all should be well.

If you have a Valeo alternator the pack costs about twice as much and is more fiddly to fit but I can't remember exactly how as I last did one a long time ago but I do not think it was too tricky.
Battery warning light on MK2 Golf - GGH
I know the advice already given to you is the correct one, however at the same time I would also check for a clean electrical contact between the small dia. wires connected together by the battery terminal pinch bolts.A dirty contact there will cause many problems including overcharging.
Thanks guys, ill take a look at that. Have also noticed that the car is now getting really hard to start first thing in the morning but is fine at lunctime and in the evenings.

The two symptoms have to be related, surely?