Citroen AX Diesel? - Ian
Hi,
I am thinking about buying a Citroen AX Diesel and would like any comments/advice any common problems and owner experiences of this model.
Many thanks,
Ian
Re: Citroen AX Diesel? - David W
Ian,

Smashing little cars. My overall comment would be make sure it has a top service history. Both the body and engines are a bit lightweight and can't take the abuse some think diesels deserve.

I looked after one for a couple who drove it hard and ran minimal oil levels...you know the sort of thing. When they sold this at 70,000 miles it was worn out.

David
Re: Citroen AX Diesel? - darren sass
Ian,

I agree with David, these cars are excellent.

I had a 94 L reg 1.4 diesel that was so cheap to run, fuel economy never dipped below 70 mpg.

Build quality is a bit suspect on them. Most annoying problem on mine was a flickering speedometer needle.

Only problem during my year of ownership was that the clutch cable bracket snapped without warning.

If you go for a low spec one "Debut" the car only has 2 air vents, and is a nightmare to cool during summer.

Good luck

Darren
Re: Citroen AX Diesel? - Richard Hall
I'm not really sure I see the advantage over an AX 10 petrol. The diesel car is more expensive to buy, harder to find, needs more frequent oil changes and performance is about the same. Fuel economy is better, but when you are talking about 55mpg versus 70 mpg it seems a bit irrelevant somehow. I owned two AX10s and loved them. Check carefully for front end damage - the front wheels can lock under heavy braking. Both my AXs had the front end repanelled - one due to my driving, the other by the previous owner. Post 1992 cars have much much better interiors.
Re: Citroen AX Diesel? - Darcy Kitchin
My wife runs a '94 AX Debut diesel. It has done 97K miles and regularly gives 65+ mpg and is in a low tax bracket. Yes, the speedo needle twitches and I have replaced the rear brake shoes when the self-adjusting mechanism siezed. It's a thoroughly viceless little car although I wouldn't want to have an accident in one.
Ventilation? Ours is a 5 door and I don't see summer heat as a problem. Make sure the spare wheel cage is intact, full of wheel and that you can wind the release bolt down.
Good luck.
Re: Citroen AX Diesel? - Chris
Hang on a minute Richard 55mpg vs 70 mpg not worth it? If I said I could reduce your fuel bill by 40 percent, would you say it wasn't worth it?

AX - great to drive, terrible to crash.

Chris
Of course I meant 30 percent. The point is the same. Darn keyboards, numbers next to one another...
Re: Citroen AX Diesel? - John Davis
So are the pedals in your car. Please don't come down my road :-(
John Davis wrote:
>
> So are the pedals in your car. Please don't come down my
> road :-(

It's ok, I'd probably hit the wrong jouse ;-)

Chris
Chris

If you do 12,000 miles a year, 70 mpg against 55 mpg will save you about £175. But the diesel AX will need servicing twice as often as the petrol - so reckon on one extra service at (say) £100, unless you can do the work yourself. The diesel has wider, more expensive tyres and a much bigger battery than the AX10 petrol, so you will have to pay more when these need replacing. And since you paid more for the car to start with, depreciation should account for the rest of the difference.

I'm not saying the AX diesel isn't a good car - it is - just pointing out that with little lightweight superminis, the economics of diesel ownership don't make so much sense as they do with bigger vehicles. And since petrol AXs are easier to find than diesels, there's no point in Ian limiting his choice of vehicle if it makes no difference financially.
Richard,

You're taking an extreme slant to negate the diesel benefit.

Both the 1.0 petrol and diesel will need a service at 6000 miles if you value the engine.

Even if you regard the diesel as needing the extra "service" in fact all it needs is an oil change. Oil and filter no more than £15. Anyone running the bangernomics system should at least be prepared to do that small task at home. Even if not just look out for the special offers at fast fit outlets where they will do an oil/filter change for £19.99. Just remember to refuse that essential set of brake discs.

There is another point to a diesel. If the battery/glowplugs are decent it will start every morning with enthusiasm and pull like a steam train from the first revolution. Smaller older petrol engines can often suffer starting/idling/stalling faults this time of year that really annoy short distance commuter owners.

I would not disagree with the overall thought that you need to cost this out and not have your choice narrowed by an irrational pursuit of the diesel. But they can make a small car feel a lot more solid and dependable.

David
Re: Citroen AX Diesel? - andy bairsto
The big problem in the uk is the cost of diesel, this morning 1.44dm in Essen, with euro petrol(you cannot by this in the UK) 1.83dm .This puts adifferent perspective on running a diesel even if road tax is dearer.As far as a Citrön AX is concerned it is an excellent little car along with its Peugot counterpart.
Re: Citroen AX Diesel? - Ian
Hi,
Thank you for all your advice, a bit concerned about the safety of the car, life I think is a bit more precious than fuel economy!
May look at the ZX.
Best Wishes,
Ian
David

I'm not anti diesel. If I was buying a sensible new car it would be a Golf PD130, no question. But I can't agree with you about ageing diesels being less troublesome than ageing petrols - burnt out glow plugs, dead timer units and the progressive loss of compression that comes with old age are all things you need to take into account. And every diesel I have ever driven was noticeably gutless until properly warmed up.

I agree with you about the sense of more regular oil changes - on an old diesel with plenty of miles on it I would suggest every 3,000 - 4,000 miles if you want to keep it in good shape. Maybe I exaggerated the service cost a little, but then my mother had just rung me to tell me about the very nice friendly garage who had 'only' charged her £95 for an intermediate service (i.e. an oil change) on her petrol AX......
Richard,

Not going to post to the last word on this, guess you either have a diesel bias or not. I do obviously.

It is fair to say they make more sense in larger vehicles so I'm pleased to see Ian is thinking of the ZX. That's the cheapest P.306 you'll find.

Post another thread on the possible ZX Ian and we'll argue that one out.

David
Re: Citroen AX Diesel? - Ian
Hi,
Thanks again for all your suggestions and comments.
I have been talking to a neighbour who owns a Peugeot 405 diesel ex-taxi and has said that they are much stronger and durable his has over 300K miles on the clock. He has worked for a taxi firm as a mechanic.
I think this could be the answer!
Regards Ian.
Re: Citroen AX Diesel? - Dan Jeffery
Ian,

Just one word of caution (and I am agreeing with Chris on this one) - Some years back I was driving a Mark 1 Fiesta and someone pulled out in front of me in a brand new (P reg at the time) AX which I subsequently ran into at about 15 mph. I mangled up the front of my Fester but it was still driveable and not significantly damaged, unlike the AX, whose rear I completely destroyed.

The boot it turns out is made from plastic and offers no protection at all. It turns out I had bent the actual structure of the car but worst of all all the glass and various other car parts (such as the rear wiper) had ended up on the back seat and had anybody been sitting there I think they would have been hurt. Neither of us, myself or the driver of the AX could believe the state the car was in and how Citroen got the car to pass safety checks I had no idea. At the time I was generally driving a Volvo 360 and I think if I'd hit it in that it would have been much worse.

Am sure the car is very economical etc and would probably make a good run around, but I would never recommend anyone get in the back of one! If you're thinking of putting children of whatever variety in the back of it I'd buy something a bit sturdier...

Good luck!

Dan
Re: Citroen AX Diesel? - Brian
Chris wrote "It's ok, I'd probably hit the wrong jouse ;-)"

More like the wrong key !